Opinions on this KM school in Northern VA?

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm wondering what you all take from the website here- it's a local school, and seems to be well-regarded by the students I've spoken to. I'm just curious how the website presents it here:

http://www.kravworks.com/about_us.html

The various organizations confuse me a bit, so I'm wondering if some of our seasoned KM students can provide insight.

Thanks!
:)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I looked at the instructor list. When I got to the bottom and saw the names, and if they are in fact affiliated with this school, then yes, I'd say its a legit school. Perhaps one of our resident Krav Maga members can add further. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I looked at the instructor list. When I got to the bottom and saw the names, and if they are in fact affiliated with this school, then yes, I'd say its a legit school. Perhaps one of our resident Krav Maga members can add further. :)
Those are guest instructors that he's brought in... For all the talk about Krav Maga there, I don't see any actual listing of the owner/founder's credentials in KM. He's a Gracie Jiu Jitsu black belt, though. I can't help but wonder why he doesn't seem to provide his Krav Maga credentials.

I'm not personally familiar with the school, and I'm not sure how their associations and different splits work out.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are guest instructors that he's brought in... For all the talk about Krav Maga there, I don't see any actual listing of the owner/founder's credentials in KM. He's a Gracie Jiu Jitsu black belt, though. I can't help but wonder why he doesn't seem to provide his Krav Maga credentials.

I'm not personally familiar with the school, and I'm not sure how their associations and different splits work out.

I saw this:

"Krav Works is proud and privileged to be affiliated with the Israeli Krav Maga Association and Master Haim Gidon, the world’s leading authority on Krav Maga."

GM Gidon, IMHO, is a legit teacher of Krav Maga. I have no idea as to how much training this guy has with him, how often he sees him, etc. There is a member here who trains in Haim Gidons system, so hopefully he'll chime in.

Spork3245

Orange Belt
Reaction score
S. Asher Cohen, the chief instructor at this school, trained with David Kahn briefly in NYC back around 2005. He met Yigal Arbiv and Nir Maman once or twice at a seminar, and has (to my knowledge) never trained with or directly under Grand Master Haim Gidon. However, none of the "Guest Instructors" listed have ever been at his facility, and he has never gone through the IKMA's instructors course and is not a certified IKMA instructor. Also, to my knowledge, he has never been to Israel.

AKA: He's exaggerating and telling half-truths.

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Spork; where did you get those details?

Is it possible that some of the other instructors are, in fact, certified?

Spork3245

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Spork; where did you get those details?

Is it possible that some of the other instructors are, in fact, certified?

None of them are certified by the IKMA.
I thankfully know who's real and who isn't. I will message you the details of how I know what I know, as I do not wish to "derail" this thread. :)

Last edited:

JKDWay

White Belt
Reaction score
Mind if you fill me in, too? I would genuinely appreciate it as I will be relocating to northern Virginia near the end of the summer.

Latest Discussions