Gracie Combatives

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And this might sound silly but I view a Gracie Academy and their brand of "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" as a separate rank and art from BJJ as a whole. But that's just me in my own brain so take it for what you will.
I'd say rather that BJJ is a big country with lots of room for different people to have different focuses. I train under a Carlson Gracie lineage, but my personal approach to BJJ is pretty close to what Rener and Ryron preach. Some of my friends and training partners take a very different approach. We're all still doing the same art.

DarkConflict

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been the main Gracie Academy in Torrance and I like the program structure.

You know exactly what you're going to learn that day and the next.

The punch block series is also good and effective. I've been working with a Purple belt on some of the combatives.

I also did a groupon at Royce Gracie school in Harbor City. There they showed some Gracie Combatives also.

On my first roll there I used some of the Gracie Combatives and the guy I was rolling against laughed.

He asked "you been to the gracie academy?" I said "yea" and he replied "I can tell"

It can work.

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Apparantly, they thought so too. It is now a "combatives belt" to remove the "blue belt" designation altogether. The belt is a white belt with a blue stripe running down the length/middle.

It also lacks the black bar that typical GJJ/BJJ belts have. Students, online or otherwise, must engage in three types of sparring during their test:

Gi
No-gi
Fight Simulation with "bad guy" throwing punches

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well that is a step in the right direction I guess.

Huge step in the right direction in my view. I figured something had to be getting ready to change. There was no way that Pedro Sauer was going to go out of his way to interact with them if they were doing online rankings, so this had to be in the works for some time. Glad to see they made the change.

Latest Discussions