open or clenched hands

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
This weekend I went to a seminar about self defense it was imparted by a cousing in law who is a retired french legionarie (from the french Legion), my cousing has his blood baptize in Sarajevo in 1992 as a blue helmet for the UN, well Bernard (his the real name) stay in the Legion for 15 years and he was in war in Cozovo too, so he saw the elephant!.

The only MA training Bernard has is boxing and the MA that hes been taught in the french army. In this seminar I could see that most of the techs Bernard knows are takedowns (judo), punches (boxing) and some kind of sumitions (jujitsu??) and a few kicks.

Bernard in close combat quaster like to use a semi low ready stance with both hands open (exactly the way I do) and he told us he likes both hands open to use them for blocking,parriying and grabing if necesary or for take downs, he only clenches his fists upon impacting the bad guy.

What do you think?

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My sensei believed certain movements would be quicker AND stronger if made open-handed. I accepted the premise as intuitively correct so that is how I have trained over the years in karate, and I certainly have built up a repertoire of entries based on an open-handed trap and then grab.

I don't know if it is a self-fulfilling prophecy or not. I'm inclined to think Sensei is correct just back looking at "sword" arts like aikido - all the techniques are invariably practiced with the open hands as a beginning response.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
The magical answer as always is "it depends"

Most of the time I prefer open hand for flexibility in my technique but there are plenty of times I see a block where my fist is used specifically. I love blocking in to joints at the wrist, top of hand, inside of knee, feet etc. Hurts like heck and makes the person not want to throw anything else.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both of course, every stituation will call for one or the other.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To add to what other's have said. An open handed stance leads uninvolved people watching into thinking that you are not the aggressor. Better for you if the law becomes involved.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For beginners I teach most techs closed handed, primarily for safety reasons. I see too many students breaking fingers and stoving fingers in sparring, either from getting fingers caught in their opponent's dobahks or miss timing their blocks.

From a purely practical sense, assuming you are proficient with open hands, I see the advantage with many open handed defensive and offensive techs. Spear hands, ridge hands, knife hands, palm strikes, etc. are open handed techs that offer a wide variety of attack angles and take advantage of most striking areas. Furthermore, open handed techs lend themselves to easier joint locks, throws, etc.. . Closed hand techs can be more powerful depending on the situation, so I still use them quite a bit.

So I guess I agree with dortiz on this on, "it depends"

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
As Ive progressed I tend to do almost everything open handed as it allows for me to grab for wrist locks etc and seems to feel smoother.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to leave my hands open too. Like others, I do strike joints and nerve points in blocks, and some of these are most effectively done with a closed hand, others open. Closing the hand is faster than opening it (for several physiologic reasons) so I prefer to start with the hand open. Try it. With the hand open, most people will be able to start a technique and close the fist before it strikes. Now reverse. Most people who start with a closed fist will actually open the hand before they start the strike.

The exception, for me, is sparring in which the rules do not allow grappling. Then I tend to close the fists to remind myself not to grab.

G

Gary Crawford

First of all, I think this thread should be in more of a general martial arts category since we are talking about more than taekwondo. I agree with the open hand for all the reasons mentioned( able to grab,being faster,ect) but for ME it has to do with extension. I use a vertical(chinese) fist and when I tighten up at the end of my punch, I get a few more inches of inpact and reach. For those who don't know what I'm talking about,try this: Stand with feet at shoulder width, hold open hand(either one) in either chambered position or in the center of your body. imagine a verticle stick at the end of your reach(like a broomstick),very quickly reach out and grab the stick. You should find that as you do this faster and faster,your reach is longer and longer. I hope this helps.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The open hand is nonthreatening, which allows you the opportunity to have them up in front of you. People, when talking, will gesture with their hands, so as a self defense position it feels very natural. Some of our best strikes are open handed, palm heel, fingers to the eyes, and even a well placed slap to the side of the face will open the door for many follow UPS.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"The open hand is nonthreatening"

My street guard is turning slightly and raising my right hand as if thinking and touching my chin. My left hand crosses like a knife hand body block just touching my elbow.

What looks to everyone like "pensive Dave " is actually "ready to roll Dave ".

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing about open hands is that it tends to keep you more relaxed. You are faster when you are relaxed than when you are tense. Having said that, there is a lot of application for closed hand technique as well. As pretty much everyone has said, there is no better or worse; depends on the situation.

I prefer the open hand approach, for all of the reasons enumerated in previous responses.

Daniel

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing about open hands is that it tends to keep you more relaxed. You are faster when you are relaxed than when you are tense. Having said that, there is a lot of application for closed hand technique as well. As pretty much everyone has said, there is no better or worse; depends on the situation.

I prefer the open hand approach, for all of the reasons enumerated in previous responses.

Daniel

As you has worte Daniel I like use open hand the most and it's quite simple, with open hands I can block or parry and grbing at the same time so then delivered a strike, ar arma lock or even a trow tech.

Manny

KirkhamsEbooks.com

White Belt
Reaction score
An open hand has several advantages

I believe there is a greater tendency to follow through the attacker more since it's difficult for some to clench the fist without contracting antagonistic muscle groups as well

The heel of your hand is much less likely to be damaged the the small bones of the hand

You can grab after striking easier to control your attacker

Rick

chungdokwan123

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First of all, I think this thread should be in more of a general martial arts category since we are talking about more than taekwondo.
Agreed, Good Sir. Remember........"the way of the foot and fist" is what this particular forum is about......and I'm still only an impressionable yellow belt. You guys wouldn't want to get me into trouble with my instructor by influencing me into an open hand posture, would you?

I thought that was funny!

Honestly, we are reminded from time to time, when caught doing techniques with fists not tightly clenched when required.........with a slight rap on the knuckles........lovingly applied, of course.

It works wonders to improve the focus on this particular issue.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
cupped. Ready to be opened or closed(first to boshiken, then to fudoken), establishing a guard with the outside of the forarms.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am a judoka as well as a taekwondoin, so I always fight/spar with open hands, because it allows me to grapple if need be. My original TKD instructor taught us that our hands should be loose, and only tightened to a fist on striking, allowing faster motion from loose muscles than tightened muscles.

Latest Discussions