Open mat time? How common is it?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently joined a gym that has equipment you might expect to find at a gym such as free weights, machines, cardio gear. However, it also has a large mat area that is designated for functional strength exercises...plyometrics, body weight, swiss ball, etc. They also have a traditional heavy bag and speed bag, as well as a Wavemaster XXL.

This made me curious...how many of you are a part of schools have "open mat" periods where students can come in and work on their own material on the mats, without being part of a class? Just curious :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My current school has plenty of open mat time. We also have enough space (2 large mat area, 2 MMA cages, a boxing ring, a row of heavy bags, and a weight lifting area) that it's easy to find a place to work on your own stuff even while classes are going on.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do. 3 training floors (2 matted), heavy bag area, strength training area, 4 wooden dummys, Outside training area with large tires for flipping or sledge hammer work, an area for windsprints and rope work. We usually have several people working on their own in some form or fashion.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't have any formal "open mat time", and I'm not sure if the Y would approve, if only for liability reasons. However, it is well known that Sue and I are there an hour before class starts, and anybody who wants to come in early is welcome. Some come in and ask for extra help on some form or technique they're working on, some just come in and do their own thing.
I guess that's the same thing, just without making it official. :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My old Kenpo school did, and the school that I share time with does as well. At my old kenpo schoo we usually had several blackblets around during open mat to help people out if they needed some assistance, it was effectively free mini private lessons. Very worthwhile for those who showed.

Egon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my school it's requirement from 1st degree black belt.

Black belts two times a week have class with instructor and three times a week they have access to mats, weights, cardio equipment, boxing bags, sparring gear..where they do what they want / need.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since we don't have a permanent location (each class has only its own allotted time at the various venues we use), we don't have any open mat time. I really wish we did. Practicing at a "normal" gym can be a little weird.

Latest Discussions