One Steps at full speed?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When you practice one steps, do u do them at full speed?
Im my school when we work on one steps, they are controlled and u know it is coming. Of course to learn the technique and stuff but after a few times I think you should act like it is a real situation. If you mess up the person attacking should take advantage so you learn.

I feel like for one steps to be truly effective they need to be done at total full speed and not flat footed and person should now know that it is coming.

That will IMHO give you a chance to see how u would normally move.

What are your feelings?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
The way I've done them, is when you first learn them, they're done slow and we get faster as we advance or get used to it. I think that once you get the feel of it, get faster.

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, we do them slow when we first learn it, but i don't think there is an option here. hehehe..

Anyways, our requirement is speed, and how close you can get to your partner without hurting them... it is expected to be very close to your target, only the block can be a real block , all the other follow-up kicks/punches must be within an inch (less if you're higher rank).

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Up to green is when the distance has to be more than an inch for us. We're expected to really block hard, which feels/ seems like full contact sometimes (ouch).

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As with most everyone else, we start slow and build up speed as ability to control allows. Even then, it isn't very realistic. I understand the liability, but hey, we're not playing patticake. I do have one partner that we'll take it to the next level. Top speed, close (if you make contact, oops, oh well) and if you miss a move, you pay for it. The instructor doesn't really condone it, but he knows we're not going to hold him responsible and will turn a blind eye. We appreciate it, so we don't flaunt it in front of other students.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For us, one-steps are preparation for full sparring. The idea is to learn distance, timing, basic movement, getting used to people striking at you, etc. The speed naturally picks up as you get better and at higher ranks there is no need to "measure distance" before you start. If something is done "wrong", you just keep going and adjust yourself as you go.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We start out slow and work the proper techniques for each one and as time progress so does the speed for the 1-steps
Terry

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now see here is where I see conflict.
We all see it as a step right behind sparring.
But when you spar, are you allowed to aim anywhere or are you only allowed to go for like the chest and head?

To me what is the purpose of doing one steps where I am free to strike anywhere (i.e. legs) but when it comes to sparring I am confined to the chest guard?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
To me what is the purpose of doing one steps where I am free to strike anywhere (i.e. legs) but when it comes to sparring I am confined to the chest guard?

I agree with you in that sence Ace.

When we do step sparring or what we call "combat tactics" it's like you mentioned. We elbow, go for the legs, ect. But when we spar, we can't do that.

Anyways, to answer the question above, we do step sparring for distance and control in the beginning. But the higher you get, we have to hit each other with speed accuracy, ect. The same this combat tactics, and self defense. It's fun now ;)

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
yea in my school we start out slow and them strat to go faster. I think it'sd good to start out slow just to get used to it

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Every one is to be demoed twice, a talk through, then full speed about half power. Contact should be made at upper belts, and realism is key.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
They should be executed as fast as both partners are able to do them, and still do them correctly. Obviously, when someone is first learning one-steps, or three-steps, they'll have to go more slowly.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
The way I've done them, is when you first learn them, they're done slow and we get faster as we advance or get used to it. I think that once you get the feel of it, get faster.

Same. It just makes sense.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Now see here is where I see conflict.
We all see it as a step right behind sparring.
But when you spar, are you allowed to aim anywhere or are you only allowed to go for like the chest and head?

When sparring you points are only scored when hitting approved areas in TDK this would include the head (2 pts) , stomach/ chest area, collar, back (above the belt to either side of the spine).

Low kicks are good for setting up other kicks - feint low to draw their hands/ guard down then kick high for the point(s).

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach one-steps at 1/2 speed. One-steps are a tool to to transition from forms to sparring, I want my students to have the correct technique before adding speed.

Flat footed? I call it solid sole, a good deep stance with both feet flat on the ground (not up on the balls, no bouncing).

When, and only when, they (or I) have the correct technique down do we apply speed.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Faye said:
Well, we do them slow when we first learn it, but i don't think there is an option here. hehehe..

Anyways, our requirement is speed, and how close you can get to your partner without hurting them... it is expected to be very close to your target, only the block can be a real block , all the other follow-up kicks/punches must be within an inch (less if you're higher rank).
At some point you should turn it up and let the body fight back. It will help you really see the flaws. Every move has a counter and at some level you should play with real attacks that will hurt you if not dealt with. Play with it.
Sean

Latest Discussions