One for the ladies in Krav Maga

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Found this clip on youtube and was very impressed. Actually saw a couple of defenses that we've used in my aikido class.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D Unintentionally, your link just goaded me into giving some eejut a bit of a sarcy-slapping for the nonsense he spouted in the Comments section :eek:.

On topic, that was interesting to see. My only criticism would be the over-focus on groin attacks. It's something that when I did Lau Gar we were cautioned against as every man alive has instinctive defensive reactions for that sort of strike and, as we all know, there is actually a delay between successful contact and effect that permits an attacker to do something 'nasty' to you before it kicks in.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As usual, Mark, you are spot on. When I studied kempo there was a seemingly inordinate amount of groin strikes. The problem with too much reliance on a groin strike is that an effective groin strike is actually very hard to actuate. All guys have that split second of "Oh, crap!" reaction the first time the strike is thrown, after that it looses some of its surprise effect. There is also, as you stated, the very ingrained instinct to protect that area without even thinking about it. There are certainly places for a good groin strike but relying too heavily on it will get you in trouble. I like Krav Maga and would seriously think about adding it as an adjunct to my aikido training if there were any schools in my area.

And here's hoping that "Thuga" is indeed kept safe by his fan boy status. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The groin attacks generally seemed to be used as setups or to be followed up... but I don't like reliance on them 'cause I know of multiple cases where a groin attack wasn't effective on a determined assailant. Unless you can strike or kick hard enough to shatter the pelvis or otherwise do serious, debilitating harm -- I like the knees as a target better. It doesn't take nearly as much to do effective harm... Same thing with the eyes and the throat...

But my bigger problem with the video was that the attackers all were passively receiving the "self-defense." If you want to show real self-defense... at least some of the demo has to include a resisting attacker.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was that a titty twister at 00:21 ???
:ultracoolYes, yes it was. Or as a friend of mine calls it, a nerple! That is a painful little distraction if you get it just right. Sometimes a little distraction goes a long way and a nerple is as good in a "pinch" as any other.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hopefully, they do it Ninja style & just pinch a little skin with the thumb nail & then twist. That's the worst. I have had terrible bruises from that pinch.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hopefully, they do it Ninja style & just pinch a little skin with the thumb nail & then twist. That's the worst. I have had terrible bruises from that pinch.
Yeah, those will make a grown man scream like a little girl. :D

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like to have seen how that works had the guy put a real choke hold on her. Standing there at arms length giving a little 2-hand choke is as about as unrealistic as they come, IMO. I am genuinely curious how it is handled when there is no space to work in and her balance has been taken (gender aside).

Loved the nerple, that was funny! :p

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like to have seen how that works had the guy put a real choke hold on her. Standing there at arms length giving a little 2-hand choke is as about as unrealistic as they come, IMO. I am genuinely curious how it is handled when there is no space to work in and her balance has been taken (gender aside).

Loved the nerple, that was funny! :p
You mean with arms bent because he's pulled her in close for intimidation or as a one arm choke around the throat from the rear? If it's the first then the "nerple" combined with a firm knee strike to the groin would work well enough to loosen the attacker enough to get a little room for more counter strikes. I'm telling ya those nerples hurt, man. I've gotten to the point nowadays that every time my wife moves her hands toward my chest I cover with my hands quick!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You mean with arms bent because he's pulled her in close for intimidation or as a one arm choke around the throat from the rear? If it's the first then the "nerple" combined with a firm knee strike to the groin would work well enough to loosen the attacker enough to get a little room for more counter strikes. I'm telling ya those nerples hurt, man. I've gotten to the point nowadays that every time my wife moves her hands toward my chest I cover with my hands quick!

The choke I was thinking of was from behind, wrapping the arm around the neck (maybe a knife to throat instead of choke) and simultaneously shoving their hips forward with the other hand while cinching up on the arm choke.

Yeah, I believe you about those nerples! :D

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The choke I was thinking of was from behind, wrapping the arm around the neck (maybe a knife to throat instead of choke) and simultaneously shoving their hips forward with the other hand while cinching up on the arm choke.

Yeah, I believe you about those nerples! :D

I think that the point of Combatives of all kinds is to not let yourself get in that kind of situation. Though, I'm sure that the counters would be similar to the standard grappling responses.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

OUCH!, those are called purple nerples.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that the point of Combatives of all kinds is to not let yourself get in that kind of situation. Though, I'm sure that the counters would be similar to the standard grappling responses.

I agree that one would want to do something before the attacker gets it 'ON'. I can guess what the response would be like. At least I would expect the person to do certain things. :)

Latest Discussions