On the Injury bench

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
so just hit bsck from doctors. I've had a painful shoulder for nearly a month. I first went 2 weeks after I got it and they said it was just muscle soreness and that I could carry on training. Then it got worse went back again they said the same. Got worse again then went again and now apparently it's tendinitis...that sucks because it could've been sorted ages ago if the doctors were half competent but whatever I'm on antiiflamitries and gel and if that doesn't work I'm going full jon Jones and getting a roid Injection. Well guess that's a few weeks off training formally but will do some abs and kicks and punches with my left arm I guess

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that bro... yeah it's a shame when things get overlooked or misdiagnosed... rest up and just do what you can training wise, hope it heals up soon. Am also out on injury, it's not easy ay!

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
so just hit bsck from doctors. I've had a painful shoulder for nearly a month. I first went 2 weeks after I got it and they said it was just muscle soreness and that I could carry on training. Then it got worse went back again they said the same. Got worse again then went again and now apparently it's tendinitis...that sucks because it could've been sorted ages ago if the doctors were half competent but whatever I'm on antiiflamitries and gel and if that doesn't work I'm going full jon Jones and getting a roid Injection. Well guess that's a few weeks off training formally but will do some abs and kicks and punches with my left arm I guess

I agree with you should stop training.
When I am injured, I find it is a good time to work on balance and body control throw yoga.
I very lightly stretch the injured area or not at all depending on the injury.
I work on a technique where you focus on relaxing your toes one at a time and slowly work up from there. When you get to the chess relax one arm at a time all the way to your fingers one at a time. A good yoga teacher can explain it better than me. They can also help with pain naturally.

I also like working on my breathing in a horse stance.
I wish I could explain better, hope this helps.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I just want to be clear. My "like" is to show support. I don't like that you are injured.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also just bought myself an ice pack to help ice it. Anything to get rid of it faster

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with you should stop training.
When I am injured, I find it is a good time to work on balance and body control throw yoga.
I very lightly stretch the injured area or not at all depending on the injury.
I work on a technique where you focus on relaxing your toes one at a time and slowly work up from there. When you get to the chess relax one arm at a time all the way to your fingers one at a time. A good yoga teacher can explain it better than me. They can also help with pain naturally.

I also like working on my breathing in a horse stance.
I wish I could explain better, hope this helps.
Yeah the yoga stuff isn't my style tbh. I have nothing against it just not for me I'll just work on my other hand for boxing and keep the bad one at my side (bad habit I know but oh well) and do abs and squats for strength and conditioning and walking for cardio. Think running would put some strain on it with the arm movement

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah the yoga stuff isn't my style tbh. I have nothing against it just not for me I'll just work on my other hand for boxing and keep the bad one at my side (bad habit I know but oh well) and do abs and squats for strength and conditioning and walking for cardio. Think running would put some strain on it with the arm movement

I get it , like everything else it requires a good teacher, otherwise it is not much good.
Look on the positive side, it is mostly women that go to yoga class.

The hard part about training other parts of your body is you may tense the muscles you don't to tense which increases the time required for recover. It has to be MA maybe take a Tai Chi class it may help and might increase your Knowledge of MA.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not fun. I've dealt with some recurring tendinitis in my arms, and that stuff is just no good. What I do recall is that if you have an activity that you feel the tendinitis in (in other words, if doing it hurts), then you have to either stop it or find a way to alter it so it doesn't aggravate the tendinitis. Fortunately, I was able to change some things in training to let it heal without fully sitting out, and just had to skip some exercises (or do them a lighter weights) for a few months.

I got to the point where I'd check the areas before exercise. If the tendon was tender to a rough massage, I took it easy. If it felt good under a rough massage, then I'd test it out with the exercise I wanted to do.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well it's been only a day and I've been icing it and putting the gel on and it's actually lot less painful in fact barely any pain now. My whole though feels fatigued like I've done a lot of press ups or weights but guess that's just the healing process

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well it's been only a day and I've been icing it and putting the gel on and it's actually lot less painful in fact barely any pain now. My whole though feels fatigued like I've done a lot of press ups or weights but guess that's just the healing process
such is the vagaries of diagnoses, you may not have an accurate assessment now of your injury

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
such is the vagaries of diagnoses, you may not have an accurate assessment now of your injury
Wel I've had a weeks worth of gel and tablets and it's only been a day and it's already completely better with 0 pain. Obviously I'll continue for the week but looking good. Which is good I really didn't want a cortisone shot

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well done the week and it's not perfect yet. But it's way better than it was. I've been just training kenpo the past week since it's less impact on the shoulder just have to be careful when doing techniques. But tried Krav Maga last night and wasn't to bad but still felt it so probably will take another week off the hard stuff like Muay Thai and bjj. Don't want to get it worse. I've started some resistance band work I've found online for shoulder tendinitis and Icing and heating it daily

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just a long shot on this one. I used to have a similar problem but it turned out to be carpal tunnel syndrome due to the mouse that I used. My wrist and hand never had pain but my shoulder did. Could you be experiencing something similar, where another seemingly harmless activity is actually the cause of it?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a long shot on this one. I used to have a similar problem but it turned out to be carpal tunnel syndrome due to the mouse that I used. My wrist and hand never had pain but my shoulder did. Could you be experiencing something similar, where another seemingly harmless activity is actually the cause of it?
I had some tendinitis a couple of years ago from the same source.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe but the treatment I've been on for tendinitis has been working so seems it is that. The pains no where near as bad as it was. Not 100% yet but I can actually throw punches with no pain now

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had some tendinitis a couple of years ago from the same source.
Pain can be tricky sometimes. We usually treat what hurts but sometimes that's not where the problem is. I think that's where doctors and people in general go wrong sometimes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pain can be tricky sometimes. We usually treat what hurts but sometimes that's not where the problem is. I think that's where doctors and people in general go wrong sometimes.
Even PT sometimes forgets to talk about how to avoid whatever motion caused the initial injury. I've had to remember to ask those kinds of questions ("What motion usually causes this?").

Latest Discussions