No more Training

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
TerryC said:
I'm not 100% sure what caused my injuries, but the Dr. suspects the pivoting on one leg while kicking....at my weight which is 250. This is the second time I've torn my right meniscus, and neither time did I actually feel the pain suddenly while doing something.

I had a pre-op consultation with the Dr. tuesday, and we talked quite extensively about what I can and cannot do in the future. This time he told me that practicing martial arts again is not out of the question......but only if I get my weight down to around 200 first. But even then he said personally he thinks I should not because if I damage my knee again it can't be fixed the third time.

I think at your level you can take your art and do what you want with it. You should be able to work around it and make your art "fit you" and not you "fit your art."

Many people have been in similar situations as you. One had an article written about him and "what he hid" and is in one of the current martial art magazines. I think it was last month. Great things have come from these kinds of situations. You're not going to be in a wheelchair, are you?

I have video tape of when my Gung Fu instructor was training me and there was a retired boxer in our group. He used to ride a Harley and had a serious accident and permantly injured his back. He limped and walked with a cane.

But on my tapes you wouldn't be able to tell that he limped and walked with a cane. He found an art that he could "tailor" to him with his limited mobilty.

What style Kempo do you practice if you don't mind me asking?

OP
T

TerryC

Well, modern medicine is wonderful, and I'm home now with an ice pack on my knee. So far no pain, although I guess that will change later today. The whole arthroscopic process seems to have advanced since my previous surgery about 10 years ago or so.

Anyway, the Dr. told me after surgery that my meniscus was torn on both the inside and outside, and he was able to repair one last time. The bad news is that the arthritis is much worse than it looked on the MRI. He said it was bone-to-bone contact in one spot, but he was able to "grind" a lot of it down, and that this fix should last a few more years.....if I take care of it.

He is not a martial artist, but has done some training previously, and as a sports orthopedic surgeon is familiar with the stresses put on the body doing various sports. He explained it all in medical terms, but basically it boils down to my pivoting while kicking that has done the damage. I guess if I weighed less it might not have happened, but he changed his attitude since our talk earlier this week, and told me that I'd better not do anything that causes me to pivot with all my weight on one leg.

I asked him why I'm not bothered much in my left knee, and he said it's pretty obvious that I favor kicking with my left, therefore have done a lot more pivoting on my right leg. He's right.....my left has always been my "power" leg.

So, I guess after I'm completely healed, maybe I can modify my forms to eliminate side kicks, roundhouse kicks, and be sure when I do forms that I wear shoes that pivot easily when doing any turns. Or something.

Hopefully I can figure out something......but I'm just not prepared to completely give it up just yet, even though my common sense tells me I should.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck with the recovery. I sure hope you can find something that's arm-based that you can do. Maybe even fencing?

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry C the most important thing here is that you heal yourself and the rest you can sort out later. Losing weight, what art to take or activity to be involved in, these decisions can wait. I hope you feel better soon! When you are well you will be able to think more clearly. In the meantime watch some funny movies - that always does it for me. :)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As MJ said, losing weight would be a definite thing you CAN do. I don't know what your optimum weight would be but I notice that taking off twenty pounds did wonders for me. I am on South Beach diet right now trying to lose the last ten. It helps my movement considerably. I can't take twisting, pivoting or jumping much as I have bone on bone in my knees. But i take glucosamine twice daily and ice and its working so far. One overweight gal in my class complains alot about her joints, knees and hips, back, ankles...but doesn't take the weight off. Really it can make a big difference but it takes commitment and eating lifestyle change. TW