Olympics

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to say. I've only seen a little bit of swimming and this gymnastics and don't know about either of them. Maybe the U.S. team will qualify in the top 8. So far it looks up in the air. :idunno:

OP
K

KempoJoe

Judo is on at 12.30 am going to try and watch it if I can stay up, watched some boxing today usa won by 3 points

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's a total shame that the judge changed the rules on the male gymnasts at the last minute. They had two days to change routines they'd worked for an entire year! It's heartbreaking for an athlete! Swimming has been great competition :duel: so far and the opening ceremony was awesome! :asian: How 'bout them statue people?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The more Olympics I see the older I feel.

Just saw "Miracle" yesterday. I remember watching that hockey game and going nuts when the US won.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We just got knocked out of the Judo. But we are holding our own in the board sailing and rowing!!! Go New Zealand, Go!!!.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do all right for a little country.

I hear Sarah Ulmar's (Cyclist) number 1 compitition has come off her bike and been injured!!
We only have one competitor in TKD so am looking forward to seeing that.

One of our swimmers did really well, set a new New Zealand Record and come first in his heat, but still come 12th over all….just goes to show how good the world’s swimmers are…..but we are still proud of how well he did.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
The more Olympics I see the older I feel.

Just saw "Miracle" yesterday. I remember watching that hockey game and going nuts when the US won.
Me too believe it or not. Just rented Miracle and watched it last night. I also remember watching that hockey game. It was an awesome victory for the USA. I do think it's unfortunate that the Olympics no longer consist of amatuers only. But other countries were sending their best to compete so I guess we needed to start allowing professional athletes to compete as well. I've been enjoying the events I've seen so far, mostly swimming, diving, and gymnastics. Seems like all the events I'm most interested in are on at ungodly hours. :(

OP
A

auxprix

I caught some womens' beach vb today, and our team is looking good. I also saw that backstroke heat where the american broke the olympic record.

I'm still shocked that the US basketball lost to Puerto Rico. I knew they wouldn't go all the way, but....Puerto Rico?

Shade Silverwing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
auxprix said:
I'm still shocked that the US basketball lost to Puerto Rico. I knew they wouldn't go all the way, but....Puerto Rico?
Puerto Rico has Carlos Arroyo, who is very good and underrated player.

Even still... PR isn't that good.

OP
A

Akula

Watched some fencing tonight (women's sabre) and it was pretty good coverage with some informed commentary.

I'm personally invested in two sports, swimming and modern pentathlon, so I'm trying to get as much of the swimming as I can, but I have to wait over a week to see any of the pentathlon. From previous contacts, I know several people that are competing over in Athens in these events.

I like it that the coverage isn't limited to just the 'big' sports but also exposing lesser known sports (at least to most of the US) like badminton, water polo....

So far, so good.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It gave me chill bumps when everyone started cheering for Iraq and the US. I also found it very gratifying when Korea marched into the stadium together not as north and south but as Korea.
Another cool note America airlifted the Iraqi team out of Iraq so they could compete.

V/R
Rick

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
It gave me chill bumps when everyone started cheering for Iraq and the US. I also found it very gratifying when Korea marched into the stadium together not as north and south but as Korea.
Another cool note America airlifted the Iraqi team out of Iraq so they could compete.

V/R
Rick

And the Afgahn flag bearer was a woman. The only offensive part for me was the inclusion of Palestine as a country. It gives legitimacy to a bunch of stateless terrorrists.

OP
A

auxprix

CanuckMA said:
And the Afgahn flag bearer was a woman. The only offensive part for me was the inclusion of Palestine as a country. It gives legitimacy to a bunch of stateless terrorrists.
:uhohh:

Woah there! Let's not lump all Palestinians into one category like that. I'll agree that they are not (yet) a country on their own, but they are a far cry from a nation of terrorists. They are a displaced people who are living in some of the worst conditions in the world, much of which is due to Israel's handling of the issue. I'm not taking sides, I think that both Israel and the Palistinian Authority is responsible for what is happening over there right now. I suggest that you be more cautious and take a more historical perspective before making such statements.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Ahh excuse me lol!

Anyway the reason they are displaced is that no other Arab Country wants them within their borders for a good reason. However the Arabs can mistreat them in every way but when Israel tries to work on the problem. The Arabs jump right in and say Wait a minute you can not do this to my Arab Brothers and Sisters. LOL!!! I find that bizarre and hysterical.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An American Woman won a gold medal in saber fencing. First US gold in fencing in over 100 years. Way to go!!!!

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I want to say "Thanks!" to Kenpojoe for posting about the Judo competition on Saturday and the times. I was able to program the VCR to tape it and I watched it the other day.
smilie_flagge20.gif
Thanks for the heads up! :asian:

Robyn
smilie_flagge13.gif
sport-smiley-022.gif
olympic.gif

Latest Discussions