Olympic Karate KO.

Nuuli

White Belt
Reaction score
Well one positive in this.....Karate Combat has offered contracts for a full contact rematch between the two.
Do you think the Iranian will accept such an offer? Hmmm! Love to see this rematch.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a sports Dr reaction to the now famous kick it provides more details and another view.

So a perfect storm of blue moving in with head in the proper place for this kick. Both motions contributed to the result. Shouldn't there be a consideration for blue's actions. I've seen kicks are the victim does that with their head and the results. How does the attacker control the opponents action? Poor moves on one's part shouldn't result in a Gold Medal.
I would like to see an interview with the judges who made the call.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you think the Iranian will accept such an offer? Hmmm! Love to see this rematch.

The Iranian is already on contract. The wait is to see if Hamedi from Saudi will accept.

Who knows if he will or not with the support he is getting from his country. He has already recieved 1.5 million dollars for winning silver.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would like to see an interview with the judges who made the call.

I can already tell you what they would say.

They felt the head contact was to forceful and deserved a penalty. Due to the fighter not being able to continue they were unable to give a warning or penalty point and had no other choice but to disqualify.

Dominic82555

White Belt
Reaction score
It's this exact type of thing that will kill karate being accepted as a legit sport with rules like that.

Can you imagine this same situation in boxing? Getting ko'd and then winning because of it.

Why not. I got kick out of a kung fu school because "I focused too much on kung fu application and sparring" Sound about right for today's world lol.

I like the statement "In olympic karate... the participants are not supposed to follow through with the strikes." That makes complete sense to me.
IMO the man got straight up robbed. Both advanced at the time, same as Paquiao and Marquez and you see the end result of "a collision". Funny, how do you respond to what was your winning technique that won you the Olympic Gold Medal 2020 and then someone posts a photo of how you won smh TDK is another event that needs to go (what are we playing patty cake?). Boxing is about the only one that somewhat has it right. One style that would never be in the Olympics - Kyokushin Karate :)

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
If an Olympic fencer accidentally impaled their opponent through the heart, he'd definitely be disqualified, but nobody would argue he lost the swordfight...

21st century problems.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If an Olympic fencer accidentally impaled their opponent through the heart, he'd definitely be disqualified, but nobody would argue he lost the swordfight...

21st century problems.
I'm not so sure about that. The last fencing death didn't was a result of a blade breaking and going into the eye socket of his opponent. There's no record of that resulting in a disqualification but there is a mention that the match was call off. My guess at the point of seeing someone get stabbed, winning doesn't become important anymore. Most people who compete in combat sports aren't enemies. Many are friends even though promoters try to stir the pot and cause hostile feelings.

In that sport people pretty much drop everything once they realize what has happened. You can see in this video that they aren't quite sure what happened until the person tries to pull the blade out. In Fencing this calling the match seems appropriate to the emergency on hand. It's a little easier to tell when things have gone horribly wrong.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One style that would never be in the Olympics - Kyokushin Karate :)
Although, there was some talk of having Kyokushin participate in this Olympics, I am glad it wasn't. Whatever would have been included, would not have resembled Kyokushin or Knockdown.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. The last fencing death didn't was a result of a blade breaking and going into the eye socket of his opponent. There's no record of that resulting in a disqualification but there is a mention that the match was call off. My guess at the point of seeing someone get stabbed, winning doesn't become important anymore. Most people who compete in combat sports aren't enemies. Many are friends even though promoters try to stir the pot and cause hostile feelings.

In that sport people pretty much drop everything once they realize what has happened. You can see in this video that they aren't quite sure what happened until the person tries to pull the blade out. In Fencing this calling the match seems appropriate to the emergency on hand. It's a little easier to tell when things have gone horribly wrong.

Was the poor guy okay?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

That video makes me cringe. I did just a little fencing in college, as a physical-Ed elective. In that time I managed to break a couple blades. They always have a nice, jagged point when that happens, and it’s always in the middle of a clash of bodies with a good deal of forward momentum. Scary, you need to be paying attention to stop before someone gets run through.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Was the poor guy okay?
I hope so. I look at how close they get sometimes after stabbing each other and the sword looks like it's about to turn into a circle. It almost reminds me of how some people who do light sparring would ignore the kicks and punches that otherwise would have been damaging. I think a lot of that is what is happening with fencing where they are fencing based on the perception of wearing sparing equipment instead of keeping the mindset that they need to spar as if they weren't wearing sparring equipment.

This wouldn't be an acceptable outcome if both didn't have safety equipment. We can't get rid of the safety equipment so maybe the mindset needs to be changed? Train and complete as if neither are wearing equipment. Mentally be rooted in the reality and dangers of sword fighting while taking comfort that you won't die for screwing up. But sometimes it looks as if they are using their safety equipment as armor for battle instead of safety equipment.
1628878873207.png

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm voting for Kung Fu to be in the olympics lol. Chi balls and all.

Some kung fu skills that aren't related to fighting are impressive enough that they would make great Olympic sports, and many would be better than things like curling.

1629072079888.png

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I hope so. I look at how close they get sometimes after stabbing each other and the sword looks like it's about to turn into a circle. It almost reminds me of how some people who do light sparring would ignore the kicks and punches that otherwise would have been damaging. I think a lot of that is what is happening with fencing where they are fencing based on the perception of wearing sparing equipment instead of keeping the mindset that they need to spar as if they weren't wearing sparring equipment.

This wouldn't be an acceptable outcome if both didn't have safety equipment. We can't get rid of the safety equipment so maybe the mindset needs to be changed? Train and complete as if neither are wearing equipment. Mentally be rooted in the reality and dangers of sword fighting while taking comfort that you won't die for screwing up. But sometimes it looks as if they are using their safety equipment as armor for battle instead of safety equipment.
View attachment 27116

I don't think I get what you're saying. Are you saying that the snapshot wouldn't have happened if they hadn't been wearing safety equipment?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think I get what you're saying. Are you saying that the snapshot wouldn't have happened if they hadn't been wearing safety equipment?
I'm saying that one should train and compete as if the safety equipment that you wear doesn't exists. Don't treat the safety equipment as armor, that serves the purpose of dulling the blow so that one can wade into an attack. The same logic that one spars or fights with safety equipment on should be the same logic that fight when there is no safety equipment.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm saying that one should train and compete as if the safety equipment that you wear doesn't exists. Don't treat the safety equipment as armor, that serves the purpose of dulling the blow so that one can wade into an attack. The same logic that one spars or fights with safety equipment on should be the same logic that fight when there is no safety equipment.
I guess you would have to be a competitor to get it. You figure out every way possible to add advantage to your efforts.
I agree it does not 'look' good at times but the rules are the rules. A competitor has to understand them to the fullest.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love curling, always have. Couldn’t for the life of me tell you why, though. 🤗
I do not understand it very well and can't say I watch it a lot. But it is competitive and there certainly is a good amount of skill and practice required so I definitely call it a sport.