Older Martial Artists

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have a lot of folks on this forum who are getting up there in years. Personally, my training has suffered as my body has broken down. My elbows and shoulders are gimpy and overall, I just don't recover as well as I did even 10 years ago.

For those who still train regularly, how has your training regime changed? Do you do things now you didn't when you were younger?

And for those who, through some miracle of eternal youth, continue to compete, how has that changed for you over the years?
I have been teaching and practicing American Kenpo, with a dash of Aikido, for 52 years. I am 78, but people think I'm in my 50's, because I move so well, because of Kenpo techs. As for Kenpo, nothing as changed over the years, except my better understanding of the moves. In old age, I have a better understanding of what is 100% valid and what is not. In Kenpo we have long techs. Now I realize I can short the techs and still have a very viable defense art. Kenpo keeps the body limber, if you practice two or more times a week and never stop!
Sifu
Puyallup, WA

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have been teaching and practicing American Kenpo, with a dash of Aikido, for 52 years. I am 78, but people think I'm in my 50's, because I move so well, because of Kenpo techs. As for Kenpo, nothing as changed over the years, except my better understanding of the moves. In old age, I have a better understanding of what is 100% valid and what is not. In Kenpo we have long techs. Now I realize I can short the techs and still have a very viable defense art. Kenpo keeps the body limber, if you practice two or more times a week and never stop!
Sifu
Puyallup, WA
look at the grounder of Wado Ryu (circa 1965, in his 70s) he actually wanted to have a system that was economical. No wasted energy.

Reaction score
At 49 I feel like I should have been dead a few years ago from working superman jobs. The training is basically to keep my joints from seising up and the toe touches release every joint in my back now. I do tai chi wing chun pa kua hsing I Dien zue and boat boxing. None of which I would call a competent level. And actually fighting haha those days are long gone. I'll leave it to the kids. I just want to stay in shape so I can work cause I want to do some offshore fishing and it's pretty laborious.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We have a lot of folks on this forum who are getting up there in years. Personally, my training has suffered as my body has broken down. My elbows and shoulders are gimpy and overall, I just don't recover as well as I did even 10 years ago.

For those who still train regularly, how has your training regime changed? Do you do things now you didn't when you were younger?

And for those who, through some miracle of eternal youth, continue to compete, how has that changed for you over the years?
I am 74 with a lifetime of teaching MA in Japan on a professional basis. Still doing international and national seminars. If it was not for Covid I would be out there now. Weird situation but my knees have shot it to the extent I cant do the sitting etiquette. Apart from that I am fine standing. I will be glad when this thing passes on and I can get back to things. I have national squad members to teach. In all things as I have said many times. its not how fast you move but "when" you move with ability to read others. A lot of the time you know what they will do before they do! I have to put down my health to many years of training/teaching daily.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At 49 I do ... hsing I ...
I like to do Xing Yi more and more. The amount of energy that I spend on a long fist form, I can do 10 XingYi forms and still don't feel tired. I used to do 1,000 Pi Quan non-stop on the beach (about 45 minutes).

There is a good reason that some people call Xing Yi, the lazy person's MA (not much kick in Xing Yi).

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
In general, I notice that I have to spend more time on stretching.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I find it's easy to over do and hurt myself. Just in the last few days, I really got into footwork for Kali FMA, I practice the drill, last night, my hip started to hurt. I have no hip problem, just the footwork practice hurt my hip and I had to stop last night. It's not even a very hard workout, I am sure if I am just in my late 50s, I won't have problem.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I find it's easy to over do and hurt myself. Just in the last few days, I really got into footwork for Kali FMA, I practice the drill, last night, my hip started to hurt. I have no hip problem, just the footwork practice hurt my hip and I had to stop last night. It's not even a very hard workout, I am sure if I am just in my late 50s, I won't have problem.
Alan..sometimes a rest is a breath of fresh air... sounds like you are doing too much.
your shoulder, hips... take a break from it and go cycling for a few weeks let the nagging injuries go away. I remember when i was overhead pressing fairly heavy weights i got bursitis in my shoulder. rest no way ! i carried on until i had problems brushing my teeth.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Alan..sometimes a rest is a breath of fresh air... sounds like you are doing too much.
your shoulder, hips... take a break from it and go cycling for a few weeks let the nagging injuries go away. I remember when i was overhead pressing fairly heavy weights i got bursitis in my shoulder. rest no way ! i carried on until i had problems brushing my teeth.
That's why I am so active today here!!! Decide not to do anything today!!!

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

No jumps in kata. Make me jump and I'll get real mad.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No jumps in kata. Make me jump and I'll get real mad.
I hear you. One of my favorites is the jump and downward crossing strike/block in Pinan 5. I used to do it with flair and as high as I could, making the stomp at the end as hard as possible.
Those days are long gone.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Never mind about jumping, just doing this is not easy already.

It is aerobics by itself dancing around like this.

I have to instead practice more like this which is a lot milder:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never mind about jumping, just doing this is not easy already.

It is aerobics by itself dancing around like this.
[/MEDIA]
This is similar to how I train my footwork, all over the floor, mixing up about a dozen styles. But it takes a lot of energy to get to that stage, and you won't have that kind of energy unless you work on your cardio a lot. At first you'll gas out fast, but once you're able to hop around like this for 20, 30, 40 minutes, you'll find it's easy to dance through each day using whatever footwork suits you. If you're big and slow to start, it's going to be a challenge.

The four square stepping in the second video is a great way for people with older bones to keep their footwork limber. It's basically also a dance routine with progressive speed.

Gotta move it to keep using it.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is similar to how I train my footwork, all over the floor, mixing up about a dozen styles. But it takes a lot of energy to get to that stage, and you won't have that kind of energy unless you work on your cardio a lot. At first you'll gas out fast, but once you're able to hop around like this for 20, 30, 40 minutes, you'll find it's easy to dance through each day using whatever footwork suits you. If you're big and slow to start, it's going to be a challenge.

The four square stepping in the second video is a great way for people with older bones to keep their footwork limber. It's basically also a dance routine with progressive speed.

Gotta move it to keep using it.
Ha ha, you are funny!!! I am 68 going to be 69( funny, I kept thinking I was 67!!)

I'll stay with the second video. And yes, keep moving is the best way to cure all the aches and pain. My knees and foot got better since I up my exercise on footwork. there is no free lunch.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ha ha, talk about old age, I just had a Cortizone shot in the left ring finger because of the trigger finger problem. Doctor said I cannot do any weight or exercise for 3 to 5 days. Well, I have to take time off, that's the doctor's order!!!:D😂. I don't have to feel guilty and making excuses!!!

Latest Discussions