Oki Ryu Kempo?

• Thread starter cerasodamaniaco1
  • Start date
C

cerasodamaniaco1

Hi Everyone!
most respectfull cheers to all of you who take part in this forum, I myself am not a martial artist but my son is... and he's instructor gave him some extra work... I have tried every where and I cannot find anything about this martial art "OKI RYU KEMPO"
and he needs to answer this 2 questions:

1. Who created or founded OKI RYU KEMPO?
2. In which country was OKI RYU KEMPO Originated

If someone here could lend me a helping hand and give me this info it would be greatly apreciated.

Cheers

VQ

Rhode Island.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by cerasodamaniaco1

Hi Everyone!
most respectfull cheers to all of you who take part in this forum, I myself am not a martial artist but my son is... and he's instructor gave him some extra work... I have tried every where and I cannot find anything about this martial art "OKI RYU KEMPO"
and he needs to answer this 2 questions:

1. Who created or founded OKI RYU KEMPO?
2. In which country was OKI RYU KEMPO Originated

If someone here could lend me a helping hand and give me this info it would be greatly apreciated.

Cheers

VQ

Rhode Island.

To my knowledge it is not among the major lineages of martial ats. However in this day and age post Bruce Lee where everybody has their "own style" anything is possible from some obscure corner of the martial arts universe. This in no way is a comment on the validity of the art in question.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Could it possibly be Okinawan Kempo/Kenpo. I have never heard of Oki Ryu Kempo before.

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oki Ryu Kempo was created by Mr. Don Rodriguez. He is the husband of the famous (tournament circuits) Christine Bannon-Rodriguez.
I believe it is a combination of Okinawan Karate with a touch of Nick Cerio Kenpo.
I have seen Mr. Rodriguez's name on some lineage trees under the late Professor Nick Cerio's.

That is all I know.

:asian:

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Here is an article on them:

Link: http://members.aol.com/keefe100/keefeweb/history.html

SHAOLIN AND KENPO

In 525 A.D., an Indian monk named Bodhidharma traveled to China. He came to the Shaolin Temple in the Song Mountains of Henan Province to spread Buddhism. Bodhidharma was the creator of two revolutionary cultural achievements; he established Zen Buddhism and created a system of exercises called the "Shih Pa Lo Han Sho": "The eighteen hands of Lohan" is considered to be the basis of almost all the martial arts that are studied today. The movements were developed to strengthen the monks who were weak from meditating most of the day. The Shaolin monks used this foundation to develop the movements found in Oki-Ryu Kempo.

One of these monks traveled to Japan and taught the Shaolin ways to a Shinto priest named Kosho. This ancient master was to become the source of one of the two paths by which Kempo eventually came to the United States. Late in his life, Kosho changed his name to Mitose and started a martial arts school in Japan. For the next seven hundred years, Kempo was passed from generation to generation within the Mitose family.

In 1923 the twenty first descendant of the Kosho/Mitose family was born in Kona, Hawaii. His name was James M. Mitose. Mitose's grandfather remained in Japan at the Shaka-In Temple, and it was here that James was sent as a four-year-old. He spent fifteen years of his life studying with his grandfather at the Temple, mastering the mental and physical aspects of Kempo. He learned the Tao Philosophy of Balance and Harmony. He also learned the importance in martial arts of proper nutrition and the benefits of yoga, plus the movements of Katas and defense maneuvers. James Mitose returned to Oahu, Hawaii in the late 1930s and established a school called the Official Self-Defense Club, at the Beretania mission in Honolulu.

Before retiring in 1953, James M. Mitose taught William Chow, who had studied Shaolin Kung-Fu for ten years under Master Chow (his father). William Chow was one of only six students elevated to black belt by James Mitose. It was William Chow who taught Professor Nick Cerio, a tenth degree black belt. Master Cerio is regarded as one of the foremost authorities on Kempo, and has received many awards. He was inducted into the Karate Hall of Fame in 1983, and in the same year he received Inside Kung-Fu's reader award. Nick Cerio is ranked 5th Degree Black Belt by Professor William Chow, awarded Sifu by Master Gan Fong Chin, 8th Degree Black Belt by Master Gan Fong Chin, 9th Degree Black Belt by Master Ed Parker, 10th Degree Black Belt (1989) in Kenpo by the World Council of Sokes, and his Professorship in Kenpo by Professor Thomas Burdine. He has spent more than 35 years studying martial arts. One of Professor Cerio's students is John Keefe, a fourth degree black belt, who is founder of Shaolin Martial Arts Academy, which was established in 1989.

10th Degree Black Belt (1989) in Kenpo by the World Council of Sokes,

This one claim says it all.
Anyone that believes that belonging to that group is some sort of honor and that organization is anything other than a "dan/rank factory" is living in LaLa Land.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Rob_Broad

Could it possibly be Okinawan Kempo/Kenpo. I have never heard of Oki Ryu Kempo before.

Not by a long shot............it would seem to be some sort of American thing.

OP
C

cerasodamaniaco1

Hello Every one !

I want to thank all of you for your info especially Peter Teymouraz, its been of great help to me and my son, It appears that we have found what we where looking for, Don Rodriguez school is the parent school to where my son assists, but if you still have more comments or facts please post them.

Arigato!

VQ

Rhode Island

John James

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Oki-Ryu Kenpo as it is referred to on the East Coast was founded by Shihan Don Rodrigues. His website is http://www.donrodrigueskarateacademy.com. The system was sanctioned by Professor Cerio. As to the post who referred to the World Council of Sokes (who gave Prof. Cerio his 'above ranking' award) as a dan/rank factory, I can only say that you obviously don't know what you are talking about. In 1989, Professor Cerio tested for his title. That's right. It wasn't GIVEN to him and he didn't pay for it. It was bestowed upon him. The World Council has since changed their name twice and is now the World Head Founders/Head Families Council. I do not know what their standards are now or who is on the board now but in 1989 it was VERY hard to get a title/rank from them. You might have them confused with the other Hall of Fames/Societies that make you pay for your award. But this was not the case here. It would be appreciated if you would refrain from such remarks since Professor Cerio is not here to defend himself. An honorable man would abide by this and would also give his name when making such remarks instead of hiding in anonymity.

Thank you.
John James,
Nick Cerio's Kenpo.

Latest Discussions