Getting spouses "into" Kenpo

K

kenpochip

Has anyone had any success getting a previously not-very-interested-in-kenpo spouse to become interested in it? Stories would be appreciated.

KenpoChip

OP
W

Wertle

I have no stories from experience, but some from observation. I've known two people in class who have tried their absolute hardest to get their families involved in Kempo, including forcing their children into coming, and trying everything they could, including "you can't do this unless you come to class this often". I'm not really sure how he got his wife to come, though I'm sure the methods weren't the same as with the children ^_^. Their heart was in the right place, but it was painfully obvious that the children just did not want to be there, and the spouse had a similar mindset, but participated well out of courtesy of not disrupting the class.

It was very funny, because the first person who did this is now moving up in the ranks of blackbelt, and is helping teach as a new student came and did the *exact* same thing. Through watching this new student, he began to realize what he had been doing to his own family all along! He even mentioned "I wasn't *that* bad was I?" As many of us grinned and nodded.

I guess this just means don't drag your spouse along against their will, because if they don't want to be there, they won't get much out of it. Maybe try a sneakier approach? Try and find a particular element in which they might be interested, something they weren't aware of before. What sort of things does the spouse-in-question enjoy? Interests?

OP
P

pineapple head

It took me a while to get my 7 year old son to come along to class , when he eventually did he liked it so much i now take 3 of his pals also.
As far as wife is concerned , NO WAY ....i enjoy my 2 hours break from her , dragging her along to class just does not interest me.
I think i speak for most married men!

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by jbkenpo

you don't

Ditto .. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE it if my wife joined up, but I don't
force her. What comes around goes around, I might end up in
a knitting class. :rofl: I do worry about her being attacked at
night and what not .. but would forcing her to go help her learn
anything? I doubt it.

OP
P

pineapple head

mmmmm..on second thoughts!
If my beloved came and enjoyed it maybe i would get to train more.
AHA...cracked it! Oh dear what are you doing tonite?haha
Im not as dumb as i look.

OP
L

lifewise

Originally posted by kenpochip

Has anyone had any success getting a previously not-very-interested-in-kenpo spouse to become interested in it? Stories would be appreciated.

KenpoChip

My husband started kenpo sometime after I did. We were never able to attend classes together because one of us had to be home with the kids, but we did practice together. He has since stopped training and only acts as my uki.

Do I wish he would train with me ... I sure do,:( especially now because we could go to classes together ... but I understand his reasons for stopping. I also see a smile on his face when he goes to work on his dunebuggy that just wasn't there when he went to the dojo.

OP
J

jeffkyle

But i did try to get some friends into Kenpo with me when i started. One of them took their intro at the same time i did, but the other one took his a little bit later. Neither of them continued on after that probably for a couple of reasons. Either they didn't have the money, or they didn't have the interest. They grew up fighting around their neighborhood, so i guess they felt they didn't need to improve their skills, LOL.
But since that I never tried to "force" or "coerce" anyone into training. I simply show my passion for it, and give them the invite and opportunity anyway I can. I leave it up to them though.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by jeffkyle

But i did try to get some friends into Kenpo with me when i started. One of them took their intro at the same time i did, but the other one took his a little bit later. Neither of them continued on after that probably for a couple of reasons. Either they didn't have the money, or they didn't have the interest. They grew up fighting around their neighborhood, so i guess they felt they didn't need to improve their skills, LOL.
But since that I never tried to "force" or "coerce" anyone into training. I simply show my passion for it, and give them the invite and opportunity anyway I can. I leave it up to them though.

That's how I've approached it with my friends as well. I haven't
had much success at it, other than a LOT of curiosity about it,
and them going "that's cool" after I've told them what I've
learned. I do often say "you should come check it out, my
instructor offers anyone a free week" ... only 1 has. He wants
to join as soon as he's gainfully employed again. We'll see how
it goes after that.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Kirk

That's how I've approached it with my friends as well. I haven't
had much success at it, other than a LOT of curiosity about it,
and them going "that's cool" after I've told them what I've
learned. I do often say "you should come check it out, my
instructor offers anyone a free week" ... only 1 has. He wants
to join as soon as he's gainfully employed again. We'll see how
it goes after that.

That is usually what i get, a lot of Wow, and that is neat, and i would like to do something like that. But no one ever shows up.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by jeffkyle

That is usually what i get, a lot of Wow, and that is neat, and i would like to do something like that. But no one ever shows up.

YEP! Same here! The one friend though, I know will show up.
Whether or not he'll stay for any period of time, I dunno. I've
only been at my school for about a year, and I've seen probably
75 people come and go ("free weekers" included here). I do
know that he comes over and wants to work flow drills with me,
and dummy for me on techs, and what not. So if/when he starts,
we'll be able to work out a LOT together! I just want ONE friend
to join!

OP
M

MinnieMin

You never know if your spouse like it or not, trust me. Like once I said, when my husband asked me if I like to go with him to check a karate class, I suprised him with a "sure", and I wan't just went with him but signed with him too; that is the Kenpo we are both in now. Believe it or not, before I walked in the class, I have no idea about Kenpo or any Karate stuff.
The funny thing I want you guys know is, (sh...) it took me seconds but took him 6 months to get there--enjoy Kenpo. Here is little more, I am one rank ahead of him :rofl:
Now, we are in Kenpo for seven months, but sometime he still say," I just can't belive you will like Karate kind of thing." :hammer:

Oh gosh, I hope he never read this. :wink:

Min :asian:
please forgive me for my Chin-glish

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by MinnieMin

You never know if your spouse like it or not, trust me. Like once I said, when my husband asked me if I like to go with him to check a karate class, I suprised him with a "sure", and I wan't just went with him but signed with him too; that is the Kenpo we are both in now. Believe it or not, before I walked in the class, I have no idea about Kenpo or any Karate stuff.
The funny thing I want you guys know is, (sh...) it took me seconds but took him 6 months to get there--enjoy Kenpo. Here is little more, I am one rank ahead of him :rofl:
Now, we are in Kenpo for seven months, but sometime he still say," I just can't belive you will like Karate kind of thing." :hammer:

Oh gosh, I hope he never read this. :wink:

please forgive me for my Chin-glish

AWESOME!!!!!!!! Who are you studying with in Austin? With me,
it's not for lack of asking my wife. She's just not interested :(

Betcha I'll be meeting you and your hubby one day, at a seminar:)

OP
M

MinnieMin

AWESOME!!!!!!!! Who are you studying with in Austin? With me,
it's not for lack of asking my wife. She's just not interested :(

Betcha I'll be meeting you and your hubby one day, at a seminar:)

I am Mr. Billings' student.
I think I saw you in Ed Parker Jr.' seminar June 29th. I was the only Chinese woman there that day. :0

Kirk, we are going to attend Professor John Sepulveda's seminar in Austin this Saturday. Are you come?

OP
T

tonbo

I have never tried to get my wife into Kenpo. It just ain't her thing.

She *has* taken our youngest son to his class, and has learned enough of the techniques that she could be an orange or purple belt, if she really wanted to be. She does the techniques pretty darn well, but the "heart" just isn't there.

My wife is more into Tai Chi, and tends to do Kenpo with a Tai Chi "flavor". She is more interested in energy transfer, pressure points, meridians and that kind of thing......Kenpo is not the way she works.

I love her to death, and our both being involved in the martial arts has been a wonderful thing. I like the interplay of having a different perspective from her on martial things, and overall, the conversations get pretty darn interesting....;)

I would NEVER "force" or coerce my wife to try Kenpo. I like my body parts where they are, and in their present working condition....;)

Peace--

OP
K

Kirk

Mr Billings taught me a tech at that seminar, DAMNED good
teacher! Sorry I don't remember seeing you there, but I guess
there will be more chances in the future.

I wont' be able to come to Mr Sepulveda's seminar, and it's
driving me NUTS! The finances just aren't there for it right now
*cry*. Can't wait to hear about it though!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I don't think you can ever make someone do something they don't want to. My wife doesn't want anything to do with the martial arts period. She doesn't understand the passion I have for practicing kenpo or any of the friends I have when we just get together & practice. She looks at it like most people somewhat of a dance routine. Most of all I think that for the most part people don't usually keep on studying in kenpo just because there's a lot of work involved with sooo much info. What I mean by that is we have a lot more knowledge in the whole system most people just don't want to put forth the effort to learn or practice. If you look at our style vs. TKD you'll see someone achieve BB in 3-4yrs. in kenpo it'll take much longer. Just a couple of thoughts here.
Jason Farnsworth

OP
M

MinnieMin

Mr Billings taught me a tech at that seminar, DAMNED good
teacher! Sorry I don't remember seeing you there, but I guess
there will be more chances in the future.

I wont' be able to come to Mr Sepulveda's seminar, and it's
driving me NUTS! The finances just aren't there for it right now
*cry*. Can't wait to hear about it though!

You are DAMNED right that Mr Billings is a DAMNED good teacher!!! We are lucky learning from him.
Sorry, you can't make it this time :( ...wait, I have a thought, if it really drives you a NUTS, make a phone call to check if you still can sign in. If you can, I will pay for you first and you can pay me later if you want. I mean that!!!

Min

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by MinnieMin

You are DAMNED right that Mr Billings is a DAMNED good teacher!!! We are lucky learning from him.
Sorry, you can't make it this time :( ...wait, I have a thought, if it really drives you a NUTS, make a phone call to check if you still can sign in. If you can, I will pay for you first and you can pay me later if you want. I mean that!!!

Min

Min, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the offer. I'm really touched that
you would extend an offer to a stranger like that, and it says
a lot about your character. Regretably, I don't like to borrow
money from people. :(

I'm more anxious to meet you, so I can shake your hand.
Thanks a bunch, that was VERY nice of you to offer.

OP
M

MinnieMin

Min, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the offer. I'm really touched that
you would extend an offer to a stranger like that, and it says
a lot about your character. Regretably, I don't like to borrow
money from people. :(

I'm more anxious to meet you, so I can shake your hand.
Thanks a bunch, that was VERY nice of you to offer.

You are welcome. Even thought we are a stranger to each other, we do love the one same thing -- Kenpo Karate. I understand how you feel.
Hope to see ya in next seminar.

Latest Discussions