OK. Any sort of evidence that chi works. Or not or whatever.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The big stumbling block is that some people are literally using "chi" to mean "a combination of skill, focus, and intuition, also explainable through rational means, but easily summarized by a one syllable word," while some people use the same word to actually refer to some sort of supernatural, undetectable energy. Until someone gives us a clear definition, it's a pretty useless discussion...
And that wraps up the entire discussion chi. lol. I wouldn't be surprised if people see the definition of Chi differently. There is already talk about spoon bending so I'm sure the magic fighting will come in soon.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If Chi works then should we already see it's used in Sumo ring?

Sumo_1.jpg

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Lee say it again. Chi means Power.

OK. So, what does "power" mean? Hitting hard? Control of a fight? Electrical Power? Political Power? Military Power? Or maybe magical Power?

The term power may have even more definitions and connotations than "Qi/Chi/Ki." legs

If it's in terms of "power" as in "force," as in an application of energy in a physical sense, than what is Chi aside from an effective use of your legs, hips, core and limbs? In that case, it sounds like "Chi" just means "sound application of body mechanics."

Basically, "Chi" is either just an translation of one of a variety of basic English terms such as "sports physiology" or "bio-mechanics" or "mental focus" or "you've done a good job of training specific actions into your neurology", or it's something supernatural which has never been documented, demonstrated, or even reliably witnessed, and which is largely simulated through a combination of self-deception, wishful thinking, and outright charlatanry.

If we're going to say that "Chi" is "Power" in the sense of applied biomechanics that is too complex to really do justice to in casual conversation then sure, we can all discuss "Chi," although I think I and others might still use other more specific terms.

If we're going to say that "Chi" is "Power" in terms of focus, control, and awareness of the situation, then again, sure, we can all discuss examples of that, although again I think some of us may use other better defined terms.

If we're going to say that "Chi" is "Power" in the sense of, well, most people's understanding of the term chi, then saying that "Chi is Power" is at best vague. I think most English translations of the word are probably more like "vital essence," "Life force," or "spiritual energy."

Let's glance at the Wikipedia article on Chi, the term "power" shows up exactly five times:
1. As part of the word "willpower" referencing ways to control Chi.
2. Once as part of the term "feats of power," regarding things like spears to the throat, etc, which are noted as also being explainable through basic biomechanics.
3. In the title of a cited reference, The Chi Revolution: Harnessing the Healing Power of Your Life Force.
4. Once as part of the term "Qigong Empowerment," again in the title of a cited reference.
5. Finally, as the name of an author, John Powers.

The concepts listed as being similar to Chi include prana, pnuema, mana, lüng, ruah, and The Force, all of which are spiritual or fantastical, most of which are religious, none of which are particularly synonymous with "power."

So, I would say that the consensus is perhaps not entirely solid that "power" is the best, or even a particularly viable translation of the concept of "Chi."

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And that wraps up the entire discussion chi. lol. I wouldn't be surprised if people see the definition of Chi differently. There is already talk about spoon bending so I'm sure the magic fighting will come in soon.

Much like most religious and spiritual discussions.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Think of Chi as a German trying to become an Ubermein. It is real if you work at it, You are improving or you are not. But these exercises get you somewhere. Right? :)
Übermein is not a word. Explain please?
It means, Sunshine super man.
No, uber = over. mein= mine. I think you mean Übermensch.
Superman.

The word is Übermensch. The word carries some pretty heavy Nazi master race connotations, and it is not something that Germans aspire to, but rather a word associated with a past that they are collectively ashamed of. Probably not a great example unless you meant Nazis, or you mean that Germans are Nazis.

On topic, James Randi has offered his challenge for decades, and nobody has ever provided proof of chi, even for massive financial rewards, so I would not expect it to turn up in this thread.

Maybe chi 'universal energy' is what we see every day: gravity, heat, light, kinetic energy, potential energy, sound, electricity. Maybe we are looking for proof of something that has already been proven. I can live with chi as an expression of a combination physical factors in synergy. I do not believe it is a special extra type of magical energy that can not be detected. There is no magic anywhere else in the universe, why would there be here?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The word is Übermensch. The word carries some pretty heavy Nazi master race connotations, and it is not something that Germans aspire to, but rather a word associated with a past that they are collectively ashamed of. Probably not a great example unless you meant Nazis, or you mean that Germans are Nazis.

On topic, James Randi has offered his challenge for decades, and nobody has ever provided proof of chi, even for massive financial rewards, so I would not expect it to turn up in this thread.

Maybe chi 'universal energy' is what we see every day: gravity, heat, light, kinetic energy, potential energy, sound, electricity. Maybe we are looking for proof of something that has already been proven. I can live with chi as an expression of a combination physical factors in synergy. I do not believe it is a special extra type of magical energy that can not be detected. There is no magic anywhere else in the universe, why would there be here?
While Nazis loved this stuff, no I don't mean Nazis, and yes Germans should aspire to it. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK. So, what does "power" mean? Hitting hard? Control of a fight? Electrical Power? Political Power? Military Power? Or maybe magical Power?

The term power may have even more definitions and connotations than "Qi/Chi/Ki." legs

If it's in terms of "power" as in "force," as in an application of energy in a physical sense, than what is Chi aside from an effective use of your legs, hips, core and limbs? In that case, it sounds like "Chi" just means "sound application of body mechanics."

Basically, "Chi" is either just an translation of one of a variety of basic English terms such as "sports physiology" or "bio-mechanics" or "mental focus" or "you've done a good job of training specific actions into your neurology", or it's something supernatural which has never been documented, demonstrated, or even reliably witnessed, and which is largely simulated through a combination of self-deception, wishful thinking, and outright charlatanry.

If we're going to say that "Chi" is "Power" in the sense of applied biomechanics that is too complex to really do justice to in casual conversation then sure, we can all discuss "Chi," although I think I and others might still use other more specific terms.

If we're going to say that "Chi" is "Power" in terms of focus, control, and awareness of the situation, then again, sure, we can all discuss examples of that, although again I think some of us may use other better defined terms.

If we're going to say that "Chi" is "Power" in the sense of, well, most people's understanding of the term chi, then saying that "Chi is Power" is at best vague. I think most English translations of the word are probably more like "vital essence," "Life force," or "spiritual energy."

Let's glance at the Wikipedia article on Chi, the term "power" shows up exactly five times:
1. As part of the word "willpower" referencing ways to control Chi.
2. Once as part of the term "feats of power," regarding things like spears to the throat, etc, which are noted as also being explainable through basic biomechanics.
3. In the title of a cited reference, The Chi Revolution: Harnessing the Healing Power of Your Life Force.
4. Once as part of the term "Qigong Empowerment," again in the title of a cited reference.
5. Finally, as the name of an author, John Powers.

The concepts listed as being similar to Chi include prana, pnuema, mana, lüng, ruah, and The Force, all of which are spiritual or fantastical, most of which are religious, none of which are particularly synonymous with "power."

So, I would say that the consensus is perhaps not entirely solid that "power" is the best, or even a particularly viable translation of the concept of "Chi."
I studied a little bit on Prana, and that is what we get when we breath, and if that ain't power, nothing is, Secondly, you are right, Power is such a vague term it only touches on the spiritual connotations of Chi, but again, we are talking spiritual power. Life Force, sounds like power, to me. I could go on. :)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While Nazis loved this stuff, no I don't mean Nazis, and yes Germans should aspire to it. :)
Well the word has been corrupted I'm afraid, so no, they really shouldn't. The problem is the aspiration to Übermensch implies the existence of the Untermensch, the 'subhuman', which is dangerous for obvious reasons. It really isn't an appropriate example.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the word has been corrupted I'm afraid, so no, they really shouldn't. The problem is the aspiration to Übermensch implies the existence of the Untermensch, the 'subhuman', which is dangerous for obvious reasons. It really isn't an appropriate example.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
That is your opinion. The idea is that we are all sub-human until we get with it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every religion, including Christianity, preaches that true spiritual power happens when you eliminate your desire for non-spiritual things. So, even just walking around, trying to be a good person is empowering, right?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is your opinion. The idea is that we are all sub-human until we get with it.

Actually it's not his 'opinion' it's well known that the Nazi's used this as their 'ideal' and to now think that it is an ideal well, that's sick.

Hitler's Supermen: The Ubermensch, Eugenics, and Perfecting the Master Race.

Untermensch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every religion doesn't think that true spiritual power comes from eliminating non spiritual things, Judaism doesn't work that way at all, we don't do 'spiritual' in the way it's meant here. Judaism is about how you behave to others, spiritualism doesn't really come into it at all.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

That the use of the example is inappropriate is my opinion (an opinion which the vast majority of the German and Jewish populations are very likely to share). That the word Übermensch has very negative connotations (as does sub-human) is fact.

You might want to express your ideas in a different way e.g. In terms of enlightenment, as that seems to be what you actually mean.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chi is real. It's just our overblown definitions and expectations that are messed up. To my way of looking at it, all real chi can be explained through science and biomechanics. I think chi is just the best they could do to explain it back in china. Heck we thought the world was flat and the sun revolved around the earth. Every example of chi I have ever seen that had real life effects I can explain. But then there is the hocus pocus magic touch and bending spoons garbage. Uri Gellar bent spoons with his "chi" he was later proved to be a fake.

Actually that people thought the world was flat is a myth.
Did Medieval People Believe in a Flat Earth?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually it's not his 'opinion' it's well known that the Nazi's used this as their 'ideal' and to now think that it is an ideal well, that's sick.

Hitler's Supermen: The Ubermensch, Eugenics, and Perfecting the Master Race.

Untermensch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every religion doesn't think that true spiritual power comes from eliminating non spiritual things, Judaism doesn't work that way at all, we don't do 'spiritual' in the way it's meant here. Judaism is about how you behave to others, spiritualism doesn't really come into it at all.
So... what that Ten Commandment thing all about then? :) You are stretching, now. Go ahead and tell us how Judaism isn't about eliminating sin. This should be fun. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... what that Ten Commandment thing all about then? :) You are stretching, now. Go ahead and tell us how Judaism isn't about eliminating sin. This should be fun. :)

I don't find it 'fun' and if you are just going to belittle of people's beliefs there's little point in discussing anything with you. and by the way there's 631 commandments not 10. The fact you talk about 'eliminating' sin shows you know little about theology in general and certainly nothing about Judaism.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't find it 'fun' and if you are just going to belittle of people's beliefs there's little point in discussing anything with you. and by the way there's 631 commandments not 10. The fact you talk about 'eliminating' sin shows you know little about theology in general and certainly nothing about Judaism.
Sin means, to miss the mark, which implies you should stop doing that. What did I miss? ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flat earthers are still going strong.

The Flat Earth Society

That's a modern thing encompassing religious beliefs , even the early Greeks know the earth wasn't flat. the flat earth society had about 3000 members worldwide, it's doubtful there are that many now.

Latest Discussions