Ohio Bar Security Guard Shoots 2

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Link

CLEVELAND — A barroom security guard shot and killed two men early Thursday after he was attacked by a group of men who tried to drag him into a restroom, Cleveland police said.

The brawl started at about 1 a.m. at the Top Cat Pub & Grill, a bar on the city's east side. People at the scene told WJW-TV that the fight was over a $2 cover charge owed from last week.

Police said Byron Gilson, the security guard, was attacked by eight to 10 men who tried to take his firearm and drag him into a restroom. As Gilson was being dragged, he discharged his gun, hitting two of the men, said Police Sgt. Sammy Morris.
Roosevelt Guins, 33, and Alexander Burks, 25, both of Cleveland, were pronounced dead at the scene, Morris said.

After Guins and Burks were shot, the other men backed off but did not leave, police said. Gilson then fired his weapon into the ceiling and they left.
Gilson was treated for his injuries at a nearby hospital. Clarence Flowers, one of the men who police say tried to take Gilson's weapon, was arrested for aggravated robbery. It was not clear whether Flowers had an attorney.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
With no other facts than those presented in the thread, it sounds like a ligitimate use of deadly force. 8 to 10 on one man, attempting to take his weapon and drag him into a rest room? Probably a wonder there weren't more shot.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
With no other facts than those presented in the thread, it sounds like a ligitimate use of deadly force. 8 to 10 on one man, attempting to take his weapon and drag him into a rest room? Probably a wonder there weren't more shot.

Shame.....

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed, given the information presented, it sounds like he had more than enough reason to shoot. I'm glad they didn't lose retention of his firearm. Sounds like he may have waited to long to bring it into play.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
sounds like he should have fired more rounds and sooner. I am glad he survived and glad he did fire! that many attacking, I would doubt survival if they had gotten his weapon and taken him to the secondary crime seen... the bathroom.

given the facts stated, justifiable use of deadly force and a remarkable restraint in use of said deadly force.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The lead bully brings nine of his buddies into a bar to confront the security guy, drag him into the washroom and beat/kill him……all over $2.00???? It’s ****ing $2.00!!!! Idiots.

UKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
8 to 10 on 1 guy. They are lucky that the security officer didn't shoot more of them.

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The fact that these guys were willing to get violent over $2 is unbelivable. I used to work security myself, it can be a scary feeling when you're that out numbered. Good for the guard for protecting himself.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a rough bar......also sounds like a righteous shoot, all things considered.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only shot I question is the one in the ceiling.

I was taught to never use the firearm to try to frighten aggressors into any action or out of any action.

Fire to stop a threat.

Otherwise: well done.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only shot I question is the one in the ceiling.

I was taught to never use the firearm to try to frighten aggressors into any action or out of any action.

Fire to stop a threat.

Otherwise: well done.

yep as I understand it , in most states the 'warning shot' is a legal no no! ... if its not serious enough to shoot them you should not be pointing a weapon at them any way....

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
yep it worked and he was not charged for the round going some where and injuring some one he did not mean to shoot. That is always a danger when firing a 'warning shot' too.

In my state in his case he would provably had less legal risk in shooting one of the other attackers then that warning shot .

Latest Discussions