Oh, groan....

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, I know those names all actually mean something very clear and specific to those training with them (just like "lift-up" means something specific in NGA), but I have very weird images in my mind when I see something like "monkey horse stance". Martial arts terms can be fun!

Well that's what my instructor calls it. It's effectively a lower horse stance but you raise your heels up high making it even more painful and requiring better balance.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that's what my instructor calls it. It's effectively a lower horse stance but you raise your heels up high making it even more painful and requiring better balance.
You can tell your instructor I actually don't like him/her based upon that description. :p

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha alright. What would you call that particular stance then?
Painful.

Seriously, we don't have a stance like that in NGA. We have a basic horse stance (jigotai), but deep stance training is not a common practice in our art. Our base is built on mobility and flexibility, so very deep stances are problematic in all but a few situations.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Painful.

Seriously, we don't have a stance like that in NGA. We have a basic horse stance (jigotai), but deep stance training is not a common practice in our art. Our base is built on mobility and flexibility, so very deep stances are problematic in all but a few situations.

Interesting. In southern Crane, we put a lot of emphasis on a strong rooted stance. In fact if you go to Southern China a lot of the Martial Artists there have very strong legs and wiry upper bodies

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. In southern Crane, we put a lot of emphasis on a strong rooted stance. In fact if you go to Southern China a lot of the Martial Artists there have very strong legs and wiry upper bodies
We have a different approach to rooting, and depend a lot on mobility and soft resistance. I've experienced some of those rooted stances (both CMA and one guy from JMA, which style I've forgotten). They are impressive.

Latest Discussions