Oh, groan....

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tonight was the second class of the new year. I was lazy over the holidays and actually took a vacation. No training at all, just being a lazy couch tater.

It is just astounding how hard we work to get ourselves into shape and how quickly our body forgets how to be in shape. Two weeks of down time and I feel like I'm gonna die. It's like I've never exercised before!

Next holiday break, I'm only going to be a half tater. I'll make time to do some workouts so that I don't kick the new year off feeling likeI have been run over by a truck.

about-faq-search-over-10-million-images-at-clipart-com-search-over-fR6Euz-clipart.jpg

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel ya. Me too. Tonight. My knees and my feet ache. Vitamin I (Ibuprofen) and some shut-eye for this tired old karateka.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I so wish I didn't know what you guys were talking about.

Good thing we're stubborn.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was back at TaiJiJuan and Longfist/ White Crane this week, with circuit training at the start, but I was kinda ok because we had a class on the say after St Stephen's Day and the next day.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
The things I can't handle is boxing style aerobic just dancing around footwork stuff - I get so out of breath - and then even if i stay ok my teeth start to hurt from breathing in so hard through my mouth (i have very sensitive teeth :/).

Horse Stances, and even planks/trunk stabilizers I can handle pretty well, but once I start jumping or running (especially 'knees up' running) I fall apart. Weirdly though it doesn't happen as much if I say for example constantly do kicks (in which I'm bringing the knee up everytime too), maybe because I did that so much when I was younger that I'm more 'used' to that type of pain.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Being a former sports med guy, I always wondered how much of it is psychological and how much is physiological.

Getting into shape means the body grows more red blood cells to carry oxygen, and grows new capillaries to make the oxygen delivery easier, among other things. I always wondered how long it takes the body to actually break down the excess stuff due to inactivity or decreased activity.

I'm pretty sure these processes take more than a week or two. Then why do I feel like I'm so out of shape if I take a week or two off?

If I ever get another master's degree, my thesis will be this. Take athletes, test them in various areas right after the season ends, have them sit around and do nothing more than activities of daily living, and test them at various intervals. I'd also have them report how they feel when doing the testing. If the numbers are the same but they feel out of shape, it's psychological.

Skill is a different thing though. Baseball players need to hit constantly. Golfers need to swing. I wouldn't test sport skill, only physical fitness.

If anyone's pondering what to do for an exercise physiology study, I just gave you one.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
definitely in still things like a Qi Gong stance or Horse Stances psychological power/disassociation makes a huge difference, I find that I can sorta take my mind away from those sortof pains. One thing I was trying yesterday which seemed to work a bit was that during things that I didn't find TOO difficult, when I was able to 'get my breath back', I tried 'embryonic breathing' into my belly during them as much as I could to try to heal/relax somewhat, and it did seem to make a difference, then again that in itself could of course be some type of 'self placebo' :p

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes to all of the above. I actually worked out over the break because I was desperately trying not to gain any weight with all the eating and drinking going on.....sort of worked

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight was the second class of the new year. I was lazy over the holidays and actually took a vacation. No training at all, just being a lazy couch tater.

It is just astounding how hard we work to get ourselves into shape and how quickly our body forgets how to be in shape. Two weeks of down time and I feel like I'm gonna die. It's like I've never exercised before!

Next holiday break, I'm only going to be a half tater. I'll make time to do some workouts so that I don't kick the new year off feeling likeI have been run over by a truck.

about-faq-search-over-10-million-images-at-clipart-com-search-over-fR6Euz-clipart.jpg
I feel your pain, brother. I'm finally back up to nearly full capability after a long period of very limited training because of a torn muscle in my arm and a couple of compensation injuries. Every fall, I feel like a sack of flour. When I work on the heavy bag, my arms wear out too fast.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well hell. You all should try having a baby, moving to a new house, starting a home business in addition to being full-time employed in order to be able to afford said house, being faced with a likely lay-off from said employment, and taking night classes at the community college in anticipation of said lay-off. And this has been a constant situation for about three years now.

I can't get any traction with my training anymore.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel fine. My only complaint are the new shoes I got on Christmas kill my feet when I do kata or kicking drills. My low roundhouse was also a little rusty but I got back on track fairly quick.

The matt is still not 100% yet so we are all still using shoes.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I so wish I didn't know what you guys were talking about.

Good thing we're stubborn.
Tell me about it. I guess that means we are all martial artist who train hard. I could miss a couple of days from any other sport or activity and would never feel like I do after missing a couple of days of martial arts classes.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I guess that means we are all martial artist who train hard. I could miss a couple of days from any other sport or activity and would never feel like I do after missing a couple of days of martial arts classes.

Yeah I usually groan when I hear a phrase like "alright 50 burpees!" Those days I wish I stayed home.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You didn't hear? They made burpees illegal now. I keep telling the other instructor that, but he just keeps on breaking the law.

Shame! The united Nations should honestly ban burpees worldwide. They are evil.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am fairly certain they did. Unfortunately, the people in favor of burpees demanded trial by combat. Guess who won, the people who do burpees, or the people who don't...

The people who train more combat won. Burpees are not combat.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just came back from my first session of the year, in which my instructor thought we didn't practice our stances enough, so we spent most of the session going through all our stances including lower horse stance, monkey horse stance, lower crane and upper crane stances. My legs will be killing me tomorrow morning after that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just came back from my first session of the year, in which my instructor thought we didn't practice our stances enough, so we spent most of the session going through all our stances including lower horse stance, monkey horse stance, lower crane and upper crane stances. My legs will be killing me tomorrow morning after that.
You know, I know those names all actually mean something very clear and specific to those training with them (just like "lift-up" means something specific in NGA), but I have very weird images in my mind when I see something like "monkey horse stance". Martial arts terms can be fun!

Latest Discussions