YouTube Videos of my students using Jow Ga Kung Fu

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I finally got around to doing something with my YouTube account. The video is just a little sample of our footwork and the use of sweeps and hooks.

Normally it's just videos of me but this time you can see some of the other students use kung fu techniques. The boy and the girl are our 2 long time students and heavy hitters. I hope to get a few more students like those two in 2017

mber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Very cool. I am curious about the lunging front sweep that I see several times in the video, it seems like it would be fundamentally imbalanced, is that considered a risky move with big payoff, or am I missing something?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very cool. I am curious about the lunging front sweep that I see several times in the video, it seems like it would be fundamentally imbalanced, is that considered a risky move with big payoff, or am I missing something?
It's a safe sweep with minimum risk. It's structurally sound and if you catch someone with it then the payoff is big. It would probably be easier to see the structure of this type of sweep if it's done in a drill.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to doing something with my YouTube account. The video is just a little sample of our footwork and the use of sweeps and hooks.

Normally it's just videos of me but this time you can see some of the other students use kung fu techniques. The boy and the girl are our 2 long time students and heavy hitters. I hope to get a few more students like those two in 2017
I'd be interested in seeing how I react to that. I tend to like having my legs for standing.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would be interesting to spar against someone trying to use that sweep. In the Wing Chun stance, we have very little weight put on the front foot, theoretically making it easier to move out of the way of sweeps/kicks/etc.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing how I react to that. I tend to like having my legs for standing.

In the Wing Chun stance, we have very little weight put on the front foot, theoretically making it easier to move out of the way of sweeps/kicks/etc.
I haven't tried sweeping anyone from your systems so it would be interesting to know if I can make adjustments. I will say this much. If I can make the person commit to certain movements then I can sweep them. The only question for me is, "Can I make you commit to the movement"

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't tried sweeping anyone from your systems so it would be interesting to know if I can make adjustments. I will say this much. If I can make the person commit to certain movements then I can sweep them. The only question for me is, "Can I make you commit to the movement"

Too bad I can't make it to Georgia any time soon.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use pressure with punches or kicks to make the lead leg light, otherwise I just put myself in a 'less safe' position.
So I am surprised you can do it from the stance position or perfect timing when the opponent is moving. Does it still works without a level gap?
PS: Nice video.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I use pressure with punches or kicks to make the lead leg light, otherwise I just put myself in a 'less safe' position.
So I am surprised you can do it from the stance position or perfect timing when the opponent is moving. Does it still works without a level gap?
PS: Nice video.
If you can get the opponent to move in any direction that causes them to give up their root then you can take advantage of that. The general rule for me is the leg that moves first is the leg that I want to interfere with. So if a person is trying to move backwards then I want to prevent the foot that will be landing first (which is usually the foot that moves first) from making it's destination. If the person is quick and likes to take angles then my brain calculates where they will land and I'll sweep there. So instead of me sweeping where your are, I sweep where you will be. I know where you will be because of your previous reactions to my punches, kicks, and other attacks tell me how far you will move to avoid it. Sometimes I throw punches without real intent to hit a person just so I can see how their feet moves. Do they cut left,? Do they move right? do they stand their ground? Which of my attacks trigger these types of movements. While my opponent is occupied with not getting hit, I'm studying his movement.

This is why I like aggressive fighters that always come after their opponent because I don't have to determine which way they will move. They will move straight towards me. I also know the distance that they will move forward will be relative to how far they have to close the gap.

I'm not sure what you mean with this question, "Does it still work without a level gap?"

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think he's asking if it works as well on someone of a similar skill level.
In that case, then yes. It works on people who are on the same skill level. The only time it becomes difficult is when someone knows that you are actually good at sweeping and they are good enough to avoid a sweep. If that happens then I'll have to get tricky in order to force some to move the way that I need them to move. For example, if you like to lift your leg to avoid my sweep then I may trigger you to lift your leg so I can grab it which gives me a free shot at the standing leg.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think he's asking if it works as well on someone of a similar skill level.
Even if you may not sweep your opponent down, you can still use "foot sweep" to:

- interrupt your opponent's attack,
- use his leading leg to jam his back leg,
- force him to lift that leg,
- force him to step back that leg,
- force him to drop more weight on that leg to resist against your sweep,
- set up your next attack,

The "foot sweep" is something that your opponent must respond no matter what level he may have. It has many benefits that the "low roundhouse kick" doesn't have.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where is your place at?
Our place is literally a small room that doubles as a PE room for a private school. The parts of the video that looks like a proper training gym is from a Sanda school that we are friends with. The private school saved our kung fu school big time. Now we are growing and hopefully we'll continue to grow so that we can get an actual place to train. Preferable something we can own vs rent.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kung Fu Wang is correct about responding to sweeps. If a person is fortunate enough to respond to it, then they should, especially since most successful sweeps don't give the opponent any option to respond.
Sweeps being used in competitions: Slow down the video when it comes to the sweep and take note of what was going on right before the sweep.

See 5:40

Some sweeps, some trips, some throws

Just totally dominated. Must have been really frustrating and tiring to keep getting off the ground.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most people who may not be familiar with sweeps usually think of the non-functional sweeps. They look good and the martial artists are able to do them really quickly but they don't have the structure that's need for the impact. When you look at the 2 sweeps you can easily see which of the 2 sweeps we would want to stay away from. (Provided that we had a chance to see the sweep and react to the sweep)
Non-functional sweeps

Functional Sweeps -

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are 35 different kind of "foot sweep" exist in Shuai Chiao. It's one principle that can be mapped into the most number of techniques.

Before you start to train foot sweep, you should start from

- shin bite (45 degree downward force),
- sticky kick (vertical upward force),
- scoop kick (horizontal force), and then
- foot sweep (45 degree upward force).

This way your "foot sweep" can cover more situations.

Last edited:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our place is literally a small room that doubles as a PE room for a private school. The parts of the video that looks like a proper training gym is from a Sanda school that we are friends with. The private school saved our kung fu school big time. Now we are growing and hopefully we'll continue to grow so that we can get an actual place to train. Preferable something we can own vs rent.

Dude. That doesn't tell me anything about where to go to visit the place. Is it like far out of state or relatively close to CA? CA meaning California.

Latest Discussions