Creating a style-thought experiment

Motorcycle

White Belt
Reaction score
Hopefully the title not chase people away. So here's what's it all about (no, not the Hokey Pokey): So after a day of sparring my friends & I decided to hang & do a horror movie marathon. After quite a few drinks & movies the subject that only guys & alcohol could create: What would be the best style to use against a horror movie slasher by someone going after them? The "human" ones of course. After debate we decided, due to the traits of them, no specific style be best & that someone that was hunting them would basically make own style to do so & be able to survive. So then of course we had to make a list of said traits. :p I was wondering if could get some people's opinions/help with this since it seems actually fun.

TRAITS
What is pain?- Most don't seem to feel any so locks & holds that control through application of pain would be pointless.
Peek-a-boo: They have annoying habit of suddenly appearing out of nowhere so some quick react/not think moves be in order.
Over 9000!: Almost all have inhuman strength so anything that pits force against force would be a bad idea.
I call it Vera: Everyone of them has a WoC (Weapon of Choice) or fondness for this to use in melee. No matter what use this gives them some range advantage & ways to injure & make bleed.
Big SoBs!: Most are taller than normal & more muscled than a normal person. Not only gives them reach, but make them harder to throw & such.
Masquerade Ready: Many of them wear masks which would make it hard to do effective face strikes or such things as eye rakes. Though might limit peripheral vision & itself possibly used against them.
Kung-Fu Grip!: Once get a hold of someone they seem to clamp down. Need ways to avoid/deal with.

Those are main ones we came up with. Feel free to suggest other & I will modify it.

I'm thinking a style that focuses on disarms, escapes & structural damage (bone breaks & dislocations) with a hit & move pattern is a good base. Also weapon style that focus on the shorter bladed weapons be good in case you manage to disarm them & get their WoC, I know the whole premise is silly, but like that it makes one think. So please don't mock me too much & give honest suggestions/opinions. Thanks.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hopefully the title not chase people away. So here's what's it all about (no, not the Hokey Pokey): So after a day of sparring my friends & I decided to hang & do a horror movie marathon. After quite a few drinks & movies the subject that only guys & alcohol could create: What would be the best style to use against a horror movie slasher by someone going after them? The "human" ones of course. After debate we decided, due to the traits of them, no specific style be best & that someone that was hunting them would basically make own style to do so & be able to survive. So then of course we had to make a list of said traits. :p I was wondering if could get some people's opinions/help with this since it seems actually fun.

TRAITS
What is pain?- Most don't seem to feel any so locks & holds that control through application of pain would be pointless.
Peek-a-boo: They have annoying habit of suddenly appearing out of nowhere so some quick react/not think moves be in order.
Over 9000!: Almost all have inhuman strength so anything that pits force against force would be a bad idea.
I call it Vera: Everyone of them has a WoC (Weapon of Choice) or fondness for this to use in melee. No matter what use this gives them some range advantage & ways to injure & make bleed.
Big SoBs!: Most are taller than normal & more muscled than a normal person. Not only gives them reach, but make them harder to throw & such.
Masquerade Ready: Many of them wear masks which would make it hard to do effective face strikes or such things as eye rakes. Though might limit peripheral vision & itself possibly used against them.
Kung-Fu Grip!: Once get a hold of someone they seem to clamp down. Need ways to avoid/deal with.

Those are main ones we came up with. Feel free to suggest other & I will modify it.

I'm thinking a style that focuses on disarms, escapes & structural damage (bone breaks & dislocations) with a hit & move pattern is a good base. Also weapon style that focus on the shorter bladed weapons be good in case you manage to disarm them & get their WoC, I know the whole premise is silly, but like that it makes one think. So please don't mock me too much & give honest suggestions/opinions. Thanks.

Movie monsters and Martial Arts?.... I'm all in.

Going to have to depend on the director, though, or if any particular project (movie, tv show, podcast, internet thing, whatever) is brought up. But, in general?

First we would have to determine the monsters. Are we talking zombies? Aliens? Slimy things? An entity like from "Fallen" (Danzel)

And then we would need to look at the hero who shall fight them. Are we trying to come up with a method for him to fight the presented evil - or to try and establish a Hero figure who can, indeed, fight and defeat this evil we have presented?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think that is probably best alright. Or even without a focus, at least some attention to disarms and dislocations. But even so, most martial arts with a skilled practitioner should have advantages over those few horror movie subjects I have seen, if the MA practitioner keeps their cool and doesn't panic.

I didn't bold bone breaks since I think that would require more power and would need a little more training than joint dislocations.

OP
M

Motorcycle

White Belt
Reaction score
Ah, once again my mental short hand may have led me to leave out a few things. Allow me to clarify & I apologize for the inconvenience.

Buka: It's as if that world exists & are living in it. There are Psycho Slashers with pretty much inhuman strength & hardiness. These aren't supernatural though. That brings up a whole other sort of problems. The style is what was created by someone with 1st hand experience with said Slashers, has a tactical mind, made sure he got martial art training after said encounter, & is actively hunting them down. (Why doesn't he use a gun? Well, we all know guns don't work. :p)

Oftheheard: By bone breaking I was thinking to target the more fragile ones like knee caps, ankles, & fingers. Elbows be good as well, but would require more work. The 1st two targets would hopefully slow the Slasher down & get the fingers harder for them to use their WoC.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmmm....my 6th Degree bad-a$$ self should be enough. Oh, and my trusty 12 gauge as well. :D

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
This was already covered in the Chuck Norris movie SILENT RAGE! And since it was Chuck, guess who won?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Best way throw a blonde cheerleader at them or tell them you are a virgin. If you have to fight use fire. If you have to engage in a empty handed then evasiveness, most likely use a choke they breathe right?

OP
M

Motorcycle

White Belt
Reaction score
Seen Silent Rage. Pretty good movie. Then ending shows that the killer is still kickin. In that movie Chuck used his style to deal with the killer & he still had some problems due to way the guy was. His high skill & ability to improvise & take advantage of the environment enabled him to come out on top. This is about creating a style to deal with those types specifically. Since things that would be VERY effective on normal people would be nearly pointless when applied to them.

Part of the danger is that these Slashers can think. They aren't mindless like zombies. People tend to forget that they stalk victims without being seen, make sure to target most victims when they are alone, know how to terrorize them, & are usually masters of their environment. Also good at figuring out which way victims will go & manage to come at them sideways.

Edit: Yes they breathe. The problem I see though with that is their sheer strength & cunningness. They could simply overpower a person & break the hold or the limb applying the hold. Also could stab the person or slice limb with their WoC or slam them against floor/ground. Provided they react fast, which most seem to do.

Last edited:

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you had no edge would a bottle with cracked off base open his brachial or subclavian? Or could it be plunged it in his eyes, it should be possible to pin him for long enough just for this, no?? :D

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seen Silent Rage. Pretty good movie. Then ending shows that the killer is still kickin. In that movie Chuck used his style to deal with the killer & he still had some problems due to way the guy was. His high skill & ability to improvise & take advantage of the environment enabled him to come out on top. This is about creating a style to deal with those types specifically. Since things that would be VERY effective on normal people would be nearly pointless when applied to them.

Part of the danger is that these Slashers can think. They aren't mindless like zombies. People tend to forget that they stalk victims without being seen, make sure to target most victims when they are alone, know how to terrorize them, & are usually masters of their environment. Also good at figuring out which way victims will go & manage to come at them sideways.

Edit: Yes they breathe. The problem I see though with that is their sheer strength & cunningness. They could simply overpower a person & break the hold or the limb applying the hold. Also could stab the person or slice limb with their WoC or slam them against floor/ground. Provided they react fast, which most seem to do.

The thing is, they think about only one thing: killing you. That single-minded determination is what makes them the most dangerous.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best thing would be to learn and take advantage of the physical laws in the movie-verse in which you find yourself. Killers such as Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers possess superhuman strength and durability, which means such abilities are possible in their universes. If such abilities are possible, then it should be possible to train them. Therefore an expert martial artist might have access to the full range of Wuxia powers - superhuman reflexes, speed, and power, not to mention running up walls, catching blades with bare hands, detecting surprise attacks through extraordinary senses, and so on. The most important trick is to make sure you are written as the protagonist and not the mentor or best friend who is murdered to provide motivation for the hero.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lol I'm black so it's not looking good for me from the start... just saying. lol. With that said.
1. When in doubt run it out.
2. Don't be the only black person in the group. Black people are usually first to go when in a horror movie so having another black guy there increases the chances that another black person may go first.
3. Don't volunteer to go down dark halls, to check to see who is outside, or offer to hold back the attacker while others escape. This just speeds up the process of getting killeded. Yes. Killeded. lol
4. Stay away from the people who scream. If the black guy can avoid being killed first then he can use the screams of the other people to pinpoint the killers location and run in the opposite direction.
5. Don't hide with people who ask a lot of questions because all they are going to do is just give away your hiding space by yelling "Who is there?" and "Is that you?"
6. Avoid things that black people usually don't do. Camping, checking out creepy houses, cemeteries, house in the middle of nowhere, ghosts, swimming.. you know that type of stuff.
7. Learn how to recognize the signs that you should stay home. Basically when a lot of bad things happen before you get to your destination.
Examples: Uneasy feeling that you may be the only black person there, hit a deer on your way to your destination.
8. When you arrive to your destination and see creepy stuff. Don't say anything, don't warn anybody, don't look scurred. Just leave

when you don't see black people in ghost and horror movies, it's because they they followed these rules. lol

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
lol I'm black so it's not looking good for me from the start... just saying. lol. With that said.
1. When in doubt run it out.
2. Don't be the only black person in the group. Black people are usually first to go when in a horror movie so having another black guy there increases the chances that another black person may go first.
3. Don't volunteer to go down dark halls, to check to see who is outside, or offer to hold back the attacker while others escape. This just speeds up the process of getting killeded. Yes. Killeded. lol
4. Stay away from the people who scream. If the black guy can avoid being killed first then he can use the screams of the other people to pinpoint the killers location and run in the opposite direction.
5. Don't hide with people who ask a lot of questions because all they are going to do is just give away your hiding space by yelling "Who is there?" and "Is that you?"
6. Avoid things that black people usually don't do. Camping, checking out creepy houses, cemeteries, house in the middle of nowhere, ghosts, swimming.. you know that type of stuff.
7. Learn how to recognize the signs that you should stay home. Basically when a lot of bad things happen before you get to your destination.
Examples: Uneasy feeling that you may be the only black person there, hit a deer on your way to your destination.
8. When you arrive to your destination and see creepy stuff. Don't say anything, don't warn anybody, don't look scurred. Just leave

when you don't see black people in ghost and horror movies, it's because they they followed these rules. lol
On the other hand ...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best thing would be to learn and take advantage of the physical laws in the movie-verse in which you find yourself. Killers such as Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers possess superhuman strength and durability, which means such abilities are possible in their universes. If such abilities are possible, then it should be possible to train them. Therefore an expert martial artist might have access to the full range of Wuxia powers - superhuman reflexes, speed, and power, not to mention running up walls, catching blades with bare hands, detecting surprise attacks through extraordinary senses, and so on. The most important trick is to make sure you are written as the protagonist and not the mentor or best friend who is murdered to provide motivation for the hero.
Wait a minute...you can't do these things? Can't everybody?