Offical Ryu Ha studies & Ranking!

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Also Chris Parker seems to like almost everything about them as well.

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
he is an encyclopedia when it come to these ryu ha.

Me a encyclopedia? I make mistakes too :)

Let me tell a story about me and a Genbukan Kyoshi (Wideman Kyoshi should remember this story) having a discussion about a castle being connected to Takagi Yoshin-ryu. We were at the Aizu Castle (Aizu-jo) and I overheard him say something to the effect that this castle was connected to TYR. I said there must be a mistake, TYR was usually associated with the castle near Kobe (Akashi-jo). Well, I made an **** out of myself, because later after reading some more info on Takagi Yoshin-ryu I made found out a few things. Takagi Oriemon, was a retainer of Katakura Kojuro in Mutsu Province. Aizu-han was part of Mutsu Province. Talk about foot-in-mouth. I hope the Kyoshi forgives my mistakes.

Anyway, this story should help Ninpo81 as well... Don't assume anything. Do research first before making any comments. If you hear anything that you are not sure of, make a mental note and go back and research before making any comments.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

OP
T

Troy Wideman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi George,

Forgiven, Hee hee. Hey are you coming to the Canadian Tai Kai.

Troy

Ninpo81

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently made the decision to join and train in the Genbukan.

Which reminded me of this post I had made and I felt I should come back and revisit this. I had made this decision long ago but was swayed by a Bujinkan Shihan not to do this (who it was is not important, mainly because I promised that I would keep it between this person and myself but I can tell you he is a highly respected member of that org and supposedly got his information directly from Nagato) His statements at the time we're shocking but for some reason after reading Ninpo Secrets so many times, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that Tanemura would do such things as he was stating. Or perhaps these things did take place and Tanemura has changed since then. Either way after reading statements here and a lot of recent digging on the net I was able to clear up some other misinformations I had gathered from various Bujinkan members about Tanemura sensei. Thus leading me back to my original decision of wanting to join the Genbukan before I was persuaded not to. This is not to say that I think badly of the Bujinkan though, it's not my intent for this post; I highly respect Hatsumi but I also equally respect Tanemura. I just think the way Tanemura does things is the way that best suites me, Tanemura has had what I've been looking for all these years and the past 5 years I've spent training alone and following mainly Bujinkan advice and training aids has been a rather large headache I must admit. Too many people in the org here in America say too many different things about what is right and what is wrong etc etc. I always end up right back at the same place, who do I trust? who should I train with? I cannot afford to go to Japan and study with Hatsumi and even if I did he doesn't give out rank in the ryu-ha themselves so what is the point? I highly respect the man and think he's great but from what I understand he isn't even teaching the entire art anymore. One big thing Genbukan has that the Bujinkan does not (well at least not until you've spent years in the org) is the spiritual training, I've had the Genbukan 10kyu dvd for about a year or so now and know you guys start learning things like Ketsu-In from day one. The spiritual aspects of the art are just as much of an interest to me ast he rest. Hatsumi from what I understand doesn't make these things available to you until 2nd Dan and then again at 10th dan. This probably sounds like I'm bad mouthing him but I assure you I am not. Overall I look forward to meeting some of you in training and again apologize if I have offended anyone at anytime for this post.

I furthermore need to retract my statements made previously as I was misinformed and completely blinded by the cloud that had been..thrown into my eyes?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently made the decision to join and train in the Genbukan.

Congratulations! I think you will enjoy it.

I just think the way Tanemura does things is the way that best suites me,

Different strokes for different people. I like the structured way of Genbukan. For me, it is probably the best fit.

Good luck.

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm quite sure you will enjoy it. If the spiritual aspects interest you, you should probably try to attend the Amatsu Tatara Taikai in ireland this year, although i think getting in might be getting more difficult by now (many people want to attend).

All the same, I hope you will enjoy the way of Genbukan, I know i do.

Ninpo81

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd love too, as this is one of the many reasons I've chosen to study under Tanemura. However no way can I afford to go.

For now I suppose the books he has put out will have to do.

I do look forward to training with him personally one day if possible.

For now I'm just going to focus on getting started in training from the ground up. I think it's good I have a background and much knowledge but I'm no idiot I know I will need to start from zero and work my way up. I wouldn't have it any other way though. Quality for me is much better than quantity.