Obsession with Glocks

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some people as I've noticed tend to be overly obsessed with Glocks. I personally like the Glock, its a good gun, but its taking a bit far to say its the best gun for every situation, which believe it or not some people think that. While the Glock is high up on my list there are brands that I like better. So what's it with the obsession with Glocks?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are simple. So you are.not trying to reinvent the wheel. So yes there are better guns but if you do not know why. Get a glock.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glocks are Ugly, but they fire when the trigger is pulled.
Glocks are forgiving if you don't take care of them or keep them clean and they fire when the trigger is pulled.
Glocks are not real finicky about the type of ammunition, and they fire when the trigger is pulled.
Glocks are simple and easy to use and they fire when the trigger is pulled.
Glocks are tough and can get thrown around dropped in the dirt or sand and they fire when the trigger is pulled.
I am not a real fan of Glocks but I do own a couple. Why; "Because they fire when the trigger is pulled!!!"

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
^^^ What that guy said... People love Glocks because they shoot. Sure they arent the prettiest gun in the world but nothing could be worse than pulling out your weapon in a life or death situation and having it not fire. Glocks are known for their reliability, and in my world that is a lot more important than how a gun looks. This is why people love them.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people as I've noticed tend to be overly obsessed with Glocks. I personally like the Glock, its a good gun, but its taking a bit far to say its the best gun for every situation, which believe it or not some people think that. While the Glock is high up on my list there are brands that I like better. So what's it with the obsession with Glocks?

I have no idea. Maybe you should go to some other forum, where people are actually saying these things, and ask them?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Were you on GlockTalk by any chance? Seriously, go hand out at SigForum or 1911Forum, you probably won't have an issue there.

Glocks are well thought of because they do what a gun needs to do, go bang when you pull the trigger and are more accurate than most shooters. I'll be the first to say that other pistols have better ergonomics, but I'm pretty used to my Glocks at this point and don't really see a need to invest in whole new pistol set up.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think it is actually true being ceramic, but those Glocks do show up in quite a few thriller novels that I have read. The usual thing where an assassin or a crazy has them to get through x-rays and customs. The Sig seems to be quite popular too.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't think it is actually true being ceramic, but those Glocks do show up in quite a few thriller novels that I have read. The usual thing where an assassin or a crazy has them to get through x-rays and customs. The Sig seems to be quite popular too.

Only in the books or movies do they get them through customs. That's an old urban myth from the 80s, that its easy to get Glocks through customs because they're plastic. Glocks are no easier to get through customs than anything else and a Glock is about 80 percent metal.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glocks are not real finicky about the type of ammunition, and they fire when the trigger is pulled.
I do know a case of this guy who destroyed two Glocks with the ammo he was using. Glocks do tend to blow up with hot loads.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^ What that guy said... People love Glocks because they shoot. Sure they arent the prettiest gun in the world but nothing could be worse than pulling out your weapon in a life or death situation and having it not fire. Glocks are known for their reliability, and in my world that is a lot more important than how a gun looks. This is why people love them.

Glocks are good, I never said otherwise. Its just that they're some people who think its the best gun for every and any situation and I think that's taking it a bit far. I've got a really good Glock and Im glad I've got it in my collection although I could've instead gotten a Kimber, if I wasn't also getting a Ruger. With that along with the price of the Glock, I was spending enough to buy a Kimber.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do know a case of this guy who destroyed two Glocks with the ammo he was using. Glocks do tend to blow up with hot loads.
And that is why you use ammunition the weapon is rated for.
Glocks are not finicky with the different brands or types of ammunition. Loads that are higher rated than with the weapon can withstand will damage any firearm. Some manufacturers underrate their products to protect the manufacturer from the consumer who over loads the ammunition, some are rated properly.

PhotonGuy said:
Glocks are good, I never said otherwise. Its just that they're some people who think its the best gun for every and any situation and I think that's taking it a bit far.
I know people who are the same with Sigs, 1911s, and Rugers as well. ???
There is no one firearm that is the best in "every and any situation" and I believe in an intelligent conversation most all firearms educated persons would agree. Maybe they feel the Glock is the best overall for most situations.

PhotonGuy said:
I've got a really good Glock and Im glad I've got it in my collection although I could've instead gotten a Kimber, if I wasn't also getting a Ruger. With that along with the price of the Glock, I was spending enough to buy a Kimber.
Ok ???

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny T is right on the money.

Many firearms manufacturers have copied the Glock in some way, shape or form.

Glocks are in approx. 70% of the holsters of L.E. in the U.S. I don't know specifically the % of foreign military and L.E. but it is quite high. And there is a valid reason i.e. it works.

Glocks do tend to blow up with hot loads.

No, they don't. Any firearm can be damaged if for example a handload is double charged. But a Glock can handle +P+ all day long. I've done it. Col. Chuck Taylor, last I heard, had put over 450,000 rounds through the same G17. And his claim is to only have cleaned it every 10K rounds on purpose.

I'm heading towards my third decade of shooting and teaching people to shoot with Glock. I rely on it as my duty and choose it as my off duty firearm. That's about the highest recommendation I can offer.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I find that less than believable.

I have glocks and other makes of firearms as well. A Glock certainly would not be the best for every job because quite frankly some jobs require a handgun but if you can use a long gun that would always be the first choice. In regards to malfunctions with my Glocks I have never even had a malfunction of any kind after thousands upon thousands of rounds in multiple handguns. No stove pipes or anything which I have encountered with other makes. Your friend probably did some thing very wrong to have that result or was trying to get that result or failed in realizing he had a problem. Some people probably shouldn't own a firearm.

The reason people like Glocks is that they are simple, efficient and can take a lot of abuse. No external doo hickeys getting in the way just adds to the reason to love them.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
A Glock certainly would not be the best for every job because quite frankly some jobs require a handgun but if you can use a long gun that would always be the first choice.

I think what you meant to say is quite frankly some jobs require a long gun but that if you can use a handgun the Glock would be your first choice.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This guy basically explains the obsession with Glocks.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in his explanation. Nor would I put a lot of stock in his actual level of experience. But as 'Dalton' stated...'Opinions vary'. ;)

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My first handgun I purchased was a Glock 17 and it was primarily because of my LEO friends that swore by them. I have since fired other guns that I like better, but my Glock was and is very reliable.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Utter tripe.
And no doubt you won't have any more support for this ******** claim than the other idiocy you post.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glocks are good, I never said otherwise. Its just that they're some people who think its the best gun for every and any situation and I think that's taking it a bit far. I've got a really good Glock and Im glad I've got it in my collection although I could've instead gotten a Kimber, if I wasn't also getting a Ruger. With that along with the price of the Glock, I was spending enough to buy a Kimber.
There are folks equally devoted to the 1911 or Sig or S&W... People like what they like. They like what they're familiar with. They like what fits their needs.

And Glocks go bang when you pull the trigger. Damn reliably.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest Discussions