Obama floats plan for a 'secretary of Business' if he wins second term

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[h=1]Obama floats plan for a 'secretary of Business' if he wins second term[/h]
By Peter Schroeder - 10/29/12 10:34 AM ET The Hill Excerpt:

President Obama says he would like to establish a "secretary of Business" if he wins a second term.
In an interview with MSNBC, the president said he wants to consolidate a number of business and trade-related agencies, creating a "one-stop shop" for oversight.

"I’ve said that I want to consolidate a whole bunch of government agencies. We should have one secretary of Business, instead of nine different departments that are dealing with things like giving loans to SBA [the Small Business Administration] or helping companies with exports," he said in an interview with MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough.Obama's statements amount to a late-campaign effort to burnish his business credentials against Republican Mitt Romney, who has highlighted his success as a private equity executive throughout the presidential race.
End Excerpt
Huh, a "Secretary of Business" sounds like a halfway decent idea, I wonder why no one ever thought of that...
Oh, wait:
The department was originally created as the United States Department of Commerce and Labor on February 14, 1903.
Yeah, this is almost as worthless a proposal as Kucinich's "Department of Peace"
If you don't understand government, maybe you should seek work elsewhere...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlas_Shrugged_characters#Wesley_Mouch

The incompetent and treacherous lobbyist whom Hank Rearden reluctantly employs in Washington, who rises to prominence and authority throughout the novel through trading favours and disloyalty. In return for betraying Hank by helping broker the Equalization of Opportunity Bill (which, by restricting the number of businesses each person may own to one, forces Hank to divest most of his companies), he is given a senior position at the Bureau of Economic Planning and National Resources. Later in the novel he becomes its Top Co-ordinator, a position that eventually becomes Economic Dictator of the country.