Obama Effigy Hanged in Georgia Town

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Obama effigy hanged in Jimmy Carter's home town

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8438852.stm
The US Secret Service says it is investigating after an effigy of Barack Obama was found hanging in the home town of former President Jimmy Carter.
TV footage showed the doll hanging by a noose in front of a red, white and blue sign that reads "Plains, Georgia. Home of Jimmy Carter, our 39th President".
Witnesses said the effigy had President Obama's name on it.
Plains Mayor LE Godwin III said the fire department had been called to take it down.
In Washington, US Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan confirmed that the agency was investigating the case.
Footage on local television station, WALB, showed a large black doll hanging over the sign, which is located above a shop on the main street in the rural town.
Just when you thought all that crap of racism and hatred was going to fade away.... some stupid narrow minded and short-sighted ignaramus goes and does this.
I know lots of folks that don't like Obama but I think they're a lot more intelligent than the idjit that hung that black doll out of a store front.
Personally I think they should be a bit more careful about how they portray anti-Obama-isms... one bumper sticker I saw the other day ... showed a pair of hands bound together in chains and the caption reading "Obama, Chains we can believe in".... the hands weren't necessarily of any race that I could see but still... the message.

This message (below) I think is more politically in line. I found this funnier than anything else I've seen so far.

Attachments

• $NEW YEARS 2010 052.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 115

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely grotesque! Agree or not with him, find fault with him for one reason or another ... but he's still the president. Not just the president for the people who voted for him, but all of us and he deserves that respect.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Office deserves respect, not necessarily the person that holds it.

It's the "peoples" resonsibility to help ensure tyrants don't take this country and our rights away from us. In the past, we've done a pretty horrible job of it and now are dealing with decades upon decades of the result of allowing our Bill of Rights and Constitution to be used as so much toilet paper.

I'm not endorsing this efigy any more than any other, but more and more people are getting sick of the focus of our government not being on the economy and things that effect real people's lives every day for the sake of party and personal agendas and it's showing more and more every day.

Why should there be any more outrage over this efigy than say the one below?

Attachments

• $W Efigy Burned.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 110

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed.
It's the "peoples" resonsibility to help ensure tyrants don't take this country and our rights away from us. In the past, we've done a pretty horrible job of it and now are dealing with decades upon decades of the result of allowing our Bill of Rights and Constitution to be used as so much toilet paper.
I couldn't agree more.
I'm not endorsing this efigy any more than any other, but more and more people are getting sick of the focus of our government not being on the economy and things that effect real people's lives every day for the sake of party and personal agendas and it's showing more and more every day.
Okay ...
Why should there be any more outrage over this efigy than say the one below?
Likely because the intent of this thread - as I see it, anyway - is to point out the abject racism that is alive and well in the South today. It is hard to argue the many video recordings of southern (and other) people who said outright that they were registered Democrats but would not be voting for Obama because they didn't think a black man should run the country.

I'd be outraged if the effigy were of Jesse Jackson, Colin Powell or even James Earl Jones.

And frankly, I'd be surprised if the secret service weren't all over this really soon.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Secret Service is investigating, as they do all threats, suggestions of threat and perceived risks to the President, Vice President and their families.

I make no apology for my dislike of Obama's politics, however I want him and his family to exit the White House in 2012 safe, sound and healthy, and to live a long and boring life afterwards.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
True but isn't the person a reflection of the Office? It goes both ways I think.
Ronald Regan was being Roasted at one time (while in office) ... master insulter Don Rickles was up and doing his shtick and Regan laughingly called out to Rickles "Go ahead Don, insult me!" and Rickles got serious and said ... "I can't, you're the President and I wouldn't feel right doing that"... of course he made a quick quip about the secret service which I canna remember... but it says something right there.

It's the "peoples" responsibility to help ensure tyrants don't take this country and our rights away from us. In the past, we've done a pretty horrible job of it and now are dealing with decades upon decades of the result of allowing our Bill of Rights and Constitution to be used as so much toilet paper.
VERY TRUE and heartily agree... hopefully we will do something before it's too late...
I'm not endorsing this effigy any more than any other, but more and more people are getting sick of the focus of our government not being on the economy and things that effect real people's lives every day for the sake of party and personal agendas and it's showing more and more every day.
Agreed, political cartoons are one thing... hanging or burning effigys are another and hint at violent intent or desired intent towards the person. Which is why the SS (gads what a misnomer eh?) is looking into it.
I wouldn't have agreed with it if Obama was white and they hung one out... it's still WRONG.
But imagine if Obama was white and the effigy was hung outside a BLACK neighborhood?
What would the response be then?

I make no apology for my dislike of Obama's politics, however I want him and his family to exit the White House in 2012 safe, sound and healthy, and to live a long and boring life afterwards.
Agreed, a man voted by the people can be removed from office legally and safely without harm to himself or his family... and they should be able to do so without fear of repercussions.
Yet it says something when the past presidents and their families get 24 hour security year round til their deaths.