NY Schools doing away with Valedictorian awards

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
this makes no sense what so ever
Most high school achievement is based on wrote memorization with only token efforts at real comprehension and application of the knowledge. Achieving well in high school means something, but often achievement of this kind is taken to mean things beyond it's actual reality. If you don't understand what I'm saying :idunno:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i dont think anyone cufuses valedictorian with "best all around"

it is what it is, the kid with the highest grade point average.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, I have to agree with TF...the best grade is the best grade. The first across the finish line is the winner even if the athlete was blessed with some superior genetic trait the other athletes were not. The rest sounds like rationalization for why "the valedictorian wasnt necessarily smarter than me".

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I find ironic is the same people that support crap like this are the same ones that supposedly advocate diversity! :erg:

Every individual has strengths and weaknesses unique unto themselves. I feel that one of the primary roles of an educator should be to identify those strengths and weaknesses, foster the strengths, and help reinforce the weaknesses.

Everybody can't win a Nobel Prize.

Everybody can't earn a Super Bowl ring.

Everybody can't write an Best Seller.

Everybody can't win an Oscar.

But everybody can find something they are good at and focus on excelling at it.

It's ridiculous to support anything that would hinder someone's education for the sake of the percieved ego of another. What if that were the norm back when Louis Pasteur was in school?

It's the exceptional that help propel man forward so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out the consequences of hindering those with the capacity to really shine.

We're our own worst enemy.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
and NOW you have discovered why i want to take liberals and slap them about the head and shoulders untill they get it