Now, I know why they killed him...

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was listening to this just the other day on the radio, and I am convinced for myself that he knew he was going to get hit! If people believe in G-d, they may believe that King was given insight, that he was about to get killed?
Without a doubt in my mind. I believe very much that he knew he was going to be killed, and he knew why.

One famous quote in his speech was a clear Biblical allusion to exactly this fact. "I have been to the mountain, and I have seen the other side." This was a reference to Moses, who was allowed by God to lead His people to the Promised Land, but because of his personal failing and sin, was not allowed to enter it himself. God allowed Moses to view the Promised Land from one end to the other, from the top of a mountain on the other side of Jordan, but Moses never set one foot inside it. God even told Moses that he would die there, on that mountain.

Dr. King "fought the good fight" and "finished his course" and I believe he "served the purposes of God in his generation". I believe he was very much aware of his own human frailty and failures. I believe God allowed him to see the eventual success of The Dream, even though in his lifetime on this earth, he was never able to enter into it and enjoy it himself. I believe he knew he was going to die, and he willingly accepted this fact: it was a price he was more than willing to pay.

May we live to see the fruit of the seeds he sowed and walk in that Promised Land! Selah!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, being appointed by democrat FDR probably made Hoover non-partisan...

Actually, DOn, J. Edgar already had the job. He'd been appointed acting head of the old Bureau of Identification, the FBI's predecessor. The man who appointed him was the Attorney General, Harlan Fiske. Calvin Coolidge-a republican-was president. Of course, if Hoover had any party affiliation, it was as a registered anti-communist. Given his hatred for the Kennedys, it's hard to say that he had any party affiliation-especially democrat.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually, DOn, J. Edgar already had the job. He'd been appointed acting head of the old Bureau of Identification, the FBI's predecessor. The man who appointed him was the Attorney General, Harlan Fiske. Calvin Coolidge-a republican-was president. Of course, if Hoover had any party affiliation, it was as a registered anti-communist. Given his hatred for the Kennedys, it's hard to say that he had any party affiliation-especially democrat.

Thunk. Wow! History really does matter! Duh...

I am getting so sick of this two party system, I can feel the bile rising in my throat. If Americans could spend a mintute or two studying Hegel they'd see right through it.

Latest Discussions