Not MA but a good topic (IMHO)

G

Gaidheal

On the original post and topic..

When they went to the USA my aunt and uncle were warned about exactly the things you described. Especially the "don't get out of the car, make sure your hands are on the wheel/in sight". I also have another friend who spooked an officer somewhere in the US when they visited, because they reached into the glove box to get out documents. Things here in the UK are a lot different. I was glad I'd heard about this before I visited AZ myself, because I would usually get out of the car and think nothing of reaching into pockets/containers etc, for documents or whatever. Very good thread, in my opinion. Think I prefer the UK situation though ;¬)

John

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The police in the US definitly share a burdon that stems from our right to keep and bear. Many US citizens emphaticly reserve this right, (rightfully so), and as a consequence the police are in greater danger when they make a stop, because they have to interpret and decide what is hostile or innocent and what is legal or illegal, all with consequences that range from liable to deadly. I for one will say that I think that the police, and the citizens to some extent, carry extra burdon and responsibility for our rights, but it is deemed necessary to maintain those rights and order at the same time. They really should pay these guys more. Stops may be easier in the UK, but it's because they losth their freedom to carry weapons for any reason. Not a good trade in my opinion.