No ideas about a video for an old Nam Vet?

bsw

White Belt
Reaction score
Disabled with a bad heart and lung problem...Need some quick and heavy duty moves.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Disabled"?
Are you in situations that you are in fear of your life or serious bodily injury?

If you are physically disabled then a physical confrontation is the last thing you want.
1. Remove yourself from the situation or don't be there to begin with.
2. If you are unable to remove yourself or not be there then de-escalation skills are a must.
3. Being disabled then there is disparity of force
4. Get trained with a firearm and be prepared mentally as well as physically skilled to use it.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Disabled"?
Are you in situations that you are in fear of your life or serious bodily injury?

If you are physically disabled then a physical confrontation is the last thing you want.
1. Remove yourself from the situation or don't be there to begin with.
2. If you are unable to remove yourself or not be there then de-escalation skills are a must.
3. Being disabled then there is disparity of force
4. Get trained with a firearm and be prepared mentally as well as physically skilled to use it.
If he's a nam vet surely he knows how to use a firearm

Last edited:

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This thread is confusing what do you mean a video? "No ideas about a video for an old nam vet" reading that then the message doesn't make much sense to me or am I just being thick here

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he's a nam vet surely he knows how to use a firearm

Oh…
Then he and I may have shared some of the same dirt at one time however, just because he was in Nam doesn’t mean he is still trained in using a firearm. That would have been 41 years ago at the earliest. Safe and proper use of a firearm under stress is a degradable fine motor skill. Having the skill to deploy, aim and fire under stress as a trained young man vs today as a disabled 60 something to as much as an 80 something year old is not the same.

Hence, my statement.

OP
B

bsw

White Belt
Reaction score
Oh…
Then he and I may have shared some of the same dirt at one time however, just because he was in Nam doesn’t mean he is still trained in using a firearm. That would have been 41 years ago at the earliest. Safe and proper use of a firearm under stress is a degradable fine motor skill. Having the skill to deploy, aim and fire under stress as a trained young man vs today as a disabled 60 something to as much as an 80 something year old is not the same.

Hence, my statement.

Better than excellent shot with my 1911 Custom Les Baer. Decorated with CIB, Silver Star and other lesser decorations. And I am indeed thinking about carrying it...just a don't want jail for doing so...and murder II for head shot...can do at 50 yards. But I can always just hit the bastard with it if I want to avoid discharging and hoping that just the sight will back the ******* off. Still a cane using a forward thrust to throat sounds good also, and because I am indeed disabled and have a clean record the Law would just see it as self defense...which it would be.

Just looking for a good video of quick moves where one move does the job.
But thanks for the thought...it has merit, not knowing me.

bsw

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Better than excellent shot with my 1911 Custom Les Baer. Decorated with CIB, Silver Star and other lesser decorations. And I am indeed thinking about carrying it...just a don't want jail for doing so...and murder II for head shot...can do at 50 yards. But I can always just hit the bastard with it if I want to avoid discharging and hoping that just the sight will back the ******* off. Still a cane using a forward thrust to throat sounds good also, and because I am indeed disabled and have a clean record the Law would just see it as self defense...which it would be.

bsw

It doesn't exist.

Firstly, no video is going to take into account your particular disability or requirements, let alone any particular situation you might find yourself in.

Next, no video is going to do anything other than give you ideas, which is bluntly useless as a resource for combative training. You need to actually train (and be trained properly) in whatever you intend to use and apply.

The best option for you is to look at what schools are available to you in your area, and visit them… talk to the instructors, see if they can help with your requests, and so on. Forget looking for videos, or thinking that a three word description of a move on a forum is in anyway practically useful for you. They're the lazy way out, and don't actually help you at all.

D

Deleted member 34973

I think you stated it best...a cane to the throat. Find a video about self defense using a cane. There are tons of them. Someone with your background, should have no problem learning from a video.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

bsw
Very good...
Thank you much for your time spend in service and your valor.

As a combat vet you well know there is no set of quick moves or actions where one move does the job in a firefight or ambush...correct? Do your really believe such to be the case in a hand to hand situation as a civilian?

A cane can be an excellent accessory but again there is no one set of moves that does the job in all situations.

With your previous experience and apparent continued ability to utilize your firearm I'd build a self-defense profile around that capability and utilize awareness of surroundings, profiling persons around you, trueful knowledge of your weaknesses and strengths in defending yourself, and act accordingly.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you stated it best...a cane to the throat. Find a video about self defense using a cane. There are tons of them. Someone with your background, should have no problem learning from a video.
What is it about his background that makes you feel he should have no trouble learning from a video?

D

Deleted member 34973

What is it about his background that makes you feel he should have no trouble learning from a video?
His combat experience in Nam. With his background, he would know what works for him at his age. What in his background makes you think he can't?

D

Deleted member 34973

That and the fact he asked about a video instead of a live instructor.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

bsw

If a video is all you can get because you are in a remote location with no MA schools, then I would suggest you look for Kendo or Aikido videos. If you have either one of those schools, check them out to see if they will teach you moves with a cane. There are ways of changing grips that may not be obvious from a video. Kuk Sool Won schools, and even Hapkido may teach you cane methods also. But the Hapkido I learned, it wasn't taught until after attaining a 1st degree BB. I don't know when it might be taught in Kuk Sool Won.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
His combat experience in Nam. With his background, he would know what works for him at his age. What in his background makes you think he can't?
I don't think any background makes one better suited to learn from video. It's a poor medium to teach these kinds of skills.

But this is a tired argument that we see here over and over.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That and the fact he asked about a video instead of a live instructor.
Sure, that's what he asked for.

But the honest answer is to educate him on the fact that video instruction doesn't work, even tho that what he asked for.

D

Deleted member 34973

Sure, that's what he asked for.

But the honest answer is to educate him on the fact that video instruction doesn't work, even tho that what he asked for.
Problem is, that is an opinion and he apparently disagrees or he would have asked for information on an instructor.

This isn't some young kid with no experience. This is a guy who already has combat experience in one of the U.S.'s deadliest wars. I would think that he has by far more experience in understanding what he exactly needs.

Personal instruction can be far worse than video instruction.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Problem is, that is an opinion and he apparently disagrees or he would have asked for information on an instructor.

This isn't some young kid with no experience. This is a guy who already has combat experience in one of the U.S.'s deadliest wars. I would think that he has by far more experience in understanding what he exactly needs.

Personal instruction can be far worse than video instruction.
Except that if he knew what he needed, he wouldn't be here asking.

He has shared nothing with us regarding his background, other than he is a veteran of the Vietnam conflict, and that he is disabled. We know nothing of the quantity nor type of combat (if any) that he experienced. That's not my business and I won't ask him; he can chose to share that information or not.

He is asking about instruction. The truth is, video instruction is junk, and I'm willing to share that truth with him. He can take or leave that advice, it's up to him.

When people come here asking about video instruction, I will give him a truthful answer: don't waste your time nor your money on it.

Latest Discussions