Ninjutsu is not a martial art.

dunc

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No. That technique is not correct at any level where you should be showing that to anyone.

You are describing a white belt teaching white belts dilemma.

So the principles are not ok. And I don't see how that would work.

So this is about master Wong. But basically the same idea.
Yeah upon reflection I have to agree with this

dunc

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is the thumb more painful than being elbowed?
Its excruciating and like any small joint lock it forces a reaction
Although you have to contend with the possibility that you just break the joint without getting a more structural response so they work best as augmentors (is that a word?) to a broader, more structural technique
Being elbowed or punched is a different kind of thing in that it is more structural in nature (ie it moves your opponent in its own right) with the added benefit of damage and pain
The trade off is strikes like elbows require more force to be effective, whereas small joint locks dont require much effort

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many such places on the body, but counting on that for compliance is a mistake. They should be used to cause reactions.
I'm always baffled by the habit some people have of responding to things nobody said.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its excruciating and like any small joint lock it forces a reaction
Although you have to contend with the possibility that you just break the joint without getting a more structural response so they work best as augmentors (is that a word?) to a broader, more structural technique
Being elbowed or punched is a different kind of thing in that it is more structural in nature (ie it moves your opponent in its own right) with the added benefit of damage and pain
The trade off is strikes like elbows require more force to be effective, whereas small joint locks dont require much effort

The reason I mentioned elbows is there is a good chance you can roll it over and belt a guy from a hand grab. Even a painful thumb grab.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah upon reflection I have to agree with this
By the way. The extra details of that ramsey dewey upa escape is a straight up game changer. And if you are slick. You can pull off versions of that from side control, half guard and kasegetami.

And at worst opens them up to try other escapes.

So that good upa concept is self defence gold.

Kasegetami escape.

Last edited:

dunc

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The reason I mentioned elbows is there is a good chance you can roll it over and belt a guy from a hand grab. Even a painful thumb grab.

Yeah I think after the turn over this &/or standing are my "go tos" - I like to use a post (eg amassa pao choke or no gi alternatives) when I stand as it keeps them busy and I find it works better against bigger folk (just got to defend arm bars which is straightforward)
FWIW I don't find the groin to be a viable target until you have opened guard and got standing, you also have to control the legs to prevent up kicks when doing this