Ninjutsu contradictions

Ebrahim Mosaval

White Belt
Reaction score
Aren't you clever? You just answered your own question. No need for a book report after all.

For your information I am a Bio-Medical engineer and this happens to be one of the subjects I have had to do extensive research on. The bit on reading was meant for you.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi
Im curious as to what you teach your students and what you learned originally
Thanks

So, are you going to answer Dunc's question, or will you try and be mysterious and evasive some more?

I teach my students what I have understood from what I was taught. This is not an accurate transfer of knowledge. I accept that what i was taught may have taken the same form. So I also encourage them to have many teachers and find their own paths.

Well, I guess that answers my question at least! :)

Ebrahim Mosaval

White Belt
Reaction score
The origins are irrelevant. (Although I am curious as to what you consider the origins to be...)

The fact is that most can be spread by sharing needles, and acupuncture needles count.

So, legislating hygiene standards to which practitioners must comply is a small part of the fight against these infections.
I do not disagree with implementing the best practice standards. What I disagree with is the packaging of ancient practices as commodities for sale at the canning factories aka universities. Why should I seek the recognition and acknowledgement from an institution on a subject that is inherent in my culture.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
For your information I am a Bio-Medical engineer and this happens to be one of the subjects I have had to do extensive research on. The bit on reading was meant for you.
I heard somewhere that you're a biomedical engineer. Do you specialize in stds?

I do not disagree with implementing the best practice standards. What I disagree with is the packaging of ancient practices as commodities for sale at the canning factories aka universities. Why should I seek the recognition and acknowledgement from an institution on a subject that is inherent in my culture.
From which canning factory did you get your engineering degree?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,
It might behoove one and all to remember that MartialTalk is the Friendly martial arts community...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you think it’s genetic knowledge? Or are you aware it requires training? If the latter, why not use universities to deliver that training?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you think it’s genetic knowledge? Or are you aware it requires training? If the latter, why not use universities to deliver that training?

Ironically ninjitsu requires you to understand the culture to understand the art.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate?
I’m betting this is drop bear making a little snark regarding past lectures from Chris Parker on the subject of people commenting on traditional Japanese arts without understanding the cultural context. Just a guess.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Traditional Japanese martial arts are, well, traditional and Japanese
So naturally there is a heavy Japanese context

But.....

The underlying principles and essence are, I believe, global in nature and TBH I feel that too many people hide behind the cultural and historical context as that's unquantifiable. It can also give folk a point of differentiation when selling their wares to westerners which creates an unhealthy dynamic I think

I know several experts in all things Japanese, who in the eyes of the Japanese just don't get it for example

It's also clear that there is a big gap in being able to understand and articulate the nuances of traditional Japanese martial arts and being able to fight - which is inherently at odds with the tradition....

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m betting this is drop bear making a little snark regarding past lectures from Chris Parker on the subject of people commenting on traditional Japanese arts without understanding the cultural context. Just a guess.
That was my guess - just wanted to be sure before I replied.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traditional Japanese martial arts are, well, traditional and Japanese
So naturally there is a heavy Japanese context
That really depends largely how we define "traditional". Most in my primary art would refer to it as a traditional Japanese art (though Koryu folks would definitely not), and there's only a smattering of Japanese context evident. Other Japanese-originated arts have more, while some have even less.

But.....

The underlying principles and essence are, I believe, global in nature and TBH I feel that too many people hide behind the cultural and historical context as that's unquantifiable. It can also give folk a point of differentiation when selling their wares to westerners which creates an unhealthy dynamic I think

I know several experts in all things Japanese, who in the eyes of the Japanese just don't get it for example

It's also clear that there is a big gap in being able to understand and articulate the nuances of traditional Japanese martial arts and being able to fight - which is inherently at odds with the tradition....
Agree entirely. It's possible to learn (and teach) arts of Japanese origin (traditional or otherwise) without really understanding Japanese culture. And vice-versa.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Pretty much.

Latest Discussions