For Bignick- Pictures of my Katana

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is, per Big Nick's Request some pictures of my Katana.

http://user.mc.net/~tknopnk/katana/

Its a custom sword, made for me by Liveblade. Most of the Fittings, like the Tsuba, fuchi, koshira etc... were purchased from AOI in Japan after almost a month of thought as to a theme for the sword. I requested a Grey silk Tsuka-ito, which was not availible to them, so they had the Tsuka-ito dyed to match my specifications.

The blade is folded steel, with a traditional yakiba from clay tempering.

Now... if only I knew how to USE it. :D

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thanks for posting them...that is a sweet looking sword.......

nothing flashy or really eye-catching...a simple elegance...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your katana is really awesome, Technopunk. Really nice choice-the crane and the artwork is done very nice, good designwork throughout. Thanks for sharing all the details, haven't seen one close up. TW

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As Wayne Campbell once said... "Smergen!"

That is a weapon I'd be honored to be cut with. Nice one techno. :asian:

R

Ronald R. Harbers

Is your sword for training or is it a live sword? Very nice.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ronald R. Harbers said:
Is your sword for training or is it a live sword? Very nice.
Its a "live" sword.

Thanks for all the compliments. The guys at Liveblade were more than helpful with getting it made. I'd reccomend them to anyone who asked.

R

raedyn

I'm not at all into weapons, but even I can appreciate the beauty of that.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice blade,TP. I love the crane motif. Beautiful ito as well. I have to admit I'm surprised someone would drop the bills on a sword like that without training,but it is a work of art regardless. Hopefully you'll get some good instruction! *cough*Pitchford*cough* :)

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paul B said:
Nice blade,TP. I love the crane motif. Beautiful ito as well. I have to admit I'm surprised someone would drop the bills on a sword like that without training,but it is a work of art regardless. Hopefully you'll get some good instruction! *cough*Pitchford*cough* :)
Well... I have SOME sword training... the Bujinkan has quite a bit of sword in it, I just don't have a lot of experience with it. A few classes and some seminars, which is why I am looking elsewhere for some sword training.

I did check out Mr. Pitchford's info at the Cultural centers website, and I very well may email him.

Also, as far as dropping the bills as it were... Ive wanted a "real" sword, ever since I got my first taste with my United Cutlery Ninja-to back in the late 80's... so when I made a small killing selling all the stock I purchased when I used to manage "Hot Topic" I used a good portion of it to buy this. Boyhood dream fulfiled as it were.

:D

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Charles Mahan said:
How tight is the wrap? It appears to have slipped down a little at the kashira.
Slightly, yes. It moves just a hair right there... Its tight enough that I am having a hard time moving it much, however.

Thats a pretty tight closeup, so it looks like a bigger gap than it is in reality.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Swords are never "pretty"!!:jedi1:

Just kidding, Iam envious great looking blade (pretty sword, gollum, gollum)
T-