Ninjutsu and self-defence

Johnnie Soda

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm interested in learning a practical art that would be good in self-defense situations. As a kid, I did Tae kwon do for almost a decade, but it wasn't what I was looking for (too sporty, not really practical for defense.) I wrestled in high school, and have been doing some Jujutsu as well, but want to learn things practical in more situations (on the ground Jujutsu's great, but I want something more encompassing.) I've been looking around, and ninjutsu came up. Would Ninjutsu teach me enough practical things to be a competent self defender? Also, I was wondering if, in terms of how well it would prepare you for self defense, there was a significant difference in the styles. Input from anyone who's either trained under multiple styles or has any positive or negative views on self defense applications of Bujinkan, Genbukan or Jinenkan would be greatly appreciated.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm interested in learning a practical art that would be good in self-defense situations. As a kid, I did Tae kwon do for almost a decade, but it wasn't what I was looking for (too sporty, not really practical for defense.) I wrestled in high school, and have been doing some Jujutsu as well, but want to learn things practical in more situations (on the ground Jujutsu's great, but I want something more encompassing.) I've been looking around, and ninjutsu came up. Would Ninjutsu teach me enough practical things to be a competent self defender? Also, I was wondering if, in terms of how well it would prepare you for self defense, there was a significant difference in the styles. Input from anyone who's either trained under multiple styles or has any positive or negative views on self defense applications of Bujinkan, Genbukan or Jinenkan would be greatly appreciated.

I think if you are interested that you should find a local dojo and go and check them out. Yes, Budo Taijutsu can be extremely effective and lots of people who need these skills whether law enforcement, military, corrections, security or civilian are training in this system.
icon6.gif
Good luck.
icon14.gif

OP
J

Johnnie Soda

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I found two dojos near myself and am probably going to check both out.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enroll with self defense as your primary goal, and you'll walk away disappointed. Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is primarily about just that - learning Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

OP
J

Johnnie Soda

White Belt
Reaction score
Enroll with self defense as your primary goal, and you'll walk away disappointed. Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is primarily about just that - learning Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

Thanks for your advice, but I don't think that'll be an issue. I realize that my post made it sound like that was my primary goal, but really there are many more goals I have that I think it'll support. I was just wondering if it was an art that would have real applications, as opposed to something like Tae Kwon Do, which is more sport oriented, where I wouldn't want to use many techniques in anything but a specific competition.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, but I don't think that'll be an issue. I realize that my post made it sound like that was my primary goal, but really there are many more goals I have that I think it'll support. I was just wondering if it was an art that would have real applications, as opposed to something like Tae Kwon Do, which is more sport oriented, where I wouldn't want to use many techniques in anything but a specific competition.
You've got a bit of a blind spot there...

Look around, and you can find a school/dojo/kwan/gym of almost any style that is largely sport oriented. That doesn't mean that the STYLE itself is really sport oriented; I've seen Tae Kwon Do as taught to the South Korean military, and it's vastly different than what you see in most of the TKD schools in my area -- but there are a few exceptions. The same statement can be made about most traditional martial arts.

If self defense & application is your goal -- that's how you have to practice. The same way that if you want to win trophies at tournaments, you have to practice to play that game.

My understanding of Bujinkan training is that it can be very effectively used, and tends toward more realistic/functional practice than many commercial schools. But a lot still comes down to the individual student, teacher and class...

OP
J

Johnnie Soda

White Belt
Reaction score
You've got a bit of a blind spot there...

Look around, and you can find a school/dojo/kwan/gym of almost any style that is largely sport oriented. That doesn't mean that the STYLE itself is really sport oriented; I've seen Tae Kwon Do as taught to the South Korean military, and it's vastly different than what you see in most of the TKD schools in my area -- but there are a few exceptions. The same statement can be made about most traditional martial arts.

If self defense & application is your goal -- that's how you have to practice. The same way that if you want to win trophies at tournaments, you have to practice to play that game.

My understanding of Bujinkan training is that it can be very effectively used, and tends toward more realistic/functional practice than many commercial schools. But a lot still comes down to the individual student, teacher and class...

You're right, of course. I only ever trained under two related teachers, so.. I guess I've got kind of a limited view on certain things.

Latest Discussions