Nike-do (aka running)

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As with anything you have to consider your personal physiology. It's a balance between microfractures that increase your bone density and joint erosion from the friction which can lead to arthritis and tendonitis and other nasty thorns. Where to find that ideal balance is different with everyone but you should consider the length of your legs and the leverage required for each step. Swimming, on the other hand, is easy on the joints but if done exclusively without proper moderation you'll lose bone density. It is essential for everyone to be able to run if they need to (and can) and it should be practiced but cautiously. There are many aspects to fitness. I'd say you'd want to up your calcium and proteine intake. I like to warm up with a light run, once I feel warmed up I sprint until I'm winded and go back to a light run to catch my breath. Once I'm exhausted is when I like to train. That works for me but may not work for another. I run every second day in order to give my bones a break to recover.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I run as a compliment to training. I run both for distance and speed (separately). Distance running is great but doesn't do as much for helping with the kind of burst energy you need in a fight or match. For that I do wind sprints or circuit train.

OP
D

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Iceman, you mentioned you were at 30% lung capacity, and later improved to 90%... May I know what that means? What's 100%?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman, you mentioned you were at 30% lung capacity, and later improved to 90%... May I know what that means? What's 100%?

My understanding, is that most people with good lung capacity have the abilty to fill their lungs higher than 80% of capacity. (ie. they use their lungs efficiently). I think (I may be wrong) that elite athletes are the few that have max capacity.

30% was "dangerously low" according to my doctor. He didn't know how I was able to talk normally at that time. (I wasn't even having an asthma attack at the time). He told me that if I wasn't 19 years old & in relatively good shape, he'd put me on oxygen.

I was "self-prescribing" Bronkaid & Primatine (those over the counter "restores breathing in 15 seconds" sprays) & the doctor was mad. The way they work so fast is by speeding up the heart even quicker than Albuterol does. He said, "even at your age, you run a huge risk of dying of a heart attack taking that stuff!" Since then, I take regular meds for it.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I run several times a week, and we incorporate it in our training group. It's a great source of health as well a definate defense mechanism "NIKEJITSU" or Nike-do as you refer to it is by far one of the better self defense tools. If you can run distance your stamina in a fight will be better. just my opinion

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As I sat in a Chinese restaraunt yesterday in Chinatown this came to me

Nike-do could be called Pao Dao (running way or way of running) in Chinese.

Hmmm I think I just came up with a WHOLE new CMA style that I can be GRANDMASTER :mst: of. :EG: :D

OP
D

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
You'll have professional runners challenging you to "duels" then, hehe. And you really might be unable to run away from those.

Belt system could be composed of progressively heavier weight belts. You'd really earn your rank in that one, lol.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You'll have professional runners challenging you to "duels" then, hehe. And you really might be unable to run away from those.

Belt system could be composed of progressively heavier weight belts. You'd really earn your rank in that one, lol.

CMA = no belts

But heavy iron rings hung on the arms might work, particularly for those professional runners that challenge me :D

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I hear of Nike-Do (or Pao Dao..I like that) I think of running away from a fight or to safety. I think that running is great exercise and will help with your overall general fitness but here are some other things to consider also.

1) Practice sprinting. If you are running from someone it is not going to be at a pace to keep going. You need to improve your anaerobic capacity for running. Try doing 400's and 800's, The 800 (1/2 mile) is one of the hardest races because it is almost a sprint but not quite.

2) Practice running safely and tactically. If you are going to run for safety how are you going to do that? Is it going to be straight line from point A to point B, or are you going to zig-zag and be going over obstacles like fences, trash etc. I think agility drills would be very beneficial as part of your training as well.

As "Still Learning" pointed out, long runs can be GREAT for mental training as well. Not only thinking through things but also the mental fortitude to not quit when it would be so easy to do so.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
For what it's worth, our black belt class runs as part of the class (intermittently). Also, timed running is part of the fitness part of our testing at black belt and above.