Nike-do (aka running)

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just curious, and hopefully this isn't a stupid question.

I'd like to know if anyone runs regularly, whether as part of MA training or not.

I'm sure it indeed is a good booster for overall fitness, as well as a very reliable "art" for ending/avoiding street confrontations, :lol: but I've noticed, for my place, at least, we've never run, whether as part of a warm-up or as an exercise in itself.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I trained in Lau Gar, we'd spend up to an hour running circuits of the dojo, interspersed with other stretching and strengthing excercises.

Back then, I also used to run three miles a day (two in the morning and one at night) as well as cycle twenty five miles a day (minimum) and swimming/weight training/sparring practice on rotating days.

I've been considering working back into doing some running again of late to try and combat the middle-aged spread that's engulfing me but I suspect I may have to start off with regular walking first and see how the body reacts :D.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't run for health I walk for it. At times I practice certain walking drills
1. Sinking the weight down and taking big long steps 2. Having the feet close and taking very small steps. 3. walking at 45* shuffle.
I try to get as creative as I can with walking and for me walking falls into 2 catagories 1. for health and 2. for martial arts. martial arts walking would be working on foot work in your particular art.
Thats just my thoughts

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first Sensei had running as a part of regular classes, but then our classes were held at my old prep school so we just had to leave the training room and go down to the football field.

I do run on my own every morning as part of my independent training. I do about 3 and a half to 4 miles (depending on if I wanna tackle a hill that day or not).

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I'd like to know if anyone runs regularly, whether as part of MA training or not.

Not a stupid question at all. I do a fair bit of running both on my own, and at my school. The fighters go for runs every afternoon. Anyone is welcome to run if they feel like it. I also do my own runs in the morning, varies at different times of the year. Between 2-4 times per week. I try mix it up as much as possible. Long distance, mid distance, short distance, HIIT, sprint drills etc etc.

I love it. Good fitness booster, that's for sure!!!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
We regularly run for warm up. I occationally run outside class but mostly walk evrywhere. I don`t take the bus unless it is an hour or so to walk.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm sure it indeed is a good booster for overall fitness, as well as a very reliable "art" for ending/avoiding street confrontations, :lol: but I've noticed, for my place, at least, we've never run, whether as part of a warm-up or as an exercise in itself.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

I do run, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I will admit though that it is a good way to get in shape and build up your cardio. Of course, there are other methods that are less impact and still give an awesome cardio workout. Most of the running I do is on a treadmill. I avoid the boring feel to it, I usually try to mix it up a little. Ex: Walk/run for 1 min each. for a certain amount of time. Slow jog/sprint. Set the machine for a certain incline and run.

I usually pick something different each time. Its always a good thing to challenge the body. :)

Mike

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I run and do other forms of cardio all the time. However, running is not part of my Tae Kwon Do workout; it complements it but is a separate entity.
I have entered several 10 K's and Half Marathons, winning everything from medals to pies!
I've also noticed, I tend to be in better shape than other Master Instructors my age and older.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

running in moderation is good, over do it, like the guy I use to work with that ran in 2 knee braces due to the 3 operations he has had per knee due to running is bad.

I use to run but a back injury several years ago stopped that, I wish I still could, but I am now using a treadmill and stationary bike

OP
D

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
I run mainly to keep myself fit enough to pass that part of physical fitness tests, as well as to ensure I don't suffer that much during military service (it's compulsory in my country).

Aside from that... well, my knees are how they are now thanks to running in improper shoes.
Apparently I have low arches, according to the sports doctor I saw, even though the wet sole test shows I have normal arches, so the poor alignment caused pain and (I think) poor tracking of my kneecap.

It's been almost a year after physiotherapy (prescribed gym training under supervision). Don't hurt anymore, though they still click like mad.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have recently started running to complement my MA training. I am doing wind sprints for ~20 minutes 2-3 times a week to increase my cardio fitness and endurance.

In class, we'll do some light running occasionally to warm up, though most of the time it's closer to a fast walk.

I'm not the fastest runner around, and if I haven't outrun whoever's chasing me in the first mile, I'm gonna turn and fight ;) No need (for me) for the marathoner's stamina.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am currently training in WTF Taekwondo and we start each class with a 1 mile run, and then we do an insane amount of fast-paced line drills. Coincidently, this is where we lose most of our new students :lol:. Back when I trained in shotokan, we did very little running, if any at all. However, we more than made up for it when it was time for kata practice - I still have nightmares about hearing my sensei say "again" in broken english after having worked through the entire heian and tekki sets at full speed with no breaks in between :lfao:.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Running is one of best ways to stay in shape. A big benifit is the thinking time while running....this builds up a stronger mind.

Those who run daily...knows the body needs this form of medicine!

Running skills...is really a martial art skill? ..cause everyone is told it is better to flee (run) than fight? ...Right?

IF you don't run often...many of us will notice we cannot run far?

If running is not a part of your routine? ....than you are missing something that will help you in the long "RUN".

The last Kona coffee marthon in Kona had a 69 year Japanese lady who finish...how many of us can run that far in one day?

When you hit the fifties and up....running really keeps you going more...!

Aloha ( running is one step at a time....best to run one way..that way you have the make the same trip back....works for us)

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Our school runs everynow and then, not often enough to say its part of our training though.

However that does not stop me myself from running daily, it's a great way to start my morning and get me ready fro school...and no matter what people say...runners high is the most amazing feeling in the world

I love to run in the mountains, I run as fast and as hard as I can just to get runners high...then I get to the peak of the mountain and just stare, its the most amazing thing ever.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like to include some light running as a warm-up, especially for AM classes or when it's cold outside. Just something to get everyone sweating good. Sometimes we'll do sprinting drills, especially if the class energy is a little low.

Personally, I took up running after I tore my ACL. Sounds crazy but it was the one thing I could do to build up my legs after the surgery. My PT said I needed to strengthen my hamstrings/quads and that it had to be straight ahead movement, so TKD was pretty much out for a while. That was 10 years ago and I love running now. It took about 2 years to really build a good cardio base. Did a few half marathons and 10Ks but mostly I like to run because I enjoy it (yep, runner's high is amazing) and it keeps me in good overall condition.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I run regularly, but not as a part of class.

When I first began my training, my instructor would occassionally take us out running on Saturdays. I never appreciated it then...probably because I didn't have good running shoes & had bad asthma.

Now, I'm properly medicated & have the right shoes for me. I love it, now.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Iceman, have you found that running has helped with your Asthma?

I was the kid who had to sit out of gym class because of asthma. When I first started running, 7 minutes of continuous running was my max and then I had to walk to recover. Now I can easily go 90 minutes of straight running with any type of medication. When I had surgery last year, the anesthesiologist pronounced me "asthma free". Not sure it's all due to running, but my lung capacity has made huge improvements in the last ten years.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman, have you found that running has helped with your Asthma?

I was the kid who had to sit out of gym class because of asthma. When I first started running, 7 minutes of continuous running was my max and then I had to walk to recover. Now I can easily go 90 minutes of straight running with any type of medication. When I had surgery last year, the anesthesiologist pronounced me "asthma free". Not sure it's all due to running, but my lung capacity has made huge improvements in the last ten years.

Running has helped my asthma a great deal. There was a time (20 years ago) when I had 30% lung capacity during a test at my doctor's office. It was during a particularly bad attack. I started running about a year later, & now I'm at about 90% capacity! Moving from Chicago to Los Angeles helped, too. Now I just have to deal with other alergy syptoms. But, yes! it's a lot better:supcool:

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There was a time (20 years ago) when I had 30% lung capacity during a test at my doctor's office. It was during a particularly bad attack. I started running about a year later, & now I'm at about 90% capacity!

Wow, that's a terrific improvement! I've always wondered if it was a fluke that I improved - good to know that it's not.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, that's a terrific improvement! I've always wondered if it was a fluke that I improved - good to know that it's not.

Even tho I've had asthma for 36 years, I don't know as much about it as I 'd like. When I was a kid, I was told by my doctor that I might grow out of it by about 18 or so. So, I stopped taking the meds at 19-20. Bad idea! That's when I started seriously following up with the doctor & swimming & running.

Nope, it's not a fluke...you work at it & listen to the doctor & it will improve.

Latest Discussions