Training to soreness?

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'd just like to find out whether it's better to train to a degree where you're always sore the next day, or not.

Personally I don't feel satisfied until I'm aching all over and unable to walk the day after training.

I've read that delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) could be caused from damage to the muscles, or from muscle growth.

What are your views?

Thanks.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always feel like I've trained harder if I'm sore the next day. This is the first I've heard of DOMS, but the following statement seems to differentiate it from the type of muscle soreness that promotes growth, particularly the swelling. Also, I would guess the pain from DOMS differs from the soreness we're used to from working the muscle.

DOMS typically causes stiffness, swelling, strength loss, and pain.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I train hard I'm usually a little sore the next day and really sore the second day, but I don't remember the last time I woke up and didn't have pain somewhere ;). It's the price I pay for doing what I love.

Sanchin-J

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is almost a double edged question as it can be beneficial and it can be harmful based upon just how far you push yourself. A little discomfort the day after training isn't a bad thing in most cases, but you have to be careful not to over do your training and have to allow your body time to recuperate and heal. It boils down to knowing your limitations and being careful not to overstep them.

My workouts (when I actually have time to stick to them) consist of cycling through a basic training regiment of technique improvement which focuses on fluidity and precision then the next day power training which focuses again on precision, the body mechanics that lead to power in striking and breathing technique. Every 2 days or so, I take a day off to allow my body to recuperate and it all gives me a good excuse to goof off with my kids and get in trouble with my wife hehe.

It is absolutely essential that you take the time to prepare for training however, knowing and using good stretching methods and making sure your body is taken care of, well hydrated, and ready for the endeavor. Training however is situational, if your training for a tournament, you may want to push yourself a little harder, in those cases your best bet is to talk to your instructor and to again discover and keep in mind the limitations of your own body.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One thing for sure...those who push themselves harder than anyone else....seems to gain the most improvement.

Soreness and pain is a part of the gain. One must be reasonable about this too!

Runners who hit the "Walls" can quit or keep running thru it....CHOICES...

When the pain hits...sometimes it is a mind game to keep going too!

Always be smart about what your body is telling you too!

Aloha (resting in peace is also a good training plan! ..after a solid work out..)

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Decker,
If you feel sore after every workout then you are pushing yourself too hard. When you're sore, you need to give yourself at least a day to recover. Working your muscles hard everyday can be detrimental. When you workout, then workout hard, but you must recover. It's a give and take thing. Even power lifters work different muscles on certain days to recover. I work hard 3 days a week and give my body it's time to rest. I'm not idle for the other days, but I'm not as tough on the body as I am for the 3 on days. Instead of striking or grappling, I'm doing cardio. You must be smart and listen to the body. It knows more then you think.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I train hard I'm usually a little sore the next day and really sore the second day, but I don't remember the last time I woke up and didn't have pain somewhere ;). It's the price I pay for doing what I love.

I agree. lol always a little worse the second day

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes when a person is already physically well trained with certain activities, soreness does not occur. That does not necessarily mean a lack of soreness is a bad thing. Soreness typically happens when a group of muscles are not used to doing a certain activity, or for such an extended length of time.

Do pay attention to the difference between being sore and being injured.

- Ceicei

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes when a person is already physically well trained with certain activities, soreness does not occur. That does not necessarily mean a lack of soreness is a bad thing. Soreness typically happens when a group of muscles are not used to doing a certain activity, or for such an extended length of time.

Do pay attention to the difference between being sore and being injured.

- Ceicei

Good points Ceicei. Here's a story from my first SPM class. I had been training Sil Lum Kung for about 2 years, and in addition to that, exercising for an hour 5 days a week, both cardio and strength, so suffice to say when I started SPM I was in pretty good shape. I went through the class without problem. I was told I'd be sore, I was like, meh, I doubt it. The next day I was fine. I thought, HA! I knew it. Day two...and OMG, I hurt like hell.

Now I only get sore after training when I fail to practice or exercise in between classes, which unfortunately, due to RL circumstances, is becoming more frequent.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

What he said...

Latest Discussions