night time stealth should be study or not

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, who is training you in this 'stealth'?

Running around someones yard in the dark dressed in black isn't exactly a smart thing to do. If you did that in my yard you might go 'boom'.

Right.

Billy, who taught you stealth? That's going to be the most important question.

Oh, and when it comes to the Shoninki, if you're going of Antony Cummins version, don't trust it. He doesn't understand what was meant, and it was written too vaguely for him to be able to correctly write anything based on it. That has been shown numerous times.

Make it 3 people asking who's teaching you "Stealth".

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I do not mean to offend but reading your posts is at times painful and I know this has been said to you before but is you write in proper English or at least close to it you may have fewer problems and might actually be able to contribute something and not get so much resistance to the things you post. I also have read where you have stated you are writing properly.

You said this

you wasn't there so when training have be realistic on some training

What I think you meant was this

You were not there and when you train you have to train in realistic conditions

You then said this

WC- Inn time is come time you have to survival not everything dime an wrong either survival or not night time stealth is part of that survival if that blinding powder is a tool use it if dont work for why train

I have to admit I don’t get most of this one but I think this is what you are trying to say

WC – In time you will come to a time where you have to use your survival training and it needs to be right and stealth training is part of survival training and blinding powder is a tool of that training and if it does not work for you why train at all.

Do you see the difference?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Xue, thanks for the translation.

Honestly ,I think this is more of the fantasy martial arts type thing. I just don't see a need now or even in an apocolypse to be sneaking around. It would get me shot quicker than anything other than raw aggression. I suppose if you have some reason to be sneaking around then that would be different. I guess I prefer to be effecient in my training...you know, training things that I would have a higher liklihood to use.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Billy's defence, Ninjutsu is basically an art of espionage when you get down to it, and there is quite a bit of "stealth" teachings involved (from Billy's posts, his videos, his history, and more, I don't think he's been exposed to any of the actual teachings, but that's another issue), so from a historical point of view, there's a reason to train them. There's even a case to be made for a self defence reason to train them, when it comes down to it as well. Do I think that that means you should be sneaking around at night? No, not in the slightest. But to say there's no reason to train it, well, honestly, there is. Just not fantasy uber-ninja reasons.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chris, I see your point. If it is to learn and pass on the historical espionage skills, that's a good reason. It is just difficult for me to see a grown man sneaking around his nieghborhood in black pajamas as being someone doing something productive, or training to keep historical skills alive. It just smacks of fantasy and in that case, worthless.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, maybe Billy can invite his instructor to join us and explain their teaching methodology's.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chris, I see your point. If it is to learn and pass on the historical espionage skills, that's a good reason. It is just difficult for me to see a grown man sneaking around his nieghborhood in black pajamas as being someone doing something productive, or training to keep historical skills alive. It just smacks of fantasy and in that case, worthless.

Yep, agreed on that point. A couple of pertinent stories to highlight the difference, then.

A friend of mine knows a woman who was the victim of an assault. She managed to get away, and ran down the street to escape. Down the middle of it. Where there was no cover, and she was easily seen in the street lights. The guy caught up to her pretty easily, as all he had to do was look in both directions, and there she was. Some basic training in the ideas of stealth would have potentially saved her there by allowing her a much safer escape.

Near my home there is a, shall we say, less than authentic "ninja" group, who have been known to run around the local park in full gear (hood and all...), "practicing stealth". They are basically a joke, and people gather around to laugh at them.

One of these is valid, one of these is fantasy garbage. Which Billy fits into is where we get into issues....

OP
blackswordshinobi

blackswordshinobi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
no i don't you basicly said the same thing i did i am most to point when i type or write sorry if you hard time i can read your stuff or type and my own!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Years ago I've a friend who went into study of the art of the ninja and within 6 months he gotten his black belt. He also gotten the full uniform, swords, stars, claw gloves and other stuff that he shouldn't be telling me about, but because I was such a trusted friend... :rolleyes:
We went out on his night stealth training, him disappearing into the woods and I giving him time enough for me to smoke a cigarette (100's even) and then go looking for him. After the agreed hour had passed I went on back to the truck to wait. He showed up a minute later. According to him, he was close enough to touch me a number of times and had even walked behind me for a good 50 feet before I turned around (of course not seeing him there)... doesn't mean I didn't hear him, :wink2: Being pitch black (moonless) night and denied a light for myself ... yeah of course someone dressed all in black would be able to hide without much difficulty in the shadows of a deep dark blackened wooded area.

Being stealthy isn't that difficult. Elite military forces and snipers are trained to do the same thing... and in broad day-light no less for some missions. In my much younger days I had a very brief career as a thief, which also required some stealthy movements and "blending" into the shadows as it were... I was able to pull it off without any training, just common sense.

Hollywood has definitely magnified the Ninja legend. It's sad really.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Years ago I've a friend who went into study of the art of the ninja and within 6 months he gotten his black belt. He also gotten the full uniform, swords, stars, claw gloves and other stuff that he shouldn't be telling me about, but because I was such a trusted friend... :rolleyes:
We went out on his night stealth training, him disappearing into the woods and I giving him time enough for me to smoke a cigarette (100's even) and then go looking for him. After the agreed hour had passed I went on back to the truck to wait. He showed up a minute later. According to him, he was close enough to touch me a number of times and had even walked behind me for a good 50 feet before I turned around (of course not seeing him there)... doesn't mean I didn't hear him, :wink2: Being pitch black (moonless) night and denied a light for myself ... yeah of course someone dressed all in black would be able to hide without much difficulty in the shadows of a deep dark blackened wooded area.

Being stealthy isn't that difficult. Elite military forces and snipers are trained to do the same thing... and in broad day-light no less for some missions. In my much younger days I had a very brief career as a thief, which also required some stealthy movements and "blending" into the shadows as it were... I was able to pull it off without any training, just common sense.

Hollywood has definitely magnified the Ninja legend. It's sad really.
I can picture you leaning against a tree with your cigarette as he "disappears" and you thinking, yeah whatever dude, see you sometime, I am off home, and him shouting into an empty woodland some hours later: I am ready, come find me! lols.. :D

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Never know when your wife might catch you coming home late from the strip clubs. Have to be prepared.

Anyways these threads have literally brought me to tears of laughter. If anything we can thank Billy for bringing Joy and Laughter.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never know when your wife might catch you coming home late from the strip clubs. Have to be prepared.

Anyways these threads have literally brought me to tears of laughter. If anything we can thank Billy for bringing Joy and Laughter.

No amount of stealth knowledge would protect me if I did this. My wife would just know...and then I would need the ability to quit hearing and possibly the ability to dodge thrown objects :)

OP
blackswordshinobi

blackswordshinobi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ability to dodge thrown objects well nothing you might think it weird do it with shuriken have reactsion testing can be fearful but is part the training

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

No amount of stealth knowledge would protect me if I did this. My wife would just know...and then I would need the ability to quit hearing and possibly the ability to dodge thrown objects :)

If my wife caught me with Joy trust me there would be no Laughter. I'd really be working that dodge training...also my cross country running and my hiding in shadows.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
ability to dodge thrown objects well nothing you might think it weird do it with shuriken have reactsion testing can be fearful but is part the training

<sigh> I was cracking a joke.

I know all about skill checks under pressure. There is a difference between making sure what you really know is solid and secure, it is another to mimic things you've seen in Kung Fu and other TV show/movies and believe you are training real martial arts.

I've resisted asking this, but with some of the things you have said, I just have to...Who are you training under? Some of the things I've seen you post make me worry that your instructor does not have your best health in mind.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Was thinking of that wonderful t-shirt that is woodland camouflage theme and in bright yellow letters on the front it says: "HA! Now You Can't See Me!"

bljohnson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a guy in my town who came to my class and asked the same things about stalking in the woods. He even taught a group of his own all about ninjutsu or should I say ninjitsu. My response is again whyyyyy? Look don't go off the deep end and start killing robot samurais in the woods. If you really want to know "stealth" go hunting.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hunting, tracking, both are decent things to know even today. But you don't learn them running around town at night. Hook up with credible teachers, hang out with other credible people and you'll learn some good stuff fast.

bljohnson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree that training with a good instructor is the best way to learn but this guy was not someone who wanted to train. He was one of these people who would rather dream about training than actually do it. He had his ego hurt several times from students who were a much lower rank than he claimed to be. In this area hunting is very common which is why I told him to try it because he told me he liked stalking animals and so on to practice his "stealth". If he is hunting then at least it would not seem so strange trying to sneak up on an animal.

steelnshadow

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree that training with a good instructor is the best way to learn but this guy was not someone who wanted to train. He was one of these people who would rather dream about training than actually do it. He had his ego hurt several times from students who were a much lower rank than he claimed to be.

Its terrible when you are under an instructor like that. I don't blame the students in this case, the intelligent ones move on the dedicated ones seek to find their own knowledge, and that can make it very dangerous. Trust me I would know. For everything a balance has to be achieved.

I agree to all aspects of Ninjutsu training no matter how outdated they may seem. as long as they are done under a qualified instructor who knows what he is doing and most important, that is willing to teach you. (not just get paid)

-------------------------------------------
just giving my 2 cents

Latest Discussions