Newbies Teachin Newbies

ninhito

Orange Belt
Reaction score
okay question do you think its okay for a person who hasnt reached their fifth dan yet to be teaching anyone else ninjutsu...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ninhito said:
okay question do you think its okay for a person who hasnt reached their fifth dan yet to be teaching anyone else ninjutsu...
My Opinion?

Yes, as long as they do so under the guidance and tutalage of a qualified shidoshi.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's odd, you don't often hear people without Bujinkan training experience call people between first and fifth dan newbies...but even at fifth dan you probably wouldn't have been taught very much ninjutsu...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we understand what he meant, no need to argue semantics.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ninhito said:
My opinion (and I know nothing about your discipline or ranking system) is yes.Some people are just natural teachers..If Shidoshi has no problem with them teaching then neither should anyone...

davidg553

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ninhito said:
Then again, there are alot of fifth dan out there who shouldn't be teaching anyone including themselves. Fifth dan is not the end all in terms of skill or teaching ability.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ninhito said:

If they are a member of the shidoshikai and meet with a full instructor on a regular basis, then they are probably ok. If they merely get their first dan and decide they don't need to stinking teachers, there probably will be problems. My first Bujinkan instructor was of the later and I still have got bad habits from what he taught me.

F

firegarden

Related to this subject, does anyone here know anything about Brent Earlewine
Yondan, Shidoshi-Ho of Pittsburg? Namely what Shidoshi is he under the authority of and what is that Shidoshi's experience?

The reason I ask, is that although I am commited to training in another art (Kempo), I have read several of Dr. Hatsumi's books and find him to be very intriguing and inspiring, and I am looking to get a small taste of the Bujinkan system. The guy mentioned above has some very reasonably priced DVD's on Ebay (Bujinkan Essentials, Staff Weapons, 2-disc Kusari Fundu). He also sells what appears to be most of the DVD catalog of Dr. Hatsumi, but the Hatsumi videos are 5X more expensive.

Allow me to bypass the obvious argument that could come up by saying that I am sure that the Hatsumi videos are worth more to the serious student than 5X the price of the Pittsburg Dojo videos, but I am just a casually interested person interested in getting a small glance into the system. I may experiment with trying the techniques out, but my purpose is not to train with these videos.

I greatly appreciate any helpful info you all can offer.

-firegarden

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I dont think anyone would recommend Hatsumi's vids for one who is just curious. Jack Hoban's tapes are good. Hatsumi's tapes are pretty advanced, simply because no one else moves like him. They can really only be learnt from if you have been practicing Bujinkan Budo for a while.

KE

F

firegarden

Shogun, that makes sense to me, although training is not my purpose at this time, I am just curious, as you said, I would think that while the moves of the Soke are undoubtedly very subtle, he is the Soke, so at least I can be guaranteed of seeing authentic technique, even if it is beyond my untrained eye to observe properly.

I am curious, being that you are in Washington, do you know of any good Bujinkan Dojos where I might sit in and observe in Oregon or Southern Washington? That might be knid of interesting as well. I have serached on winjutsu for Dojo's in Oregon, and was a little unsure of the results, I don't want to drive 3 hours to Bend to observe an hour of training that might be a joke, know what I mean?

-firegarden

I thought I should throw in here that in no way am I suggesting that the dojo in Bend is a joke, I just don't know...

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I usually recommend the Yarijutsu and What is Martial Arts videos for people who'd like to see Soke when he's at his coolest.:ultracool

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
No real knowledge in Ninjutsu on my part, my I'd hardly call, say, a 4th dan a newbie. We have 1st dan as a requirement for instruction. Why the need for 5th?

And, as most people said, just as important as knowledge is teaching ability.

~ Loki

M

MisterMike

I think the 5th is required to issue rank. You can probably host a training group at 1st if you are under a shidoshi and have permission.

F

firegarden

As I understand it, in BBT you must be under the supervison of a Shidoshi (min 5th Dan) to teach, and your title is Shidoshi-Ho (I'm not sure at what rank you are elligible for Shidoshi-Ho), thus the question I posed earlier.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In some styles of karate, a 3rd dan is standard to be an instructor and to be called 'sensei' (or so I understand it).

The dan system dates from only about 120 years ago--is there a traditional way to signify an instructor of ninjutsu (e.g., menkyo)?

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
In some styles of karate, a 3rd dan is standard to be an instructor and to be called 'sensei' (or so I understand it)
Hatsumi sensei isn't teaching modern karate; thus it's a little bit different.

arnisador said:
The dan system dates from only about 120 years ago--is there a traditional way to signify an instructor of ninjutsu (e.g., menkyo)?
The kyu/dan system existed in Japan earlier than 120 years ago, and was first used at Buddhist temples to organize a curriculum of instruction. Later it was adopted by the Edo police for organizing a kendo curriculum, and then later was popularized by Kano applying it to Judo. Today, the kyu/dan system is used for everything from giving licenses in modern kendo or tea ceremony to assesing proficiency in languages such as English and Chinese.

As far as a traditional way of signifying an "instructor" like we have today, my research hasn't really turned anything up. What I have found though, is that various menkyo licenses (shoden, chuden, okuden, gokui, menkyo kaiden) were given as certification of training; paintings, tsuba etc made by the teacher were given as "evidence of relationship/status" (which in some cases held more weight than menkyo kaiden) and the teacher giving weapons or tools specific to the ryu to the student meant that the student was "ready".

OP
N

ninhito

Orange Belt
Reaction score
o and question what is the art of using two swords...? it's part of my arguement...

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
firegarden said:
As I understand it, in BBT you must be under the supervison of a Shidoshi (min 5th Dan) to teach, and your title is Shidoshi-Ho (I'm not sure at what rank you are elligible for Shidoshi-Ho), thus the question I posed earlier.

That's correct. You can be a shidoshi-ho, under the auspices of a shidoshi, at 1st through 4th dan. Once you're at 5th dan, you ain't gotta be nobody's -ho no mo'.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ninhito said:
o and question what is the art of using two swords...? it's part of my arguement...

What arguement???? Can you tell us what is going on?

Latest Discussions