An "extreme" newbie.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In this case I just tried to post an overview that I had sitting on my computer...

Here is another short listing of the history of the Bujinkan :
http://www.ninjutsu.at/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=14&Itemid=15

And yet another
http://www.bujinkanlillisdojo.com/

Gyokko ryu is considered to be the oldest of the ryu-ha within the Bujinkan.

Once again the history of the Bujinkan is not my forte so to speak. (though I try a little)

Hi Brian---it occurred to me that all of the material you posted in that `overview' note, plus these references, would make a great sticky in the Ninjutsu forum. A lot of times, I've noticed, people have to reinvent one or another wheel on various fora because the same (often very good) questions keep popping up, and it would be nice to have some fixed, permanent, compact reference material that inquiring minds could consult before asking those questions yet again... it just would save wear and tear on people's keyboard (as well as their patience and their sanity) to have that stuff `out there' at the start. I think this material of yours definitely merits that treatment...

J-Cop

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and to Ninpo and would like to extend warm regards. I am a Bujinkan student and had some questions about Genbukan. The biggest question is what are the differences? I've done a little research and from what I've found, it seems that the Bujinkan under Hatsumi Sensei could be compared to Harvard, and the Genbukan under Tanemura Sensei could be compared to Yale. Or, as we would say here in Texas, Hatsumi sensei is a Longhorn, and Tanemura sensei is an Aggie!
It seems that both are excellent schools with excellent teachers that simply have a different approach to Ninpo. There seems to be a little anymosity between the students of the two schools, just like Longhorns and Aggies (LOL). But it seems that the only real difference between the two schools is that the Genbukan is more traditional where Bujinkan is more "Liberal" when teaching Ninpo. So, my next question is, am I wrong or are there aspects to Ninpo learned through the Bujinkan that, for what ever reason, cannot be learned by going to Genbukan and vice versa?:asian:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But I will merely reply and say under no part of my first post I said I knew NOTHING about Ninjutsu...

I apologise, I made the assumptions in my post based on the type of questions you asked, the fact that you knew the term "NinjUtsu" and "NinjItsu" but not Bujinkan, or Budo Taijutsu, etc... I'm sure you can understand that certain things, such as your own admission that you believed until recently this art was somthing that you couldnt just join a dojo and learn, does tend to make something of an argument for the romanticized notions of the Hollywood ninja myth...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and to Ninpo and would like to extend warm regards. I am a Bujinkan student and had some questions about Genbukan. The biggest question is what are the differences? I've done a little research and from what I've found, it seems that the Bujinkan under Hatsumi Sensei could be compared to Harvard, and the Genbukan under Tanemura Sensei could be compared to Yale. Or, as we would say here in Texas, Hatsumi sensei is a Longhorn, and Tanemura sensei is an Aggie!
It seems that both are excellent schools with excellent teachers that simply have a different approach to Ninpo. There seems to be a little anymosity between the students of the two schools, just like Longhorns and Aggies (LOL). But it seems that the only real difference between the two schools is that the Genbukan is more traditional where Bujinkan is more "Liberal" when teaching Ninpo. So, my next question is, am I wrong or are there aspects to Ninpo learned through the Bujinkan that, for what ever reason, cannot be learned by going to Genbukan and vice versa?:asian:

Well the feeling of Hatsumi Sensei's budo can only be learned while training with him or with Bujinkan Shihan or Shidoshi that train with him or with instructors that regularly train with people trained by him. Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is traditional and yet there is lots of exploring and learning of various henka within the ryu-ha all while training to achieve nagare. (flow) This is an incredibly broad and beautiful combative martial art.
(I am blessed to be studying it)

Since Hatsumi Sensei taught Tanemura Sensei there is bound to be many similarities and yet I imagine that Tanemura Sensei has put his own mark on what he teaches. (he has also learned from some other teachers)

I truthfully hope that both of them have success, prosperity and health.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Rich,

Take the above as an overview that is close. The best work I have found on the subject is the book written by Paul Richardson, titled : An Introductory History to the Schools of the Bujinkan. This book can be found here : http://www.ninjutsu.com/store/search.php?mode=search
I would recommend anyone who is interested in the history of the Bujinkan to buy it.

Even though I know a little of the history of the Bujinkan it is hard to pin everything down. Don Roley and many other's can give better answers regarding the history of the schools of the Bujinkan than I could. In this case I just tried to post an overview that I had sitting on my computer.

According to Paul Richardson's work above the dates are something like this with the understanding that their were teachers in each of these ryu-ha before these dates.

Togakure Ryu 1110
Shindenfudo Ryu 1113
Gyokko Ryu 1156 - 1159

As to being confused, join the crowd. :erg: I get confused quite often myself..

Here is another short listing of the history of the Bujinkan :
http://www.ninjutsu.at/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=14&Itemid=15

And yet another
http://www.bujinkanlillisdojo.com/

Gyokko ryu is considered to be the oldest of the ryu-ha within the Bujinkan.

Once again the history of the Bujinkan is not my forte so to speak. (though I try a little)

Thanks Brian

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Don no question that is a better way to word it. Training in Japan regularly or training with a senior instructor who goes to Japan regularly to train with Hatsumi Sensei. Every instructor should be trying to stay current with what is taught in Japan as best they can. I do know how it feels to miss a trip and rely on training with other people who have just been to Japan. That can be absolutely fantastic training and can stimulate your learning experience.:asian:
I just want to throw an aside in here...

I don't care what system you're talking about -- if the instructor isn't continueing to train and improve his/her knowledge, I consider that a red flag. I'm priviliged to train under one of the earliest students of the man who introduced my system to the US; he still goes to his teacher. I still go to mine. And the chief instructor still researches material he received from his teachers... then presents that material to us. I gather that Hatsume does this as well. Everyone's training and learning is on-going. That's the sign, in my opinion, of a vibrant and living art.