New USAT rules

Red Menace

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was looking over the new USAT sparring rules to see what changes had been made and I realized that I may not have been as familiar with the rules as I thought. I understand that the changes are mainly in scoring and weight classes. A kick to the head is now three points, a roundhouse to the body is two, and other valid strikes to the body are one.

My questions for those of you more knowledgeable in this area than me are: Has the face (the part of the head not covered by the helmet) always been a valid target? If so, why don't we see more front snap kicks to the face? (I was taught that this was illegal.)

Has it always been illegal to block a kick by raising your knee? I've only done State and Local tournaments but I've been doing this ever since I started sparring 8 or 9 years ago.

Thanks for any info!

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
if USAT follows the WTF rules, ears-forward has always been legal.

raising knee to block is legal too, at least there are no rules to illegalize it. even if someone wanted to debate the legality, u could excuse urself by saying u wanted to kick, and all taekwondo kicks by proper technique chambers, so there's no point illegalizing it. but if u can lift ur knee to block but unable to extend ur lower leg after blocking to attack, u probably can shift away or are already out of range, no point injuring urself.

spinning kicks to the body [eg 360 turning, backthrust] are 2 points, direct kicks are 1 point. 'turning kick' was a mistranslation.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually the new rules do make it illegal to block with the leg. They cant beat Steven Lopez so they are trying to take things he likes away from him. Also the entire head is now legal.
Extra point for the 8 count was taken out for some reason.

if USAT follows the WTF rules, ears-forward has always been legal.

raising knee to block is legal too, at least there are no rules to illegalize it. even if someone wanted to debate the legality, u could excuse urself by saying u wanted to kick, and all taekwondo kicks by proper technique chambers, so there's no point illegalizing it. but if u can lift ur knee to block but unable to extend ur lower leg after blocking to attack, u probably can shift away or are already out of range, no point injuring urself.

spinning kicks to the body [eg 360 turning, backthrust] are 2 points, direct kicks are 1 point. 'turning kick' was a mistranslation.

OP
R

Red Menace

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Spinning kicks being 2 points makes more sense. Thanks!

But it appears a knee block (which as you point out would be hard to call) is illegal:

"1) The following acts shall be classified as prohibited acts, and “Kyong-go” shall be declared.

k. Lifting the knee to avoid a valid attack or impede the progress of an attack"

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was always under teh impression taht for the last few years, blocki ng by raising the knee was illegal. The points thign is brand new. As recent as last month, it was 1 point for a strike to the body, 2 for the head.

Peace,
Erik

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Has it always been illegal to block a kick by raising your knee? I've only done State and Local tournaments but I've been doing this ever since I started sparring 8 or 9 years ago."

Sadly it the most effective block to really use in real life. Even more so when you learn to turn either in to the attack or move just off the strike absorbing and then countering. Best part is your hand wont get broken either.

Dave O.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
oh ic. well then if u cannot shift in time, lift ur knee to block and follow it up with a jumping front or something . reduces the risk of a kyong go.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My confusion in the new rules is that kicks to the body are defined as having to be acurate and powerful but when it comes to kicks to the head the rules state "points will be awarded when any part of the foot touches the opponents head".

That seems really vague to me and if taken literally I see a lot of points being racked up for things that traditionally would not.

Good thing the got rid of the gap/ceiling rules if that is the case.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any word on wether these rules will be in place come nationals in Austin, TX?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Any word on wether these rules will be in place come nationals in Austin, TX?

The new rules will be used in Austin for the first time. They will apply to the 14-17BB and all Senior BB Divisions. Junior Safety Rules will still apply to BB's under 14 and color belts will follow the same rules as they historically have.

Ohh and the title of this thread should have been "New WTF Rules" not "New USAT Rules" since these are now the new rules of the WTF.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We were told at our referee seminar that States and Regionals would be using the old rules but be prepared for the new rules come Jr. and Sr. Nationals. IMHO this creates a problem for both referees and players because you are shifting your respective training paradigms fairly suddenly.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have my coach’s seminar this weekend. I know that one of my head instructors just did the referee seminar and will find out today about all the rules changes.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh joy. Nothing like a little tactical confusion to liven up your competition, eh?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh joy. Nothing like a little tactical confusion to liven up your competition, eh?

Yea it makes no sense to allow one thing at the state level and then allow something else at the big dance, but that is the USTU way I mean the USAT way now.
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions