New USAT CEO

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://usa-taekwondo.us/news/2011/09/20/parthen-named-usa-taekwondo-ceo/44671

Bill Kellick September 20, 2011

Eric_Parthen_headshot.jpg

Eric Parthen

USA Taekwondo has announced the hiring of Eric Parthen as its Chief Executive Officer.
Parthen, a 1994 magna cum laude graduate from Augustana College, was formerly the Managing Director for WSB Americas where he was responsible for leading all North American operations of the new start-up international boxing league. Under Parthen’s leadership, WSB Americas successfully launched the inaugural season with North American teams in Miami, Los Angeles, Memphis and Mexico City, Mexico. Prior to his work at WSB Americas, Parthen served as the Director of National Governing Body (NGB) Development for the United States Olympic Committee (USOC). Tasked with starting this new division in March 2005, Parthen and his staff worked to develop enhanced organizational capabilities in the national sport governing bodies that the USOC oversees. Major areas of focus included improving the governance, management and operational efficiency of NGBs to increase overall organizational effectiveness.

"I believe Eric is a great hire," said Kevin Padilla, chairman of the Board of Directors. “His background speaks for itself. He doesn't have much of a learning curve. Eric is a forward thinker and is confident in the future of USAT. He is motivated and eager to deal with the critical issues facing USAT and looking forward to helping rebuild morale and USAT’s organizational confidence. He has hit the pavement running."

Parthen first started with the USOC in the fall of 1993 after earning an internship during his senior year at Augustana. After graduation, he spent 18 months working as an Engagement Controller for Andersen Consulting (now Accenture) before returning to the USOC in April 1996. Since then, he has held numerous positions in the Olympic Family including as the Executive Director of USA Boxing where he led all staff operations for the national governing body for the sport of amateur boxing. Under his leadership, USA Boxing won two medals at the 2004 Olympic Games including the first Gold medal since 1996. In addition, Parthen stabilized operations and significantly increased revenue by engaging new partners during his nearly three year term.

In recognition of his various achievements, Parthen was a 2005 recipient of the “Finest Under Forty Outstanding Young Alumnus Award” from the Augustana College Alumni Association. In addition, he was profiled in the Colorado Springs Business Journal’s “2003 Forty Achievers Under 40.”

“I’m excited to join USA Taekwondo as its CEO and I look forward to the challenge of helping to lead the many hard working athletes, coaches, staff and volunteers in their quest to continue to achieve organizational sustained competitive excellence,” Parthen said. “USA Taekwondo has had an incredible history of athletic performance in international competition, including the Olympic Games, and I’m honored to be associated with that success.”

An active volunteer for the Colorado Springs chapter of the United Way and various other local charities, Parthen and his wife, Kelly, reside in Colorado Springs, Colorado with their 6 year old son, Kale, and their 4 year old daughter, Makena.

Parthen began his duties at the USAT National Office in Colorado Springs on Sept. 19.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From Kevin Padilla's infamous letter of 8/25/11 http://usa-taekwondo.us/news/2011/0...mbership-from-board-chair-kevin-padilla/44338 {Note USOC Hearing Panel has ordered them not to have elections}

"Upon advice of counsel we postponed the election process until we were sure that the process the Board instituted was free from prejudice and was fair to all. We believe we have that process in place and look forward to membership exercising their voting privileges to elect a forward-thinking board from among the many worthy candidates presented. Both the Board and Dave Askinas agreed that it would be appropriate for the new Board to have the opportunity to select their own CEO."

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So...the question is what's real. Anybody know anything about this guy or his connections/how this went down? Who did the hiring and what was the process. Given recent history, transparency would be in his best interest.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So...the question is what's real. Anybody know anything about this guy or his connections/how this went down? Who did the hiring and what was the process. Given recent history, transparency would be in his best interest.
www.recoiltkd.com Hal has plenty on him. He worked for the USOC and left them in Aug of 2010 (read recoiltkd), went to work for WSB (World Series of Boxing) was fired about 5 or 6 months later. Google karate and eric, they hated him and said he doesn't understand martial arts. He was hired by Kevin Padilla and maybe the whole board - without a quorum. His first act was to post the Judicial Committee ruling terminating the Bernard Robinson complaint and did no post the USOC Hearing Panel Decision and Order that the Judicial Committee had blown its chance by not having any hearings in 180 and putting jurisdiction in the USOC court not the dysfunctional Judicial Committee. In fact, they refer to the name "Judicial Committee" as a misnomer as a Judicial Committee sets hearing panels and hears grievances. Something this Judicial Committee. According to a piece someone just read me over the phone, this is a 3 month gig and elections are to be held. Considering the way he has started - I am not real hopeful. I still have the emails from Eric when he was at the USOC and supported allowing the National Coaches having their own schools and picking teams and coaches. I also have one where he suggests that the USAT bylaws could be changed to deny members their rights to observe BOD meetings so that their words could not be used against them. Transparency?

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
What I have been told is he is only an interim CEO and the USOC his paying his $10,000 a month salary for 3 months until a new board can be elected and a permanent CEO hired . I assume because it was convenient considering he was already in COS and unemployed with USOC and NGB experience. I just don't trust his close net work; Herb, Mankamyer and Padilla! I guess we will see in the next three months what takes place, we will either have change or continue with the same ole crap that we have been served up for the last 7 years!

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see one positive comment on this except from those who have a vested interest in apointing the CEO and its direction. Infact there is so little interest in the news no real quantity of replies to even keep this alive as a forum? Does not bode well beyond a wait and see which given the financial needs of the organization can they afford another year of negative revenue?

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't see one positive comment on this except from those who have a vested interest in apointing the CEO and its direction. Infact there is so little interest in the news no real quantity of replies to even keep this alive as a forum? Does not bode well beyond a wait and see which given the financial needs of the organization can they afford another year of negative revenue?

It's positive that it's a different name, but it's actions that count. Just too early to mean anything. I hope the guy has integrity and is a plus rather than a minus.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's positive that it's a different name, but it's actions that count. Just too early to mean anything. I hope the guy has integrity and is a plus rather than a minus.

I would hope with the USOC looking over his shoulder things will be better. However, i still remember who supposed all the programs and people who lead USAT to where it is today, facing decertification - and his initials are EP. I still have the emails from then. I also remember the phone calls.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would hope with the USOC looking over his shoulder things will be better. However, i still remember who supported all the programs and people who lead USAT to where it is today, facing decertification - and his initials are EP. I still have the emails from then. I also remember the phone calls.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
All that's certain is that the problems drew enough attention to remove Mr. Askinas, so it is on the radar. Now we get to find out whether higher headquarters is thorough on follow-through or not. That's the real accountability at this point because that's where the power lies. I'm hopeful but not holding my breath.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
All that's certain is that the problems drew enough attention to remove Mr. Askinas, so it is on the radar. Now we get to find out whether higher headquarters is thorough on follow-through or not. That's the real accountability at this point because that's where the power lies. I'm hopeful but not holding my breath.

Hearing Panel already kicked their assets. Collins did not slip anything by. They can smear and talk all they want - the paper trail speaks for itself.

Latest Discussions