New Local Law ~ Using Defibrillators

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just wondering if this law affects any of you that are school owners/instructors. Recently a new local law was passed that states that all MA schools and other such places of business are required to have a defibrillator on the premises and trained personnel as well at all times. I think it's a great idea, but I am concerned how it will impact my instructors' business, as it must be complied with sometime within the next month and the training is $250 per instructor plus the cost of the device.

Also I am personally a little nervous about the added responsibility, but understand how important it is to have trained personnel on the premises and how it can save lives. Has anyone here ever used one of these devices and is it easy enough to use?

Here's one link I found with some information on some of the state laws:

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/aed.htm

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Have not heard of that yet but it worries me a little that this may be required. This just adds to the mountain of problems as far as liability goes in owning a dojo.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nah, they are a sinch to use, and quite helpful in making a grilled cheese sandwich in a crunch!! I've used them and am still liscened to do so, so maybe that will cut down the cost for us....maybe that will go towards a raise for me!!

I hadn't heard of the law however, is there someplace anyone knows of to go check these laws and the details of them out? Like what states we are talkin about, and the details of when it must be complied by and such?

7sm

PS: I've been saying we needed one anyways, they are expensive but not as bad as many would think. I used to have a unit in the back of my car when I was still working as a paramedic. I think they run about $900, which is pretty bad, but the first life it saves makes it worth it.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the training $250/instructor is steep. The American Heart Association offers CPR training, including AED training, for under $100...sometimes as low as $35.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At my day job, last month just got trained on how to use it. It was free for me to get trained. The one we use gives out instructions as you use it.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kempojujutsu said:
At my day job, last month just got trained on how to use it. It was free for me to get trained. The one we use gives out instructions as you use it.
Could you please list the name of the company you got the training from?

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The cost of the training shouldnt matter too much. It should be tax deductable, as should be the cost of the defibrilator.

Latest Discussions