New Here

Levi Brown

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just joined a few days ago. I use to take Tae Kwon Do when I was 12 but haven't for years. Now I'm wanting to get back to a martial art but I don't know if I want to do Tae Kwon Do again or try one of the other arts in my area, which are boxing, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jujitsu, Ninjutsu or Karate. It's a hard decision lol.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial talk. Take your time and visit your area schools and ask a lot of questions here on martial talk to see what is the best Art to fit your needs.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as the instructor is good you will learn good stuff. As long as you enjoy what you are doing and put the effort with a good school then you will improve in whatever choice you make. I personally like karate practicing forms, two person sets or arm and leg conditioning but that's is my opinion.
Best of luck

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome, Levi Brown!

If you're serious about the arts, go watch classes at the closest schools to you for a few weeks. When you decide which one seems like the best fit, sign up. :)

OP
Levi Brown

Levi Brown

White Belt
Reaction score
I've already done a lot or research on all of them and I was leaning toward a Muay Thai/BJJ combo. There's a place nearby that teaches both. I just wish I could find a place around here that taught Judo or something like that so I could add that to the combination.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome. :wavey:

You won't go far wrong with MT/BJJ.
:asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk !!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just joined a few days ago. I use to take Tae Kwon Do when I was 12 but haven't for years. Now I'm wanting to get back to a martial art but I don't know if I want to do Tae Kwon Do again or try one of the other arts in my area, which are boxing, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jujitsu, Ninjutsu or Karate. It's a hard decision lol.

Hi Levi, welcome aboard.

I personally have a background in karate (Tani-ha Shito Ryu Shukokai), TKD (Rhee Tae Kwon Do), have trained BJJ (Gracie), done some boxing, and have been training in Ninjutsu for the last 21 years, teaching it for the last near-onto 9. However, there's no way I could help you with your decision, as it is, really, your decision. I (and others here) can help answer questions about the particular arts, but the most important thing is that whichever school you choose matches your needs and aims… and, to that end, the best approach is that which Seasoned suggested… visit as many as you can, and see which you like the best. Don't get too concerned about this style versus that style, see which instructor you like the most, someone you can relate to and respect, and you can learn from. See what the training group is like… do they help each other in training, or are they more "in it for themselves"? Are they skilled, or did they get their belts out of a serial packet?

All the best with it, and if you have questions, ask away!

OP
Levi Brown

Levi Brown

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I'm going to take that advice and start visiting as many of these schools I can today so I can meet the intructors, watch a class and maybe even meet some of there students to see what they say about the school and instructors.

Latest Discussions