New guy here, and I do ATA...

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm 50, with arthritis, and I WALK a mile, uphill, in 20/30 minutes. Doesn't seem like a real 'test' for a fit adult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking

Everyone knows they have to run 2.5 miles. Most students start training on this months before the test. Everyone runs it. We allow students to walk a lap(s) if needed. They are given 50 minutes to run it. We have some students, normally teenagers who are in great shape that finish it in 20 minutes.

We have had very unfit (Fat) people do the testing. They hated it, but they completed it and where so proud of themselves.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We often discuss this with other TKD systems...

I have a question about black belt transfers. Could someone like a 3rd dan in another form of TKD transfer INTO the ATA at the same rank, provided of course he learns the ATA curriculum?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, now about rank.

ATA has 9 color belts. White, Orange, Yellow, Camo, Green, Purple, Blue, Brown, Red.

There is a Recommended Black belt after red.

ATA rule is that students MUST complete Recommended rank at Brown belt. ATA gives their schools the option to choose if they want to implement recommended ranks before brown belt. At my school we begin recommended at camo belt. There is a testing fee for every rank, recommended and decided. The form will stay the same between the two testings but we change the basics, first time it's basics done in the form, second time it's weapon basics. We also do self-defense on the first testing and then the second testing it's sparring segments. We will do board break at testing also.
Just to make sure that I'm reading this correctly: two tests prior to camo (orange and yellow) then twelve tests total from camo to red, for a total of sixteen tests. Then there are two additional tests for black belt.

Is there a fee for all sixteen of those tests? Or do you only charge one fee for the belt level?

Also, what is the time in grade for recommended and the time in grade for decided?

Thank you,

Daniel

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just to make sure that I'm reading this correctly: two tests prior to camo (orange and yellow) then twelve tests total from camo to red, for a total of sixteen tests. Then there are two additional tests for black belt.

Is there a fee for all sixteen of those tests? Or do you only charge one fee for the belt level?

Also, what is the time in grade for recommended and the time in grade for decided?

Thank you,

Daniel

Sounds like the old ITA way, except they called it color and sr color.

So you had one test at white and yellow, then tested twice as green, blue, purple and red. (that's what, 10 tests?)

OP
A

auxiliary

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We often discuss this with other TKD systems...

I have a question about black belt transfers. Could someone like a 3rd dan in another form of TKD transfer INTO the ATA at the same rank, provided of course he learns the ATA curriculum?

ATA takes transfers all the time. Some of the high rank masters are from the WTF and other organizations and their ranks are usually held. Again, I don't work with masters or deal with the ATA organization itself on those. I work at my school and my school only. It's not common for us to have 3rd degrees and higher join the school.

Personally I like to keep a student at their rank if they come to the school. This usually helps there confidence and keeps them excited. What I let them do is join the school at their rank and then they may just have to wait longer to test. I have had students before that come to me as a certain rank at a different organization that where so bad I did have to start them over. Not what I normally like doing but I will if need be.

I think the biggest thing you guys need to realize is that I am doing something that works for me. This is my full time job and I support not only myself but also my entire staff. We are able to do what we love, help children and families and have a huge positive impact on our community.

If you don't agree with testing recommended or decided, or testing children under a certain age to black belt...then don't do it.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ATA rule is that students MUST complete Recommended rank at Brown belt. ATA gives their schools the option to choose if they want to implement recommended ranks before brown belt. At my school we begin recommended at camo belt. There is a testing fee for every rank, recommended and decided.
Maybe you missed this one (on the last page) but I just wanted to clarify: Does the testing fee for the rank include both recommended and decided or do recommended and decided each carry their own fees?

One fee for the rank with a recommended and decided stage is different from what amounts to a total of sixteen ranks, some of which share a belt color but none of which share a fee.

Again, my thanks in advance.

Daniel

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you missed this one (on the last page) but I just wanted to clarify: Does the testing fee for the rank include both recommended and decided or do recommended and decided each carry their own fees?

One fee for the rank with a recommended and decided stage is different from what amounts to a total of sixteen ranks, some of which share a belt color but none of which share a fee.

Again, my thanks in advance.

Daniel
At the ATA school I attend the recommended/decided rank structure applies to everyone from orange belt to 2nd degree black belt. The only ranks that are mandatory for us to test for both recommended and decided ranks is 1st and 2nd degree and there are testing fees for both the recommended and decided ranks at that level. The way my school handles the recommended/decided ranks for the color belts is when you test depending on how well you do during the test you can be promoted either to the next rank "recommended" or "decided". If I understand it correctly the recommended ranks basically have all the material down, but need additional work on the technical aspects if that makes any sense. This is the first school I've studied at that uses that promotion structure, but from reading some of the other responses it sounds like it's fairly common. I don't necessarily agree with the recommended/decided rank structure, either you pass the promotion test or you don't.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At the ATA school I attend the recommended/decided rank structure applies to everyone from orange belt to 2nd degree black belt. The only ranks that are mandatory for us to test for both recommended and decided ranks is 1st and 2nd degree and there are testing fees for both the recommended and decided ranks at that level. The way my school handles the recommended/decided ranks for the color belts is when you test depending on how well you do during the test you can be promoted either to the next rank "recommended" or "decided". If I understand it correctly the recommended ranks basically have all the material down, but need additional work on the technical aspects if that makes any sense. This is the first school I've studied at that uses that promotion structure, but from reading some of the other responses it sounds like it's fairly common. I don't necessarily agree with the recommended/decided rank structure, either you pass the promotion test or you don't.
Okay, so you pay for two dan testings at each dan.

The OP stated that at his school there is a test for both rec and dec for each rank beginning with camo. Including black, I think it came out to about eighteen tests in total from white to black.

My question to him is whether or not there is a fee for each test or if the fee is for the belt itself.

Daniel

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The OP stated that at his school there is a test for both rec and dec for each rank beginning with camo. Including black, I think it came out to about eighteen tests in total from white to black.

My question to him is whether or not there is a fee for each test or if the fee is for the belt itself.

Daniel

I think he said it was a fee for each test. Maybe I just read it that way because I a used to that kind of rank advancement.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think he said it was a fee for each test. Maybe I just read it that way because I a used to that kind of rank advancement.
He had said that there is a fee for each rank. Are 6th geub recommended and 6th geub decided considered to be separate ranks?

If you're testing twice for each geub and paying twenty dollars or more for each test, that is an awful lot of financial expenditure over and above tuition.

Daniel

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He had said that there is a fee for each rank. Are 6th geub recommended and 6th geub decided considered to be separate ranks?

If you're testing twice for each geub and paying twenty dollars or more for each test, that is an awful lot of financial expenditure over and above tuition.

Daniel

Aye, I had 50 bucks every 2 month, times 2 (cos my kid took, too), comes down to 500 bucks til you look at BB, stretched over just under 2 years. In my case, anyhow.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I think the biggest thing people need to know is that the ATA is not a franchise, but is a license. I am sure most of you know the difference between the two, but that allows all the schools to be different. Main thing between us is that we use the same forms, our instructors are certified nationally, which is nice, and then of course the huge amount of tournaments that the ATA offers throughout the year. Trust me, I know there are plenty of them that aren't up to par. But, I also know there are a lot of other schools not affiliated with ATA that are just as bad, if not worse.

What exactly do you get with the license? Just the right to use the ATA name and forms plus access to ATA tournaments? If so what was the appeal to go with ATA as opposed to KKW Taekwondo or any other TKD school?

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Daniel

The recommended and decided tests for 1st and 2nd degree are 2 seperate tests which we're required to pay for each exam. I can only assume that a portion of the testing fees go towards the belt itself. The leadership club members recieve a nice embroidered belt once they reach 1st degree decided, the black belt club members recieve a plain black belt. Regarding your question concerning the testing fees, it sounds like the OP's school treats their color belt ranks similar to how my school does their Tiny Tiger program. The younger kids are tested for both recommended and decided grades from white belt on up and there is a testing fee applied to both recommended and decided ranks, which substantially increases the number of tests you pay for depending on how old your kids are when they start studying.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ATA fills a need for those who use the service. In the area in which we live we have had some ATA people transfer over and by and large they just don't last. They want to work hard but just don't seem to have the fortitude. I have seen some with big talent great lead legs but they seem to have trouble getting hit. We had one kid come and train with us and he was doing well for about 9 months but in the end was unable to stay focused over a long period of time. All the ATA people have been very nice and good quality people but lacked the desire to stay on a top competition team.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thought I'd introduce myself. I was searching for something online and came across this forum and after reading a couple of posts thought I'd love to join. I hope I can give some feedback on what the ATA is, does, and operates. Currently I'm a third degree and testing for fourth at world championships in June.

Just so you guys know I got my black belt in WTF when I was a child, "Junior black belt", and then took a break and later came back to TKD in the ATA.

I currently run a "successful school" (In my eyes) and have been doing so for the past couple of years. Hopefully I can help some people out with ideas and what not. Of course, I hope I can also get help in continuing to grow and help my students.

Please, leave the ATA bashing for other threads, but like I said I am willing to answer any questions you guys may have about it.

Thanks!

Welcome...and why can't I bash the ATA

The Air Transport Association... I can't STAND those guys :D

Latest Discussions