New beginning

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just went to a class held by an old grappling instructor of mine. He switched dojos, there was a falling out, and now teaches at a new place where the owner is a lot more hands off, and letting him do his own thing. It's like night and day, the atmosphere, the people, exciting, like any great thing can happen. It's kind of his first time on his own (other dojo was family business) and you can tell that the freedom has changed everything. Lots of fun, lots of pain, but lots of fun. His talent was always apparent, but now it seems like a dark cloud has been lifted. He now teaches more MMA where he can use his boxing and wrestling skills (ex golden gloves and high school wrestling champ) and well, kind of just making it up as he goes along, which sounds like a bad thing, but it's not. Even teaches dirty tricks (pinches, pokes and foot stomp in the clinch so far) in a humorous way. Sadly, I'm moving, but I might try to drive a few hours to make his class. Anybody experienced anything like this, watching someone empty their cup, get free and really make a turnaround? Anybody had to leave a negative atmosphere behind to make the next step?

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am glad that your instructor has found a new path for himself as well as his students. I know how you feel as I had the same kind of experience with my training. have fun, never forget the past and build on it. Remember no time on the mat is a waste no matter where you train.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my instructors had a bad thing going with his up line (so to speak). He split away and made his own way and things definently went better for him.

Mark

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Anybody experienced anything like this, watching someone empty their cup, get free and really make a turnaround? Anybody had to leave a negative atmosphere behind to make the next step?
I am still trying to get the "turn-around" that you mentioned. I had to break away after a large differing of opinions on how to train my students. There was constant word exchanges and I eventually got tired of the constant bashing. My own personal training has made a huge turnaround. I am trying to increase my knowledge by training in other styles. I also joined the United States Martial Arts Association and they have been very helpful. They provide the chance to train in several styles and increase your skills in the styles you study.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My brazilian Jiu Jitsu coach just went through a refesher of sorts. He was holding class at this relatively small Karate dojo. his classes were small, he didnt have much control of times and whatnot, and only my brother and I were guaranteed to be at class. He moved locations to this Taekwondo school that gives him total control, a whole room to use whenever (it has two rooms), and a pretty large (15-20) class. unfortunately, I can no longer go very often because it is now much further away. so I have permission from him to run a training group, in which we visit him to get evaluated. we also have great dvds as supplements (in case we forget). He thanks the old Karate school owner for the place to train however, as he needed it as a gateway to his new place.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Just went to a class held by an old grappling instructor of mine. He switched dojos, there was a falling out, and now teaches at a new place where the owner is a lot more hands off, and letting him do his own thing. It's like night and day, the atmosphere, the people, exciting, like any great thing can happen. It's kind of his first time on his own (other dojo was family business) and you can tell that the freedom has changed everything. Lots of fun, lots of pain, but lots of fun. His talent was always apparent, but now it seems like a dark cloud has been lifted. He now teaches more MMA where he can use his boxing and wrestling skills (ex golden gloves and high school wrestling champ) and well, kind of just making it up as he goes along, which sounds like a bad thing, but it's not. Even teaches dirty tricks (pinches, pokes and foot stomp in the clinch so far) in a humorous way. Sadly, I'm moving, but I might try to drive a few hours to make his class. Anybody experienced anything like this, watching someone empty their cup, get free and really make a turnaround? Anybody had to leave a negative atmosphere behind to make the next step?

If you were happy with this instrutor, I highly suggest that you make that drive!!! :ultracool It sounds like he's doing some great things and that you enjoyed being there.

I had some negative atmosphere with a Kenpo school I used to attend. I had been training for a long time, and it killed me to stop, but getting out of that school was definately in my best interest. I recently began training in a new school, and I have to say that the feeling of being back on the mat is awesome!!! The training and learning experience is night and day compared to the last one.

Again, if you can find any way to make that drive, do it!!!

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
That sounds really great LC. It's sometimes difficult to detect what it is that's causing a 'negative air' at a school or what-have-you, but it sounds like this change has some really possitive effects.

Now: Drop Sweat Daily!!!
and enjoy...

Your Brother
John

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thars great..Your training will be more enjoyable. The time in the class will fly. As with anything that one enjoys-time ends quickly.

This has happened to me.

Students have to actually TELL me that the class time is up.

Latest Discussions