Never too old for TKD!!!!! :)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a great story!
I like this line.

"The only problem with teaching the elderly, he says, is an hour later they sometimes forget what he's told them."

I don't think that's exclusive to the elderly. :lol2:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What a great story! I met a woman last weekend who tested for her 3rd Dan. She was 75!!!!!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
What a great story! I met a woman last weekend who tested for her 3rd Dan. She was 75!!!!!

I wonder what she had to do for her breaks. TW

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know a woman who started at 68 - 5 years later, she's a black belt, working toward 2nd... and she's not the only one in her age bracket, either.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow, I have to retrain my brain for those nights when I think 'I'm too old for this, a 540 backspin...oh no'

Truly an inspiration! Thanks for that!!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's great to hear that they're enjoying it! Thanks for sharing!

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
HK Phoowy if your realy into tkd i have the old *mill basic to black by General CHo.I have also Jhoon Rhees tkd-Hwong J Lee high impact kicks-& I think I stillhave HE Il Chos not sure.Be happy to send some to you

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I wonder what she had to do for her breaks. TW

I don't know, but she was in a few pretty physical sessions at the conference. Last Fearner was in the room when she tested, maybe he'll tell us.:ultracool

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have said time and again that TKD is a great art for the core training and mobility needed for a healthy life. At a tournament 5/6/06 there was a young fella that was 83. He was an orange belt and did Tae Guek Sam Jang like a champ. This guy was in the Army in WWII. The doctors told him to do something to stay mobil.

Good for Charlie, that is his name by the way.

Hoshin

Matt

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not at all, after finishing the form he laughed and said "You know I got my dobok to pop and it wasn't my knees!"

I laughed and congratulated him. It was hard and he deserved it.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I don't know, but she was in a few pretty physical sessions at the conference. Last Fearner was in the room when she tested, maybe he'll tell us.:ultracool

Yes, I was in the room when the 75 year old lady tested for her 3rd Dan at the USCDKA National Conference. Although I do not prefer closed testing sessions for any rank, it seems to be a policy for the USCDKA (at least for the national test), so I will respect and honor that.

As Iceman knows, I was late arriving that morning (had trouble finding the location deep in the middle of nowhere, near Lake Whales Florida). Anyhow, I had already tested for my 6th Dan under my teacher, Grandmaster Al Smith (8th Dan), so this was a "re-confirmation test" for me. In fact, GM Smith only told me that they would want to "take a look at what I knew," and didn't make it clear that it was going to be a full blown test.

Anyhow, when I arrived, the doors to the gym were locked, and the windows were covered. After awhile, I was finally let in, and all of the Black Belts were nearly done with their forms. They put me in an area to the side, and a Sr. Master on the Judging Panel watched me do every form from Taegeuk Il Jang through 6th Dan "Jitae" (including the extra four USCDKA Black Belt forms which I had just learned 4 weeks prior).

As I was busy testing, I did not see everything that the others were doing, but I did notice the the 75 year old lady was working hard, doing forms, one-steps, and Free Sparring. By the time I was finished with my forms, I was playing catch-up to the others and had to do one-steps and fight several people in a short amount of time.

After the test is over, they give a CD-ROM of still shot pictures to each of those who tested. They don't make those photos public, and it is up to that individual if they want to share those photos with their own students. Personally, I'd rather have my head cut off and stuffed in a toilet! :toilclaw:

Just kidding :lol2: Anyhow, everyone worked hard, and did very well, and we all passed! Yeaaaa!!!

I also got offically "pinned" with two gold stars on my suit lapel (for being a Chief Master), at the pinning ceremony by Sr. Grandmaster Ed Sell, and Grandmaster Brenda Sell along with my teacher, Grandmaster Al Smith, and in the presence of Grandmaser Hae Man Park. I'm not 75 years old yet, but it was quite an Honor! :)

CM D. J. Eisenhart

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
I also got offically "pinned" with two gold stars on my suit lapel (for being a Chief Master), at the pinning ceremony by Sr. Grandmaster Ed Sell, and Grandmaster Brenda Sell along with my teacher, Grandmaster Al Smith, and in the presence of Grandmaser Hae Man Park. I'm not 75 years old yet, but it was quite an Honor! :)

CM D. J. Eisenhart

Way to go Last Fearner!:partyon:

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
After the test is over, they give a CD-ROM of still shot pictures to each of those who tested. They don't make those photos public, and it is up to that individual if they want to share those photos with their own students. Personally, I'd rather have my head cut off and stuffed in a toilet! :toilclaw:
Ahem! We happen to have a photo gallery with just enough room for YOU! :)
(Pictures of you with your head stuffed in the toilet are optional)

BTW. Congratulations!!!