Needing Help

OP
J

jacksaber

White Belt
Reaction score
Master Dan, I did not learn from a book, and yes I have already admittied that it is a not a way to really learn, In Tae Kwon Do I trained under Master Larry Lucas, and Master Robert Irvan, I had orginally strarted tranning under them at team slain, sorry if that is spelled wrong, Then Master Lucas and Master Irvan split from there and opened up there own school Team Players TKD, which is still in existance, I can't remember the exact year but i think it was in 2002 Master Lucas split from Master Irvan, Master Lucas formed his own school, Team Lucas Center, unfortuantly Master Lucas could not keep his doors open and had to close his dojo. I could have gone back to Master Irvan, but he has always played favoites amoungst his students and that never sat well with me. The reason I do not use my college martial arts clubs/dojos is mostly because the building they are use has a monthly fee, They said it was about 40$, in order to use, and then I would have to pay the club dues and the price of a uniform, Normally the monthly fee would have been taken out of my tuition but I'm technically at a regional campus so that montly fee was not factored in to my tuition and they do not have any clubs at this regional campus. jks9199 I have looked around the Columbus Campus but I have explained why I can't use them already, There are a few Jujitsu dojos around but most of them are at least a half an hour away, and I'll be honest I'm really not interested into MMA or BJJ. Yes I have been doing research into life and death situations, as far as the techniques are concerened we are starting at page one and trying techniques, and I will admit we are more than likely getting them wrong, which is the main reason we are asking for help from people and why I am on this forum. Now I need to ask what do you mean by daycare Tae Kwon Do? I get that you mean easier Tae Kwon Do but I don't understand what you mean in exact terms. Chris, Sorry if I was snappy earlier, I'm not usually that way, So I would like to apologize for my snide remarks. I thank you for your critisim, yes I know my post were spread our over five hours, I had a few short breaks within that time in which I was able to get on and post. As to what makes me qualified to find what I think are good self-defense techniques the answer is nothing. I have already said I have tranning in TKD, I have a little bit of cross tranning in judo, but not much. I already have a feeling as to how you are going to react but there it is. Oaktree, Thank you for your refrences and the links that you provided me with. I think I have answered most, if not all, of the questions you have asked me.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jack, there's an obvious solution here that has been hinted at, but I'll be as explicit as I can.

If you earned a third dan in TKD, even if you've been out of training for a few years, I would think that you ought to be able to remember your art and just continue practicing on your own. You could even have some friends working with you and essentially learning from you. I cannot believe that you've forgotten everything after just a few years, and you have NO IDEA how to go about practicing what you had learned, and simply carrying on under your own momentum.

You do not need to have a class or instructor in order to train. If you've already received quality training, and you reached that level, you SHOULD be able to do this.

Is there a reason why you cannot?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is "daycare TKD?" Just exactly that. At least in my area, it's very common for TKD schools (especially, though not exclusively) to run thinly veiled day care programs under the guise of "after school programs." They do a little training, a lot of babysitting, and are day care with a thin martial arts theme. Yes, I have a problem with them because a lot of them duck the regulations for day care.

It's not a guarantee that they have bad training -- but you'd be safe betting on it.

As long as you make excuses, and are happy justifying trying to learn out of books... that's all you'll do. At this point, you've received quite a bit of advice, but you don't want to hear anything that doesn't jive with what you're doing. Good luck to you...

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also train a half hour away. Just sayin'......

If a person really wanted to,,he would do it. But i guess that's it. Really isnt into clubs like bjj, like he said.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jack,

You're probably not getting the answers you were hoping for.

That's because self-study is just not thought of highly by respectable martial artists.

I know that sucks for you and doesn't jive with your agenda, but that's really the bottom line.

I'm sure that being an experienced martial artists you can likely pick up more than the average Joe from books and DVDs but I honestly am not so sure I'd bother putting that kind of time in to something I don't get a chance to train under the guidance of an expert in that style. There are intricacies and special applications according to your individual body type ... it just goes on and on.

I truly think the very best recommendations made to you so far are:

1. Re-visit what you've already learned. If you kept notes, great! If the syllabus you learned is published and you can recover it, great! It's a lot easier than you think to rediscover what you learned before and re-test (perhaps) under a new instructor in Tae Kwon Do.

This will afford you a few things; again rediscovery of older material might shed new light on things you didn't see before, the potential for income should you start your own club, a networking opportunity to find teachers or coaches in your area for the supplemental arts you want to find at a reduced rate or trade situation.

2. Get more creative in finding training partners or instructors for the styles you wish to move forward in.

Good luck to you and I hope your training serves you well.

OP
J

jacksaber

White Belt
Reaction score
jks, I can assure you that my training was not a day care tranning, and I am taking in all of this advice, and I am trying to figure the best ways to use it, I am not making excuses I'm saying the way things are. and I am listening to all of the advice that everyone has given me. Flying Crane, I am still doing Tae Kwon Do in my tranning, I have not forgotten my tranning, that would have been an insult to my master, Yes I forget some of the forms and the korean names for the techniques, but I still know what they are. shesulsa, thank you for your advice, and those are actually the things i was thinking about doing, a club would be great to start but i'm still rusty and need to do some major brush up work if that were to become a possiblity. Again thank you all for your advice and your time, I will more than likely abandon the books and focus mainly on TKD, as that seems to be the best option open to me.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Master Dan, I did not learn from a book, and yes I have already admittied that it is a not a way to really learn, In Tae Kwon Do I trained under Master Larry Lucas, and Master Robert Irvan, I had orginally strarted tranning under them at team slain, sorry if that is spelled wrong, Then Master Lucas and Master Irvan split from there and opened up there own school Team Players TKD, which is still in existance, I can't remember the exact year but i think it was in 2002 Master Lucas split from Master Irvan, Master Lucas formed his own school, Team Lucas Center, unfortuantly Master Lucas could not keep his doors open and had to close his dojo. I could have gone back to Master Irvan, but he has always played favoites amoungst his students and that never sat well with me. The reason I do not use my college martial arts clubs/dojos is mostly because the building they are use has a monthly fee, They said it was about 40$, in order to use, and then I would have to pay the club dues and the price of a uniform, Normally the monthly fee would have been taken out of my tuition but I'm technically at a regional campus so that montly fee was not factored in to my tuition and they do not have any clubs at this regional campus. jks9199 I have looked around the Columbus Campus but I have explained why I can't use them already, There are a few Jujitsu dojos around but most of them are at least a half an hour away, and I'll be honest I'm really not interested into MMA or BJJ. Yes I have been doing research into life and death situations, as far as the techniques are concerened we are starting at page one and trying techniques, and I will admit we are more than likely getting them wrong, which is the main reason we are asking for help from people and why I am on this forum. Now I need to ask what do you mean by daycare Tae Kwon Do? I get that you mean easier Tae Kwon Do but I don't understand what you mean in exact terms. Chris, Sorry if I was snappy earlier, I'm not usually that way, So I would like to apologize for my snide remarks. I thank you for your critisim, yes I know my post were spread our over five hours, I had a few short breaks within that time in which I was able to get on and post. As to what makes me qualified to find what I think are good self-defense techniques the answer is nothing. I have already said I have tranning in TKD, I have a little bit of cross tranning in judo, but not much. I already have a feeling as to how you are going to react but there it is. Oaktree, Thank you for your refrences and the links that you provided me with. I think I have answered most, if not all, of the questions you have asked me.

Id like to know how old you are? it was not me that brought up day care tkd that was another person. If you are 3rd Dan first I never give a black belt to anyone that is not committed to thier personal training and then to serve others or they can just kiss off get your belt from somone else.

Second the best way to stay in shape and continue learning is to teach the more you teach the more you relearn what you have learned by teaching them and first your Karma will improve by helping others period. Start a new class where ever you can YMCA, rec center at a church lots of desperate kids need a teacher I can help you with grant funnding for equipment and even payment for your time. Can't believe there is not a master in your area that does not want to expand.

What state and city are you in?

I may be able to help you with a Master or Grand master that will supply your belt testing for you but frankly you do not need that for colored belts only bb.

I can email you certificates that you can print for colored belts, I can advise you on free insurance ect. Get involved in training teaching 3 days a week and then out of that will come funds for you to get specific training to advance or cross train if you feel you need better self defense training?

OP
J

jacksaber

White Belt
Reaction score
Master Dan thats... Well thats awfully gerneous of you, to answer your question I am 18 Years old. I live in Hilliard, Ohio. I would love to figure out away to help others, I could try asking a few of the local High Schools if I could use their gynasiums and place to work out. There really aren' any YMCAs around here, but I can try to find a master or a grand master who's looking to have another school or so forth, I know a few Masters that may be able to help me out in finding a place, There are a few churches around that may offer some support. But before anything else is done I need to do some reasearch and find out some information. May I get your email so that I can send my findings directly to you? Because I'll admit, when it comes to starting a club I have absoluetly no Idea what to do.

OP
J

jacksaber

White Belt
Reaction score
I just want to make sure that I'm able to do this, I'll admit I hadn't thought of it before, and I really don't want to get in over my head. And again thank you.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't continue in tae kwon do for two reasons, the first one is I have been out of practice for the past four years, and the second is my dojo closed, we had an arrangement with the master where money was concerned.

Dojang, not Dojo. Shouldn't you know that?

Teaching at a university gym sounds like a good idea, a lot of uni's have martial arts clubs. The local one to me I think has a wrestling club and a kickboxing club.

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Alright I am going to do some assuming. I will assume that you are indeed a 3rd degree black belt. Given this truth I will assume that you know enough about how the body works to execute things correctly after a few tries. If these assumptions are accurate I see no problem with learning totally new things from a book or video. Sure it isn't ideal as even you stated, but it's somthing. If I was to choose between doing nothing and learning somthing new from a book then I would choose learning somthing new.

To the haters out there. 3rd degree in TKD may be boring him. Maybe he is trying to decide what else is out there. Maybe he sees that WTF style TKD isn't very good for actually defending yourself. Which Sport TKD practitioners would admit. If self defense is what you are looking for though I would get some stuff on Krav Maga or some of Tony Blauer's DVDs. The DVDs are pretty expensive though.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Put out the feelers. Post up some notices saying you're interested in starting a martial arts club at your school (assuming there isn't one already; if there is, I'm not clear what there is to talk about). We did this at our tiny liberal arts college. And lo and behold, we got plenty of interested students. And no fewer than five people qualified to teach in their chosen disciplines. They just needed someone to bring them together.

In other words, you needn't feel qualified to teach. You can simply organize the club, and I'll wager that someone qualified to teach it will appear in the mix somewhere. Even in a school population of 1,500 students, we found people qualified to instruct in tang soo do, two forms of Japanese karate (shotokan and... another one), eskrima, and aikido.

There are probably dozens of people on your campus wondering how to go about training.

Stuart

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Listen Jack-

While I was in college I craved getting together with other martial artists. I was able to teach them my art, but I also wanted to learn something else, get a taste for other martial arts....etc,

Most any college or Jr. College in the USA has not only students from around the state, but also from across the nation or around the world!!! Put up signs "Seeking Martial Artists for Training and Instruction". Believe me, you'll probably get people coming out of the woodwork to train. I did. It ended up being one of the richest and most rewarding martial arts experiences I've ever had. We had Black Belts and it's equivalent from Kung Fu, TKD, Karate, Jujutsu/Judo and many many more!
...all FREE.....
ALL working around our school schedules.

Best of Luck in your seeking. Your enthusiasm may serve you well if you procede with diligence and intelligence.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions