Need to be KNOWN?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you feel a need to be known outside your group of friends, or outside your dojo?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. Why would I?

I don't care what other people think of my skill or whatever. The only people important to me in that regard are me, my sensei and my dojo mates. Whatever other people think is not important.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really. I have a job & career which take care of me fine. I have TMA which I've done for the majority of my life "for me". I teach to give back what a little of what I've earned. I've written an article & had it published before. I've flown across the world & the country to train & perform. I've been on local news in the states & China. I've met & learned from publicly famous people & intentionally nonpublicly famous people that require an "in" to reach. I have taught & still teach people ranging from elementary school kids to college professors, average joes to professional athletes, stay at home moms to exotic dancers.

At this point... I could care less. I've put my name out on the net enough to where if somebody's looking for me, I can be found. If not, nothing lost is still nothing lost.

I still do it for me & whatever comes my way due to it (or doesn't), is fine.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am considering offering seminar instruction along with other add-ons like book and video reference material. If so, obviously some degree of 'fame' is needed to be successful.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you feel a need to be known outside your group of friends, or outside your dojo?
No I don't feel like I need to be known outside of my friends or my school. I don't brag about the fact that I study martial arts, but I don't necessarily hide it either if someone strikes up a conversation with me about it.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
This really depends on context. At work and school, people don't even know I train. However, I really like to teach, and so I have and do take speaking engagements and am involved in seminars my school does. That has more to do with the love of teaching and sharing, and not so much wanting anyone to really know me.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Depends. If I am interested in just sharing what I know just within the dojo, then no. If I'm interested in getting out and conducting seminars, workshops, etc, then yes, you're going to have to get out there and make yourself known.

Currently, thats not something I'm focusing on, however down the road, I would like to start giving something back to others, outside of my training group, dojo, etc.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Need to be known? Not really, I did a bit of advertising to get a decent sized training group started, but now that it is there I am stopping even what little advertising I did. I do enjoy sharing the art(s), passing on what my instructors have shown me, so I do small seminars for various groups, but those tend to be word of mouth affairs rather than advertising to strangers.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To some degree perhaps once I open a dojo for no other reason than make available to people what I can teach them. With fame comes infamy though and I don't want any of that.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yes and no,

I don't need the ego trip or the headaches,
but I like many others want to share our art,
And for me this includes spreading the good
news (Gospel) of Jesus the Messiah!

Chris

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think people have a need to be recognized for their efforts. For good or bad, we also have a need to teach our way of thinking to others; hence, posting on a message board.
Sean

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Most of they year, I`m the only foreign male in a small Japanese town so I`m used to sticking out. People I`ve never seen in my life call me by name all the time. It`s weird. Everybody knows me because I teach English at the schools. A smaller group know me because I occasionally work at a friend`s pub and they like my cooking. And an even smaller group knows me as a MA. Personally I get more enjoyment from being known as a cook, but I could easily live without it.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to be known for a 'hey whatta ya at, wanna have a beer afterwards' or somethin while at a seminar or competition Or just a hello while watchin it. I have fun meeting people from other dojos.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes and no. Do I need to be on everyone lips like a Hollywood movie star? No.

Do I want to be known as the expert on self defense and martial arts that you would recommend to someone else that they bring themselves and their kid to? Hell, yes.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

No. Why would I?

I don't care what other people think of my skill or whatever. The only people important to me in that regard are me, my sensei and my dojo mates. Whatever other people think is not important.

I'm with Bruno on this one.

Latest Discussions