Need some help!

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor gave me some homework for next class. I'm supposed to find what makes Tae Geuk Sa Jang different from the first 3 poomse(which are Il Jang, Yee Jang, & Sam Jang)? I've gone over them like, a billion times, I've looked over my notes(I wrote the poomse down in a notebook), and I STILL have NO clue what makes Sa Jang different.
Please help me! I'm desperate!

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
A few things I think of readily:

1. It's the first form that DOESN'T start with a low block, turning left.

2. It's the first form that uses a side kick and a spear knife-hand.

3. It's the first form that has two kihaps, one in the middle, one at the end.

4. It's the only taeguk form that's my favorite.

Ok, you can't use the fourth one, but maybe the other 3.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Please help me! I'm desperate!
Hello Desperate in Virginia!

I'm Last Fearner from Michigan :mst:

Christina, since you seem to be seriously attempting to discover the answer to your instructor's question on your own, even though you're having trouble with it, I would be willing to help you some. It is good to seek out other sources from which to learn, but if you were just being lazy and asking others for the answers, I would say to try harder. However, you appear to be genuinely stuck, so here are some hints:

First of all, you should be sure that you learn the trigrams of the I-Ching that are used for each of the Taegeuk Poomsae, and the corresponding elements of nature that each represent (four of these trigrams are depicted on the Korean Flag, and four are not). Each of these trigrams represent many things in life, and characteristics of forces in nature. The first form, Il jang, is represented by the three solid bars which represents heaven. I'll leave it to you to search out the rest.

Secondly, think about the directions you are turning, and the path you are taking throughout the pattern of each Taegeuk. Where do you go for movements 1-8 in Il jang, Yi jang, and Sam jang. Then compare those to where you go in movements 1-8 in Sa jang. If you notice a difference, what is it, and why do you suppose it is that way?

Another point to consider are the types of techniques used. If you have really been analyzing these forms closely, you should have at least observed some differences in progression of techniques. What types of blocks are used in each form? - - punches? - - kicks? Are the blocks and strikes open or closed hand? Are they all single hand, or are there double hand techniques (two things happening at once)? How does that compare to the first three forms? What types of kicks are used, how many, and where in the form do they occur? What is done on the top line of Sa jang, and how is that different from any of the other three poomsae? How is the second half of Sa jang different, and how does the form end that might vary from the others?

Perhaps these things will give you something to stir up some thought. If more questions occur in your mind, post them here, and we can continue the search for knowledge, and maybe others will give you their personal insights and observations. If you like, you can PM me directly, and I will taunt you some more. :ultracool

Talk to you soon
CM D.J. Eisenhart

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The poomse uses the double knife hand middle block in a back stance, finger tip thrust/spear hand strike, knife hand neck strike and back fist strike which are among the new techniques introduced in this form. It's still one of my favorite forms to practice.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last Fearner,

I really liked how you answered this question. Giving directions instead of the answers.

Miles

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner,

I really liked how you answered this question. Giving directions instead of the answers.

Miles
Thanks, Miles. :asian: That is usually how I teach my students. Lead them to discovering the answers while keeping them from wondering too far off track. The revelation of knowledge is so much more fun, and meaningful if they have to think and figure it out themselves.

I don't imagine Christina's instructor said, "Go ask someone else what the difference in these forms are, and then come back and repeat the answer they gave you."
:)

Last Fearner

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bookworm, I was also asked that same question for the first time a couple weeks ago. There I stood in front of a class of junior belts looking to me as a black belt who surely must know the answer. Happy to say I gave the correct answer. I had to really think about the previous forms and the progression of techniques that flow from one to the next. I think that if you visualize that progression it will come to you.