Survey questions

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are part of USAT

1) Are you behind 100% the direction of the USAT?

2) Are you in the process of looking for other avenues for your competitors

3) Are you happy with the USAT and them only caring about a certain level of players

4) What about the Master Perez scenerio, does this brother you that no opne is willing to explain everything to all members?

5) What will be the future role for small club owners withen the USAT and do they have a chance in ther competitors making it?

6) Will the trouble of the USAT ever come to an end with the athletes being first and foremost?

7) Please give you opinion about what well happen next year without proper rferee's?

Thanks and lets keep the professional shall we
Terry

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as USAT is the only available path to the Olympics I will support them as that is my child's ultimate goal. If an org like AAU becomes the path to the ultimate goal in the sport, then my allegiance will change at that time. To leave the USAT now and go to AAU or any other governing body will not get you on the US Olympic Team for Taekwondo. Yes I know the odds of making the Olympic team in 6, 10 or 14 years (the times when my child would most likely have a shot) are slim, but as it stands right now, USAT is the only org that put my kid on the team.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As long as USAT is the only available path to the Olympics I will support them as that is my child's ultimate goal. If an org like AAU becomes the path to the ultimate goal in the sport, then my allegiance will change at that time. To leave the USAT now and go to AAU or any other governing body will not get you on the US Olympic Team for Taekwondo. Yes I know the odds of making the Olympic team in 6, 10 or 14 years (the times when my child would most likely have a shot) are slim, but as it stands right now, USAT is the only org that put my kid on the team.

Mango.man that is my problem as well my son goal is make the 2012 or 2016 Olympic teams he is only 12 going onj thirty but for him to have a shot he needs the USAT right now so I will never completely leave them but are also looking into other tournaments for him to be at.

Thank you for one answer do you have any opinions about the other questions

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are part of USAT

At this point yes because of what I posted above.

2) Are you in the process of looking for other avenues for your competitors?

We look for every possible opportunity to fight that we can find, USAT or otherwise. I just got done putting together a DVD of all my child's fights for 2006 to give to the new coach. 22 fights in total so far this year. I can also think of 2 events where we went uncontested without even an exhibition match. She is expected to fight in the California Team v Mexico Jr team next month in Tijuana as well. I am counting on at least 1 or 2 fights there, hopefully.

3) Are you happy with the USAT and them only caring about a certain level of players?

Not at all. I especially would not be happy if my child was one of the 12 year old green belts that they have apparently turned their back on. Fortunately she is a 14 year old black belt, which I believe is what they are looking for these days to start grooming for the 2012, 2016, 2020 Olympics.

4) What about the Master Perez scenerio, does this brother you that no opne is willing to explain everything to all members?

The USAT should conduct their business they way that they see is beneficial. If this is what they think is the best path for athlete, coach, ref development then I think they should continue doing what they are doing until something shows that it is not working.

5) What will be the future role for small club owners withen the USAT and do they have a chance in ther competitors making it?

Absolutely. If a competitor wants it bad enough they will find a way to make it work. That is our situation right now.

6) Will the trouble of the USAT ever come to an end with the athletes being first and foremost?

I don't think anyone can predict where the USAT will be in a month, year, 2 years etc. And you would be foolish to do so.

7) Please give you opinion about what well happen next year without proper rferee's?

I would certainly prefer the most qualified referees around, refing events where teams are selected. At the same time, as long as 2 fighters are being judged by the same ref's, I don't think that is unfair in any way as both are playing by the same standard. As far as what will specifically happen next year, no one can say right now.

Terry

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mango.Man see my stituation is this my oldest will be13 in march he is a great competitor and has devoted 7 years in the sport side for a shot at the OLympics, right now they do not care about him and in two year with all this stuff going on he may not want to be a part of what he started.

So see your daughter right now is in pretty good shape as long as she stays on top if she falters just a little they will drop her for the next instead of working with her.

If you would like you can PM me I'm intrigued to who your daughter is I know just about all of the top players.

Terry

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am 100% behind the mission statement. I would like to be behind the direction, "get on the train" but no one knows where the train is going!
Never limited it to just USAT, USAT does not provide any international competition prior to Junior worlds and this creates a problem for the athletes that have never competed internationally. Tournaments like the Mexico Open and Canadian open are excellent experience. Tekno is getting another national circuit up on running.
3) Are you happy with the USAT and them only caring about a certain level of players
I am not sure that is the case, what is more disturbing is the fact that they are not looking out for the Juniors. They are the ones that will be replacing the seniors and soon. We have had the same seniors for the past 6 or so years not many juniors replacing those. They need to focus more on the juniors we have some very talented juniors that need to be prepared.
Yes, it should bother everyone, this is a non-profit organization and it mission is the betterment of athletes. Name one other sport that has a private contractor that controls all aspects of the sport.
5) What will be the future role for small club owners within the USAT and do they have a chance in there competitors making it?
This is no different than they accused the Koreans of doing and having ghost membership! The schools "any" can become an HLTC! This is suppose to make you the "best" It is very simple, a competitor should make it because they are the best. We will never have the best with out the best referees in the ring. Mr. Askinas wants to blame the International Referees in Vietnam for the poor record of the Junior world team. The problem started her not there. Think about how great this HLTC would be "IF" it was put in place to offer what it ws meant to offer. Focus on the athletes that had the potential of making it all the way!

I would like to hope so, but it will only happen when we decide what the sport really is all about and follow just that. After 2008 I do not see the USAT being able to hold on to the NGB status. After Steven retires we really have no one to step up and take his place. Why? We have given no focus on the athletes! again we have plenty of talent, but the international world is quit different!

The same thing that happened last year! There will be lot's up upset coaches, athletes that are disappointed and not willing to train. These kids give up so much for that moment. I have always said loosing makes you stronger, I do not want to use the word cheating as I do not think it's cheating I think it's lack of experience, but that is what makes athletes quit.
It is not worth what they have to give up in that year/s of training.
Will this sport ever be perfect, no nothing is. However I believe that there is much that can be done to fix it and focus on the athletes and the mission. Will this ever happen, I do not know! I think it has to come from the membership. So many want to hold on to the Olympic dream, I was one for my child. But when you look at the odds, even "if" she was the best in the World, is the weight class going to be selected? The other thing to think about is that there is a real chance that the NGB is over after 2012, they have not given it to us past that. It would be great if the USA could have 2 NGB's competition changes attitudes! I believe that is the problem we are the only one and there for no need to have customer satisfaction. Look at how the telephone company changed when competition moved in. Big change!

Terry[/quote]

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I support the USA sports in this country. The USAT is going through an evolution right now, from a recreational sport to an Olympic sport. This change is going to be hard right now as it is still a little of both. I do not think it is perfect but I have seen it change many times over the last 25 years.

I would love to have my athletes compete in as many different competitions as I can. I hope to have some attend AAU competitions as well. Our problem is one of money; I have a very good athletic base to work from but students have no money to enter $60 dollar tournaments.

The USAT is supposed to identify and produce the best US athletes for international and Olympic competition. Does that leave most people out? Sure, but that is what dreams are all about. All of the athletes that I see at nationals are awesome. Some win, some lose but they are out there giving their best. It is the only way to go right now. Pick ANY sport in the country and try to become one of the best, it is just as hard.

Other Olympic sports with very similar programs, price included: Volleyball, Soccer, Track & Field, Cycling, etc. These sports organizations, along with the USOC, talk to each other. If a program is successful other sports model and use this. Because our former leaders did not have sport science backgrounds and we are a relatively new sport we did not use this paradigm. Just go to any Olympic sport page and look around. Many of them could be good models for how our sport should be (grassroots, good junior programs, coaching, etc). If you see something you like TELL the USA Taekwondo CEO, in a professional manner. You might be surprised on what will happen.

Small club owners can help support the Olympic movement and stay in touch with this evolving sport (The rules change every year, which makes it hard) by becoming members. If competition is not the focus, it is not for me, then you would have to decide what you get from it. I feel that I want to help promote my favorite pastime. I have spent many years practicing this sport and I teach hundreds of students, one of them might want to try to go to the top. I would hope that I could at least get then on the path. The cost is low and I think just the support is worth my time. I do not ask my students to become USAT members, that is their choice alone.

Yes and no. Organizations will always have troubles, that is just human nature. This is not a sport to de democratically voted on by the members but played by the athletes. The athlete is first, let’s see what they can do.

The referees will ALWAYS take the crap. The problem is that people need to realize that sport competition is subjective. The referee is first and foremost a volunteer, someone who loves the sport and give of their time selflessly. They are not perfect but a least they are out there. They are hard to come by because nobody wants to be a referee, why? Point one, the referee always takes crap.
In our sport as instructors and coaches we must make it a point to inform the athletes that the game of Taekwondo is SUBJECTIVE. If my athlete is not getting points, is that the referees fault? Is it the coach’s fault? Is it the athletes fault? It is no ones fault it is the nature of the game. Adapt and overcome. The alternative is to places blame and be unhappy, it that case do not play the game.
Referees do make bad calls but they make many more good calls. I cannot believe they do this on purpose. If I did I would not play period.

ron

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not a sport TKD guy, nor am I up on the particulars. I would defer to Master Southwick on those.

However, I do have thoughts on Olympic TKD in general. The ultimate goal of the USOC (& of every athlete & parent) is to send a team to the Olympics. The USAT, AAU or whatever it becomes in 4 or 5 years isn't as important, now. It might be something very different later. I'd suggest keeping one's eyes & options open & not worrying about putting one's eggs in one basket. USAT is good experience, even if it ultimately is the AAU that becomes "THE" organization. And the same goes if it's the reverse.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Southwick this is intended for you Sir, You know I have always supported USAT and USTU and my main objective is the athletes that are on the bubble lets say. If the USAT cannot try and examine what it does and how it looks to the general public then how can we preserve what we love so much. My son has been wanting to make the olympic team since he was 6 yrs. old that is his dream I support him every step of the way but we need programs all over the country, every athlete can't make every thing when it is always located across the country. Our grass root programs need to be available to all athlete from every aspect of life, just not the one's that can afoord to be there. He has sacrifice other hobbys in his life for the cgance of being able to try and make the team and I will make sure he has every oppotunity to do so, but not every athlete has a father that can afford this so where is the support from our USAT for those bubble athletes and how can they address the need to them.

Thank you
Master Stoker
Terry

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do have thoughts on Olympic TKD in general. The ultimate goal of the USOC (& of every athlete & parent) is to send a team to the Olympics. The USAT, AAU or whatever it becomes in 4 or 5 years isn't as important, now. It might be something very different later. I'd suggest keeping one's eyes & options open & not worrying about putting one's eggs in one basket. USAT is good experience, even if it ultimately is the AAU that becomes "THE" organization. And the same goes if it's the reverse.

Actually, the USAT is the ONLY way for a TKD athlete in the USA to get to their Olympic dream. That may change in the the years ahead, but as of today, if you have Olympic dreams in TKD, you MUST go through USAT to realize those dreams.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, the USAT is the ONLY way for a TKD athlete in the USA to get to their Olympic dream. That may change in the the years ahead, but as of today, if you have Olympic dreams in TKD, you MUST go through USAT to realize those dreams.

That is true...today. My point is simply that in the next few years it may be a different organization. In my experience with other types of organizations, it's more important to hold onto the ideal (in this case the TKD Olympic dream) than the to hold too tightly to the organization that claims to hold that dream. The way it sounds, the USAT may not be around in 2 years. I'm not wishing ill on anyone or anything. I'm just encouraging everyone to watch the horizon on this. Cuz time was when everyone thought the USTU was going to be around forever.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The USAT will be around, as long as Taekwondo is an Olympic sport. The USAT changed its name from the USTU because all of our other sports have similar names, ie. USA Soccer, USA Boxing..etc. When I began it was the AAU Taekwondo Union and then in 1986 changed to the USTU. If you want to be an Olympic sport, you have to act like one. Even if the USAT has trouble the current AAU cannot just jump in and take over. That will NEVER happen. That is not how things are done. If a decertification would occur, it would be years before another NGB could do anything. My opinion is this will not happen.

Master Stoker you ask a great question. The USAT does not have a “bad” image from the public. I would think most people do not even know that it even exists. The “bad” comes from within the organization. IMHO most members are fine with what is going on. Politics is politics and you cannot make everybody happy. The real problems come from a very few number of people out there that feel they have been cheated somehow. They want to run the organization from the members, a kind of democracy. It just does not work that way. The members have to FOLLOW what is sent down from the top. I am NOT saying that is the best way nor am I underrating any other member’s objections or complaints. People also complain about the USAT being run by a non-taekwondo person. The WTF and Kukkiwon was started and run for years by Un Yong Kim A NON TAEKWONDO PERSON. He was a sport manager not a practitioner. We all know what happened to him.
Our last and current CEO have run Olympic sport programs in this country. Why do they need to practice taekwondo? That is why WE are here. The USTU version was run by ranked taekwondo practitioners that used rank instead of good sport management to run a SPORT organization. We, as members are the teachers and developers of the athletes. They just need to know how to play the game. We are the first impressions of future athletes.
These training centers that are being set up are the beginning of getting more people into this sport. If you go to the training you will see they are designed to inform the athlete and coach how to play the game of taekwondo. People complain about a karate school or other art buying into one of these programs but IMHO they are just getting more athletes into the game. They would still have to develop and train just like other taekwondo students or they would not field successful athletes. In a way it is like converting them to taekwondo, kind of smart for a sport to do. More people practicing = more potential athletes to look at.
If I was giving advice to anyone who has a dream to be a taekwondo Olympian I would say FOLLOW what the NGB is doing and participate. Good athletes will get to the top by their own desire. For those teaching and coaching take the AC course at least and decide for yourself. If you do not learn something then you must already be at the top. If you want to get to the top GET INVOLVED.

ron

Latest Discussions