NEED HELP...please!

poollshark

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you go the dvd route then I suggest the original "Karate Kid". Just do what Danny does and in a few short months you'll be an expert. Don't forget to master the Crane technique. "If do right, no can defend." :headbangin:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
White spike
Most arts deal with hand to hand. Go do research.
You express interest in ninjutsu which Mr.Parker
Has said impossible without a teacher. You express
interest in wushu which again were told you need a teacher.
in general you have been told you need a teacher.
Martial talk can help you and give you advice. If we knew
Your location maybe someone knows someone in the area.
A lot of guys form training groups, find the nearest teacher and work
Under the teacher guidelines. I know someone who
does not have a teacher close to him. But he is in contact with
His teacher in the next city, visits 2-3 times a month trains with
Some small group that vista the teacher or the teacher has seminars for them.
But as far as I know he doesn't spend money on books
and DVDs. I have DVDs of my teacher doing the forms
I see him weekly and I still need corrections and I
Have been doing this art for 5 years!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? We might be able to offer some guidance if you share what country or city you live in.

But you need, first, to figure out what you want. Your answer to me was vague and your posts about what styles you're interested in are all over the place. Second, you need to accept that you almost certainly need to work with an actual instructor

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To follow up all of the above, if you are only sixteen I am assuming that you still live with your parents? If you are being bullied then isn't the first best port of call to talk to them about it?

If you are seeking some form of quick-fix from martial arts you are going to be quite disappointed, for it takes years to get competent enough at an art for it to make any significant difference to your being able to fight.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First off, let me know reinforce my first reaction. There is no 'true' substitute for an actual Instructor!!

It's like telling someone "I wanna learn how to swim to save people". Sure you could possibly self teach yourself on how to swim, and possibly on how to save someone. But isn't it safer and more effective to learn by an actual person, I.E. Instructor? (probably a poor analogy, I've been up for over 48 hours, working!)

Secondly, If your not sure about Martial Arts, then why not look into a basic self defense course?

Lastly, Sukerkin is absolutely right, it takes years to fully learn an Art, much less learn to fight effectively!

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone....

I need something with few grabs(i dont like grabs),fast hits(punches,kicks,air kicks etc),stances to choose(defence,offence),acrobatics can be involved.

Im flexible and fast,not very strong but im doing weight lifting,push ups,sit ups etc...so i will be stronger.

Anything matches my criteria?

And i dont like boxing...i need something that has alot of techniques.

Please help me!!!

I'm not sure how many techniques are involved, but how about gymnastics? The flexibility and speed will be helpful and you will build strength without having to grab, hit or be hit, etc.

Besides, if you are that fast, why fight? Just run!

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is best to first take a look at chinese traditional styles of kung fu, chugung to add to your pushups and situps. Sounds like you may want to learn about wingchun.

But to really deal with fighting, you would be better off learning grabs,throws and holds of judo and as striker become able to deal with western boxing styles even if you prefer other styles such as karate or kungfu. Keep in mind, if your passionate about kicking skills, it would be great to become familiar with taekyondo which is quite acrobatic.

You could even go all out and train weapons such as kobudo sword or spear...

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I'll play devil's advocate. I'd suggest Kukkiwon style Taekwondo. Lots of spinning kicks, literally thousands of different techniques, striking focused (At least with me, there are ten grab escapes you have to do to BB and a bit more "understanding based" grappling beyond that) and your first techniques will give you a solid understanding of striking and "fight IQ".

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would suggest first to talk with your parents about the desire to learn a martial art. And, investigate in your area to find someone that teaches or a school. You might not know, but there really might be a school or teacher within a reasonable distance. Most kids and even adults don't look carefully. When I worked at at TKD school, I don't know how many times people would come in, and say, is this school new? It wasn't here before... (but the school had been there nearly 2 years, and there's a giant balloon for about a year to advertise that it was there, lol. observation skills...)

Try getting a part time job to pay for the school. If someone bothers you, really just avoid the person. getting a part time job might solve more problems than you think.

Then, if you still have need or desire to do martial arts, learn from a school or person that you had searched out. Do not learn from youtube, books, or videos, as those can only supplement your training. You will likely injure yourself or fail in some other miserable way by copying moves on youtube.

And, good luck to your training when you find it!

j-squared

White Belt
Reaction score
I can virtually guarantee you won't use acrobatics in a real fight.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The art you are looking for is called "Tricking". I don't have any good links to it's use in a fight, but here is a 51 minute documentary on it that should get you started:

And please stop calling me Shirley.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
This might just be because I'm in a less-than joyous mood, but no, there is nothing that suits your request. There are a number of reasons for this, including the fact that what you're asking for goes against why you're asking for it (to get able to defend yourself in a short amount of time, or even just to gave that as an aim, will take you towards less techniques, not more), as well as the detail that you are coming at this with no experience or knowledge other than movies to inform you about what is good or not (while not having any actual knowledge of any of them at all), and so on.

To be frank, you describe yourself as a 16 year old kid who lives in a "god forgotten country" with no actual martial art schools around you... it doesn't matter how stubborn you are, you cannot learn any martial art with noexperience without an instructor. At all. In fact, being stubborn can be a bad thing here, as it's stopping you from recognizing what you're being told, which can lead you to try what you're talking about here (DVDs and books as learning material), which can do far more harm than good. Especially if you start thinking you've learnt something, go after this other person, and get yourself severely beaten or worse as you've missed the actual training methodology (which cannot be given via DVDs or books) which is what makes these things work, not the techniques.

When it comes to being able to afford anything, again, you're a 16 year old kid living who knows where, so I'm kinda doubting that. If you are really independently wealthy, and you're interested in learning martial arts, move somewhere where there's a school. Without that, there's no chance.

Nothing. And the books and DVDs won't do anything other than give you a false feeling of knowledge. This plan has no chance.

So much hate and bitterness.....
..and the best part is his signature. :ultracool

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't actually seem to know what you're arguing against, there.... is this just because you couldn't understand basic questions about your "new martial art"?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Admin Note

Since this thread has already generated a number of complaints, let me address a few things.

1) Disagreeing with someone is a part of life. Accept it and deal with it...it happens.

2) Just because you disagree with someone, doesn't mean that people should run around reporting every single thread or post. That is RTM abuse and against the forum rules.

3) Using the rep system to target people that you disagree with, so you can leave rude comments, is also a violation.

4) Lets keep the rest of the thread civil please.

In closing, we're dealing with a number of issues from this thread. It may take a day or so for all of us to review things, but rest assure we are addressing things.

MJS
MT Asst. Admin

Latest Discussions