Need help identifying this form

evelbug

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am studying at a TKD club at the Air Force base at which I work. We have members from all different styles and masters, so we practice a variety of styles. The majority of what we do is Moo Duk Kwan/Tang Su Do patterns. We recently had a new black belt join the club and he has been showing us his forms. The first one he has showed us is unlike anything we have done before and I was hoping to find some info or videos on it to help me learn. He says it is Tae Kuk Il Jang I pattern, first form. However it doesn't look look like the WTF Tae Kuk forms. I have posted a video I took last week. I apologize about the quality, it is a handheld cel phone video. If anyone could help me find more info, I'd appreciate it.

[video=youtube_share;HZdD020GQ_s]http://youtu.be/HZdD020GQ_s[/video]

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what it is but I know what it isn't. It isn't a TKD form from the Palgwe, Taegeuk or Chang Hon systems.
Additionally, "Tae Kuk Il Jang I pattern, first form" is clearly from the Department of Redundancy Department. Because "taegeuk il jang" means "the first taegeuk form"
I would enquire directly about his prior training.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I can tell you it is not any W.T.F. poomsae especially the Tae Gueks and not Il Jang and not even in the Tae Guek family. Sorry but I have been in T.K.D. for forty years and have never seen that poomsae.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I woulds also ask to see his credential, because his stances and movements are not that of a black belt in my opinion.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The form he does appears to be straight back and-forth, I didn't see the "I pattern".

He is looking down through most of the form, and his punches remind me of the students in my class (which is the beginner class). I've also never seen a form which has you enter the ready position in the middle.

Re: redundancy, my master usually says "Palgwe Il Jang, Form #1" so we hear it in both English and Korean. So the redundancy might not be bad.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Looks like one of the Kibon forms that were around years ago. Hard to say, as I kept getting distracted by his unusual posture and head nodding. I agree that one would expect more from a black belt performing a basic form.

It's certainly nothing to do with Taegeuk.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: redundancy, my master usually says "Palgwe Il Jang, Form #1" so we hear it in both English and Korean. So the redundancy might not be bad.

I do that too. For beginners. Not for black belts.
And I like to think when I say taegeuk il jang, I'll see it. Not whatever this is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I recall seeing a set of "I-shaped" forms years ago called Taegeuk, nothing to do with the current KKW forms, apparently practiced in the Ji Do Kwan. I think there were 5 or 6 of them.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recall seeing a set of "I-shaped" forms years ago called Taegeuk, nothing to do with the current KKW forms, apparently practiced in the Ji Do Kwan. I think there were 5 or 6 of them.

I can't add more than that, but I don't think the gentleman is making up anything. I've also seen a form on YT called Tae Geuk that looked nothing at all like the official KKW versions. I chalked it up then to the performer being mistaken, but your explanation sounds reasonable.

As for his form... well, he appears to be older and clearly has some physical challenges. <shrugs> No need to argue about what a black belt means again, right?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

When I studied TKD in the mid-60s I think there was a form with some of those moves, but I don't think altogether like that.

As to stances and techniques, it seems a lot of things have changed. We did most things from bent knees, and our punches were generally with squared shoulders. If we stepped, we ended with our trailing leg straight. We tried to have a series of straight lines and 90 degree angles, from our trailing foot flat on the ground, our shoulders squared, to our punching arm, wrist, and fist. The link below, as well as others I have seen, indicates those things are no longer done.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looking purely at the techniques, I'd guess it to serve as similar 'beginner form' purpose to the kibon poomsae. As widespread and well-documented as the history of the kibon poomsae is, I wouldn't be surprised to find that someone, somewhere, decided they wanted to be different and created their own 'beginner form'. Just guesses, but I also support the theory of a shooter on the Grassy Knoll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest Discussions